• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Although I take my hat off to him for his ton under such personal scrutiny, I do find it odd that he thanked Lara Bingle for her support - when she was the cause of the drama to begin with. Obviously criticising her publicly wouldn't have been a good look, no matter what his private feelings were, but it just seems like a strange thing to do, given that they just went through an acrimonious breakup.
Thought he showed as much class in that moment as any human could after the week he's had. That was quality.

He's also plainly shown he's ready, in terms of dealing with the media off-field, to step up once Ponting retires.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought he showed as much class in that moment as any human could after the week he's had. That was quality.

He's also plainly shown he's ready, in terms of dealing with the media off-field, to step up once Ponting retires.
Yeah, has been very impressive with this whole ordeal, especially after yesterday's play.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain

Oh, I'm not denying that it was classy and considerate - I just don't think that she really deserves it, that's all.

andyc

Oh, I'm not denying that it was classy and considerate - I just don't think that she really deserves it, that's all.
I might be missing something, but what's she done wrong since being with Clarke?

Jayzamann

International Regular
Don't think any IPL club want him, tbh.
True, he hasn't proven himself in the format with a potentially monstrous price tag, but he is marketable and the two new franchises next year will be looking for someone like that to put a face to a team - the same way the icon players worked in IPL1.

pasag

RTDAS
True, he hasn't proven himself in the format with a potentially monstrous price tag, but he is marketable and the two new franchises next year will be looking for someone like that to put a face to a team - the same way the icon players worked in IPL1.
IPL clubs don't care so much about marketable anymore. They did at first but now they realise that having all the big faces but losing all the games = not fun and not profitable.

Johnners

DaRick, I've deleted your post as you're basically slandering Bingle based on nothing but rumours where there is most certainly doubts about their validity. It's the second time (iirc) you've gone down this path with this particular subject, so I'd suggest that if you can't comment on it without treading into what is unwanted territory from a CW perspective, that you dont' comment at all.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
IPL clubs don't care so much about marketable anymore. They did at first but now they realise that having all the big faces but losing all the games = not fun and not profitable.
I suppose an excellent example of that was how Rajasthan was able to turn a profit after IPL1 with no real glamour signings outside of Shane Warne.

andyc

Indeed. Realise it's the Herald Sun, but that's really appalling, especailly considering how graceful he was after his innings towards her.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well all that's basically happened this last fortnight is that my admiration/attachment to Clarke as a player (that cover drive...) and as a future captain has been strengthened... and I have a newfound utter contempt for tabloid journalism in all its forms.

Makes me sick to my stomach.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nice moment after the press conference yesterday - the players realised it was all over, Clarke got up, and gave a fist pump because none of the journos had asked him any questions about the Bingle situation. Ponting chuckled and the journos laughed.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice moment after the press conference yesterday - the players realised it was all over, Clarke got up, and gave a fist pump because none of the journos had asked him any questions about the Bingle situation. Ponting chuckled and the journos laughed.
:laugh:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
DaRick, I've deleted your post as you're basically slandering Bingle based on nothing but rumours where there is most certainly doubts about their validity. It's the second time (iirc) you've gone down this path with this particular subject, so I'd suggest that if you can't comment on it without treading into what is unwanted territory from a CW perspective, that you dont' comment at all.
Sorry, Clapo. From this time forth (i.e - from the time I've posted this), I'll refrain from mentioning her.