View Poll Results: In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tests, ODIs and 20/20

5 8.33%
  • Tests and ODIs

38 63.33%
  • Tests and 20/20

0 0%
  • ODIs and 20/20

0 0%
  • Tests only

14 23.33%
  • ODIs only

0 0%
  • 20/20 only

3 5.00%
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Clarke Discussion thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Probably why he doesn't.
    My mistake. I got his and KP's stats all jumbled up in my mind. Still those numbers don't suggest he is a super test batman with no obvious weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    He obviously must have his own problems or he wouldn't be averaging less than 50 innit? He has problems like the waft outside off stump (which is a common one), slight issues with his temperament, (after blocking scores, suddenly jumps out premediated at a delivery resulting in his own innings demise), suspect against class swing bowling... none of these are glaring and are more or less common across all batsmen, but the sum of such deficiencies add up in his case.
    He does average 50 and 57 since his recall. I don't think you have a case and he's the best player of class swing bowling in the side, IMO. Or are you going off his batting pre-dropping?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    I doubt he'll come across many bowlers better or as good as Mohammad Asif and he did a hell of allot better against Asif then what Clarke did.
    Haha courtesy how many dropped catches? Also has he ever performed in the subcontinent? Or look likely to with his deer-in-the-headlights approach to spin bowling?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    his inability to play decent spin.
    This. He looked so nervous against the likes of Benn. Would like to see how he does against a better spinner, in conditions for it.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

My mistake. I got his and KP's stats all jumbled up in my mind. Still those numbers don't suggest he is a super test batman with no obvious weaknesses.
    He doesn't have any obvious weaknesses, but he's not a "super Test batsmen" either. IMO he's one of the best in the world, but has a long way to go if he wants to be remembered in history and he really needs to a couple of MoYo 2006s to get there where he really feasts on the bowling.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    He does average 50 and 57 since his recall. I don't think you have a case and he's the best player of class swing bowling in the side, IMO. Or are you going off his batting pre-dropping?
    Pasag, just clarifying do you mean to say Clarke is without any weaknesses whatsoever? That I disagree. As to your point that he is averaging 57, that only strengthens my argument that he is one of the undroppables in the current Aussie side. In fact perhaps the first name on the sheet.

Edit - Just read the above post.

Banned
    He doesn't have any obvious weaknesses, but he's not a "super Test batsmen" either. IMO he's one of the best in the world, but has a long way to go if he wants to be remembered in history and he really needs to a couple of MoYo 2006s to get there where he really feasts on the bowling.
    Well that shows about 95% agreement as to our ideas about Clarke the test batsman. His weaknesses are "common" and not "glaringly obvious". Perhaps those might become glaring once his current purple run ends. A real test will be when he will have to take up the mantle of both the prime batsman and captaincy from Ponting, and when he no longer would have the comfort of Hussey at the other end.

International 12th Man
    Haha courtesy how many dropped catches? Also has he ever performed in the subcontinent? Or look likely to with his deer-in-the-headlights approach to spin bowling?
    He performed well against Pakistan in the ODI's in the subcontient. Have to wait and see how he goes on his future tours of the subcontient, now that he has found his feet at Test level.

he really needs to a couple of MoYo 2006s to get there where he really feasts on the bowling.
    Don't think that feasting on weak bowling attacks will enhance his cause much further.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    In terms of pure performance, Clarke's scored the 9th most runs of anyone in the world since his recall (in 2006). The second best Australian on the list, behind Ponting, but averaging 7 more than him.

List of batsmen with 2000+ runs since April 2006

Banned
    He performed well against Pakistan in the ODI's in the subcontient. Have to wait and see how he goes on his future tours of the subcontient, now that he has found his feet at Test level.

Don't think that feasting on weak bowling attacks will enhance his cause much further.
    When did he play Pakistan in the subcontinent?

He indeed played in India in 2008 and impressed me more as a bowler than a batsman. He often looked a walking wicket, unsure of going on the front foot or back foot and often choosing the wrong option in the end. But his bowling was world class in that tour and is horribly underrated.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    In terms of pure performance, Clarke's scored the 9th most runs of anyone in the world since his recall (in 2006). The second best Australian on the list, behind Ponting, but averaging 7 more than him.

List of batsmen with 2000+ runs since April 2006
    His average was bolstered during the Ashes 06/07, Sri Lanka 07 and India 07/08 where he cashed in heavily after coming in at 3/300 during 95% of his innings' during those series. He finished not out acouple times whilst on a 100 due to declaration, which boosted his average to the mid-high 40's and it plattered around there for a year or so before he had a decent series in England where it rose to 50.

International 12th Man
    When did he play Pakistan in the subcontinent?
    Last year in the UAE. Watson averaged 90 against Ajmal and Afridi.

Banned
    Last year in the UAE. Watson averaged 90 against Ajmal and Afridi.
    Since when did UAE become part of the "Indian subcontinent"? Which of course is what people refer to as "subcontinent" in cricketing circles?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    In cricketing terms UAE is generally said to be part of Asia, even though it's not actually on the subcontinent as India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh are.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The pitches and conditions for that series were very typical of the subcontinent too. It's a bit of a moot point that it wasn't technically in the subcontinent.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread Information