• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Two of the worst things to come out of this whole saga are both deserved of much comment on their own:

1. Roebuck's ridiculous article (wac) and the subsequent editing of an article criticising it in The Age
2. Articles being published based on rubbish - some plumbers decided to have a bit of a laugh so they told newspapers that they were called to Bingle's house to fish the engagement ring out the toilet. The papers published it straight away.
What was the subsequent story? I missed that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think him going out to such a public place that night, of all nights, shows that he likes the attention.
Way things have been, he could have walked down to Bondi for a pizza and that would have been "such a public place".

Establishment is the curent "Jersey Shore" of Sydney bars/ clubs tbf though.

pasag

RTDAS
One of the threads that was probably merged into this one (stupidly imo), was one that was started in response to a NUFAN comment about Clarke only scoring easy runs around 2008, based on pretty conclusive stats. Added concerns was his constant getting out before the end of the day (concentration issues) and his lack of big innings when the side was in need.

Today he scored a ton only a few days after probably the most difficult week of his life, lasted till stumps (now done this a few times) and as we've seen over the past year or so has really shown the ability to play the big innings when required. Australia weren't in the mire today when Clarke came in, but things were evenly poised and he really shifted everything in Australia's balance. Such a good Test batsman (stil wurst odi batzman eva!!!).

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
One of the threads that was probably merged into this one (stupidly imo), was one that was started in response to a NUFAN comment about Clarke only scoring easy runs around 2008, based on pretty conclusive stats. Added concerns was his constant getting out before the end of the day (concentration issues) and his lack of big innings when the side was in need.

Today he scored a ton only a few days after probably the most difficult week of his life, lasted till stumps (now done this a few times) and as we've seen over the past year or so has really shown the ability to play the big innings when required. Australia weren't in the mire today when Clarke came in, but things were evenly poised and he really shifted everything in Australia's balance. Such a good Test batsman (stil wurst odi batzman eva!!!).
Yeah, he's really shone in the last year in such scenarios.

The two that stand out to me is the Brisbane 98 last season out of about 200, gave the total a minor modicum of respectability, and also the 70-odd with Ricky at the start of the SA tour last year. Both really good innings, deserved a 100 in both.

I didn't think that him getting out before stumps was that bad a problem though, maybe I'm just not attentive to such things - was he getting out last ball/over again and again a few years ago? I definitely agree with you on concentration issues though, that's what frustrated me during the early part of this summer until the Hobart innings - he looked a player in top form but kept getting out in silly ways, usually slashing at a wide ball with no footwork. So it's great to see him really knuckle down and wait out a long, long dry period where everything is pitched on a good length outside off, and just leave everything until he was ready.

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Although I take my hat off to him for his ton under such personal scrutiny, I do find it odd that he thanked Lara Bingle for her support - when she was the cause of the drama to begin with. Obviously criticising her publicly wouldn't have been a good look, no matter what his private feelings were, but it just seems like a strange thing to do, given that they just went through an acrimonious breakup.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Although I take my hat off to him for his ton under such personal scrutiny, I do find it odd that he thanked Lara Bingle for her support - when she was the cause of the drama to begin with. Obviously criticising her publicly wouldn't have been a good look, no matter what his private feelings were, but it just seems like a strange thing to do, given that they just went through an acrimonious breakup.
that's only if you believe the media, who are utterly untrustworthy. the real story is probably very different and known only to a select few, all of whom are in NZ right now.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I would be very very surprised if Clarke played in the IPL... well, ever, really. Perhaps when he retires.
I personally think being given the national t20 captaincy would make him reconsider his IPL shunning. If anything, the extra experience in the format would do him no harm.