• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pasag

RTDAS
I think the issue that you and a lot of people have with him is shown in your comment that "some people carefully cultivate their image". That carries an unmistakable tang of disapproval unless I'm much mistaken - that by seeking sponsorship opportunities he's done something sordid and that he's now getting his just desserts when it turns on him. I don't get why that should be the case. I don't really think he's done anything untoward to 'cultivate' his image. Often, and I'm not saying this is why in your case, that hostility seems to stem from a perception that because of people like Clarke's success in getting sponsors they are overrated in terms of their profession, and perhaps even exempt from the levels of scrutiny others get. And hence, he deserves what he gets when the media cycle turns.
eh? look at my industry and then get back to me. You miss the point because you try and tell me what I'm saying, you're trying to fit my views in with others (whether it be Caroline Wilson, or whichever idiot Collingwod supporters you speak to on a regular basis) and make my arguments for me.

At the end of the day, I don't judge, dislike or have any feelings of schadenfreude towards any party involved. I just note that people make choices and their choices have trade offs and consequences that they have to live with.

At no stage did I criticise Clarke for his behaviour. All I asked is, what did he expect?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If you sell the story of your engagement for $$$, I don't see how you can be surprised when you split up that the media are all over it. Especially if you sold another story for $$$ about your private life just a week earlier. There's definitely a distinction between players who take on sponsorship deals and have a certain image, and people who actually sell stories of their personal lives to the media.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
eh? look at my industry and then get back to me. You miss the point because you try and tell me what I'm saying, you're trying to fit my views in with others (whether it be Caroline Wilson, or whichever idiot Collingwod supporters you speak to on a regular basis) and make my arguments for me.

At the end of the day, I don't judge, dislike or have any feelings of schadenfreude towards any party involved. I just note that people make choices and their choices have trade offs and consequences that they have to live with.

At no stage did I criticise Clarke for his behaviour. All I asked is, what did he expect?
Have I upset you Zac?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you sell the story of your engagement for $$$, I don't see how you can be surprised when you split up that the media are all over it. Especially if you sold another story for $$$ about your private life just a week earlier. There's definitely a distinction between players who take on sponsorship deals and have a certain image, and people who actually sell stories of their personal lives to the media.
Exactly, if you want to profit from being recognisable then unfortunately you don't get to pick and choose. If you want your privacy then you have to accept that it'll take greater means than the average person, especially given you're making money out of not being the average person.

You can't say "I only want to be in the papers and magazines when I'm making some cash out of it".

Far, far more famous people than Michael Clarke and Lara Bingle manage to keep themselves pretty quiet.

Exactly, if you want to profit from being recognisable then unfortunately you don't get to pick and choose. If you want your privacy then you have to accept that it'll take greater means than the average person, especially given you're making money out of not being the average person.

You can't say "I only want to be in the papers and magazines when I'm making some cash out of it".

Far, far more famous people than Michael Clarke and Lara Bingle manage to keep themselves pretty quiet.
To take someones photo you should ask permission, if they decline you should not take their photo. I cant see it being anymore simpler than that.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To take someones photo you should ask permission, if they decline you should not take their photo. I cant see it being anymore simpler than that.
Would $200,000 change your opinion?

EDIT: As far as the girls in the bar go I agree. I certainly wouldn't take the photo in that situation. Working with the media is another thing though.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
I don't think anyone thinks what the girls did was right in any way.

Moving on...

Clarke's media appearance this morning was amazing. He's the most media savvy person to come out of Australian cricket ever. Rest assured if he's captain there will never be any controversy started from something he said at a press conference. He was cool, calm and very gracefully pushed aside any specific questions about his private life.

howardj

International Coach
I think him going out to such a public place that night, of all nights, shows that he likes the attention.

I think him going out to such a public place that night, of all nights, shows that he likes the attention.

Or he could have been persuaded by his friends to come out and have a good time instead of hiding away all the time.

But I dont know the facts so I could be wrong.

Sir Alex

Banned
Clarkey has definitely gone a few notches above in my estimation as Aussie captain. He took off the ODIs largely inconsequential, went in, had talks, understaood he had to either go for Bingle or his cricket, chose the latter wisely, dumped the former for good reason, and now promptly back for the tests where he is most needed. I used to be a vociferous critic of his but now am a fan.

Spark

Global Moderator
Now he just needs a miracle back cure and fix his unfortunate penchant for flaying at balls two metres outside off and he'll sail through his 30s.

pasag

RTDAS
Two of the worst things to come out of this whole saga are both deserved of much comment on their own:

1. Roebuck's ridiculous article (wac) and the subsequent editing of an article criticising it in The Age
2. Articles being published based on rubbish - some plumbers decided to have a bit of a laugh so they told newspapers that they were called to Bingle's house to fish the engagement ring out the toilet. The papers published it straight away.

Spark

Global Moderator
Two of the worst things to come out of this whole saga are both deserved of much comment on their own:

1. Roebuck's ridiculous article (wac) and the subsequent editing of an article criticising it in The Age
2. Articles being published based on rubbish - some plumbers decided to have a bit of a laugh so they told newspapers that they were called to Bingle's house to fish the engagement ring out the toilet. The papers published it straight away.
Yeah, we've seen the very worst of journalism in this saga. I wouldn't have blamed Clarke at all if he just told them all to **** off - unfortunately the consequences of doing so would've been, well, horrendous. I think part of the reason he's gotten off so lightly is because, he is still reasonably friendly (or at least appears to be) with the media, which is something I would not be capable of in the same situation.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Didn't follow this saga at all so I never read the Roebuck article. I'm really glad tbh because nothing annoys me more than a **** Roebuck article, and they aren't exactly in short supply.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarkey has definitely gone a few notches above in my estimation as Aussie captain. He took off the ODIs largely inconsequential, went in, had talks, understaood he had to either go for Bingle or his cricket, chose the latter wisely, dumped the former for good reason, and now promptly back for the tests where he is most needed. I used to be a vociferous critic of his but now am a fan.
Christ you're fickle.