• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gautam Gambhir with an average of 41 and strike rate of 86 is the sixth best Indian batsman. That's absolutely sick.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really shows how little I've been watching global ODIs of late that I've just not realised how good Raina's been recently.
**** India play too much limited overs stuff/
When they've got so many good players, why TF wouldn't you?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really shows how little I've been watching global ODIs of late that I've just not realised how good Raina's been recently.

When they've got so many good players, why TF wouldn't you?
He got out to a short ball about twice and everyone concluded that he was soft/couldn't play on bouncy tracks/ had unsurmountable technical weaknesses. The most comical suggestion was that bowlers had "figured him out". Because obviously it takes fast bowlers a couple of years to find out how good against the short ball a young Indian batsman is.

wood-e

Cricket Spectator
I dont like pup

As much as i dislike Michael Clarke with a passion. He is a great Test batsman and even in ODI's he plays his role perfectly, very similar role that Paul Collingwood plays for England in the middle overs. Australia has one multiple series in a row and unlike their Test side its very difficult to see and cracks in their ODI side.

Clarke deserves his position in the Test and ODI side.

As far as 20 20 is concerned why in gods name would the captaincy go to someone who doesnt even take the game seriously. Let alone his ordinary strike rate and not even one score over 50 in 20 20 games of any sort.

Cam White should have been given the captaincy what are everyone thoughts on this?

pasag

RTDAS
Unbelievable batting lineup on paper. You've got the world's all-time greatest ODI bat, perhaps the most destructive player since Viv, perhaps the best wk-bat off all-time and Yuvraj and Gambhir who would both walk into any side in the world and be the best bat in a few of them. Too bad the bowlers are poo.

Well the critics were calling for Huss to be dropped and he has shoved their words right back up their arse, it will only be time before Clarke does the same. I expect some posters will get very bitter about Clarke, it seems to happen to all the Aussie players. First it was Watson is no good and Ponting should be stripped of his captaincy. I suppose that is what makes these critics so bitter, getting it wrong so often. Clarke aint going nowhere and will be the next Australian ODI captain and deservedly so.

pasag

RTDAS
No one is saying that Marsh is doing well. But he's a new player and we think he'll get better. If he doesn't then he should be goneskis as well.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I am a big fan of Clarke, but it baffles me why he never goes the slog (I'm mainly talking about ODIs here).

Don't get me wrong, I know everybody has their role in the team, and Clarke's is very different to that of Watson, Hussey, White and Johnson. I certainly do not expect him to come out in every game and score 50 off 30 balls.

What concerns me is that he NEVER plays like this. Look at his ODI innings list;

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

You can see a couple of fast scoring knocks, including 2 in a row against the Netherlands and South Africa. The thing is, they are very few and far between, almost to the point of it being uncanny. This being said (to answer the original question) I believe he should play test and ODI cricket, but not Twenty20 until he proves he is competent in the format.

Once again, I think he is a great batsman and plays his role in the ODI side very well. I would just love to see him play one Afridi-esque innings involving a few sixes and a strike rate of 150 just to prove he can, because being as good of a batsman that he is it would be a surprise if he could not.