• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Dont underestmate Watson it looks now as though his bowling is not going to reach a very high standerd but his batting is world class..

Batting is World Class despite the fact he's not played a Test and his ODI average owes more than a little to his 9 not outs from 17 (he doesn't even score quickly in ODIs!)

Surely one can only be a World Class batsman when they play Internationally?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Bowling properly? How is that an excuse?

Watson isn't bowling properly now.

It's only in the next 2 years or so he'll be bowling properly.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Hmm I suppose it depends on how you define "world class"

Some people here seem to think Tikolo and Odumbe are world class, I think Bashar is world class...so I don't see how Hick isn't. He has such a superb record, just unfulfilled at international level but I don't think that means he was a not-so-great player...

Put it down to whatever you want, but Hick has to be rated highly IMO...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
He wasn't bowling properly then.

It's only in the last 2 years or so he's been bowling properly.
Averages suggest he certainly wasn't, Watson's coming back from injury, is it fair to suggest he's not bowling properly too?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Sounds eminently sensible to me (at least for a try) - he's not exactly had a fair crack of the whip in the big game
His last tour of the subcontinent wasn't exactly productive in Test cricket, unfortunately you don't get too many chances in the Oz team at the moment.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
His last tour of the subcontinent wasn't exactly productive in Test cricket, unfortunately you don't get too many chances in the Oz team at the moment.
He's not the first to be undone by Murali's eyes

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jnr. said:
To me, Watson seems like he would be a better Test player than he would be an ODI player (ie I think he is better suited to the longer form of the game).
I've thought that ever since I've examined his situation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sledger said:
talented batsman and the future of australian cricket or overated?
Both.
There are many commentators (especially here in England) who seem to be under the impression he is far better than IMO he currently is.
But equally there is no doubting he has a lot of potential and could be a big part of the future of Australian cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke has both high potential and real class.

He looks as if he belongs and thats something for one so young and more so in a side as strong as Australia.

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:

He looks as if he belongs and thats something for one so young and more so in a side as strong as Australia.
second that

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i think watties should get a go in tests... in saying that, i can imagine michael under a baggy green quite well. both future test players i reckon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:

Clarke is 23 with 4 seasons under his belt - he's not that young.
He's also not been at all convincing in his ODI career to date - he had a fantastic start (average of 208 after 4 innings).
Since then he's averaged 29.13 when you remove Zimbabwe games (perfectly legitimate, given that Zimbabwe have not been ODI standard from WC2003 onwards).
Still to convince as far as I'm concerned.