• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Darren Berry called him out on SEN the other day. Was saying he's woeful at the format (T20s) and shouldn't even be playing let alone captain.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well concerns with Michael Clarke just don't seem to die, 18 months ago was struggling to cement a place in the test side, despite being one of the better limited overs batsman in the world, and now though he has improved beyond recognition as a test cricketer, his limited overs game is in complete mess.
Don't really care tbh, as long as he keeps piling up the runs in Tests.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stats from NUFAN

Would be intruiged to know how much these stats have changed since you made this post NUFAN (see this as, I cbf looking myself :p) Easily our most reliable batsmen over the past 18 months. WAG

Jakester1288

International Regular
Future of Australian Test cricket, will be the 3, 4 or 5 for years to come. Possibly even captain soon enough. Will probably captain the Twenty20 team, even though he shouldn't even be playing, and ODI team after Ponting. I think he's still got it as an ODI player, Twenty20 is just way out of his league.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dead-set, there must be more Michael Clarke threads on CW than those about just about any other individual player.

Should merge them all sometime.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, perhaps "any other player who wasn't already established as one of the best players in history when CW came into existence" might be a better way of putting it.

pup11

International Coach
Future of Australian Test cricket, will be the 3, 4 or 5 for years to come. Possibly even captain soon enough. Will probably captain the Twenty20 team, even though he shouldn't even be playing, and ODI team after Ponting. I think he's still got it as an ODI player, Twenty20 is just way out of his league.
I think Clarke really needs to decide which is the best way for him to bat, because the way he is batting atm, he is going to do no favours to either him or his team, and though its his ODI and T20 game that seems most effected by his current style of batting, but I think the effects have started to show in his test game as well, though the problem might not seem to be as obvious as it is in ODIs or T20.

A lot of people might say that since he has curtailed his aggression as a batsman he has been scoring runs at a very consistent rate in both Tests and ODIs, but I think those runs are not really hurting the opposition, and the problem is that with him being one of the more experieced and better players in the current side, he needs to make more an impression for a player of his class.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

Pretty interested to hear what people think. Though I fear the general public's views will differ from those on CricketWeb.

Mr Mxyzptlk

If there's a question over his ODI status, I don't see why. He's a good ODI batsman, with a decent SR and a very good average. T20i is another story, because he doesn't seem very interested in it, isn't very good at it, and therefore shouldn't be playing it. Take some rest.

pasag

RTDAS
If there's a question over his ODI status, I don't see why. He's a good ODI batsman, with a decent SR and a very good average. T20i is another story, because he doesn't seem very interested in it, isn't very good at it, and therefore shouldn't be playing it. Take some rest.
He's just not good enough, anyone who has watched him a decent amount in ODIs over the past few years will tell you this. For a while there he was striking at 60 or something like that regularly. He used to be a gun but has been very ordinary for a long time now. He wastes balls, doesn't rotate the strike and MOST IMPORTANTLY often kills the momentum in our innings so no matter how good a start our openers get he ruins it. Put simply, he doesn't have a second gear, and as a middle order ODI bat, you need one.

Oh and he's one of the worst T20 players in the world.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I suppose he has been poor of late, and Australia probably have a plethora of replacements. Is it possible for him to play ODIs for WI while playing Tests for Australia?

This is a joke right, Clarke has averaged over 50 with a strike rate around 70 over the last 15 odd games.

Australia are winning and Clarke is doing his job.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's a surprise - Streetwise defending an Australian.

Just a small point, but if all the side averaged 50 with a sr of 70, the team would be averaging about 210 in their 50 overs - not what I would call a winning total.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends who their bowlers are - if they had McGrath, Gillespie and Warne it might very well be.

Either way haven't really followed Australia's ODIs with enough attention-to-detail in recent months to be saying whether he should be playing them but suffice to say he should probably be the first name on the Test teamsheet apart from Brad Haddin right now. Obviously couldn't care less about Twenty20s but have gathered from what various posts have posted down the years that he's rather bad at them.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
In his last ten ODIs, he is indeed averaging 48.00. But he's hitting them at a strike-rate of 68. Regardless, it's not even really about his stats, he looks bad. The pressure he puts on the side, both with his slow scoring and running between the wickets, is inexcusable.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Clarke has been improving a bit with regards to rotation of the strike; there are definitely less dot balls between the singles than when he was at the worst of his slump.

There's a surprise - Streetwise defending an Australian.

Just a small point, but if all the side averaged 50 with a sr of 70, the team would be averaging about 210 in their 50 overs - not what I would call a winning total.
I'm not defending an Australian, There is nothing to defend here.

Clarke is a middle overs batsman and very rarely bats in the first 15 overs during the powerplays and generally gone by the time the last powerplay is taken. I dont think I have seen a much more stupider arguement on here. You only need to score more runs than the opposition to win and Australia with Clarke are pretty good at that.

On top of that the reason Pakistan just lost so comprehensively to Australia is because they didnt have a batsman that could score 50-80 runs in the middle of the innings at a strike rate of around 70-75.