• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, good point...

:ph34r:

Because Hussey has been playing geat as of late and Clarke, well don't get started on him, absolutely shocking.

True the argument may be raised that he doesn't have the greatest record batting at No. 4, but alot has been said about him batting under pressure, in this thread alone, and they have been proved wrong.

And whilst were discussing this, Hussey has a better record batting at 5 than 4. 936 @ 78.

Well, if were talking about past form, than Matthew Hayden is in the peak of his Batting Career right now, eh?
Sorry, but you don't start fiddling around with the order just because of form.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If he caught it, it was clearly catchable. If he'd not caught it, then we'd have judged whether he could or couldn't have.
Well Ntini certainly could have caught Clarke on 12 or whatever he was on. It wasn't particularly likely but he could have caught it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well Ntini certainly could have caught Clarke on 12 or whatever he was on. It wasn't particularly likely but he could have caught it.
Coulds and woulds, eh.

On a completely unrelated note, I've never seen any grey in either of Richard's avatars.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On a completely unrelated note, I've never seen any grey in either of Richard's avatars.
I think it looks quite tidy actually. Good to have a third version.

Now you, like Robbins, have a hand in the evolution of my avatars. Give yourself a hefty pat on the back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No particular reason - I'm not suggesting the swapping of Hussey and Clarke is a must or the answer to any massive problems. Merely that it would offer Hussey a little more buffer while his touch is less good, and Clarke's current good form would give him a decent chance of doing better.

There's perfectly good reason not to do it and I don't particularly expect it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - I'd just call it realistically uncatchable. It was on him almost before he could react, he was pretty much at full-stretch but still couldn't reach it.

I don't see why people want to stain both the batsman and the fielder with this "half-chance" malarkey. Brett Lee did about all that could be expected of him, and ABdeV actually played a good shot that Lee was never remotely likely to catch. To call that a half-chance, as I say, is a needless insult (not bad insult, but insult nonetheless) to both.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the thing is that a lot of people don't really say half-chance as an insult to either

Redbacks

International Captain
Given the number of tatoos he is putting all over his body, is he still fit to ever captain his country?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Of late with the tatts, the crew cut & the stubble he's either been trying to butch up his image or is getting ready to burst out of the closet.

The latter, for mine. Nicholas's homoeortic drooling has turned his head. :ph34r:

howardj

International Coach
Well, well...

I was mocked, spat at, lambasted and vilified (and that was just from Clapo) for suggesting Pup Clarke should open up for Australia in ODIs. For mine, he is a much improved player since he last did so, and I just subscribe to the theory that your very best players should be given the opportunity to bat for the vast bulk of the overs, Whatever you think of Warner and Marsh, they do not fall into this category, and should not BOTH be given the best chance (ie opening) to bat for the vast bulk of the overs.

Long live Pup at the top of the order.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well, well...

I was mocked, spat at, lambasted and vilified (and that was just from Clapo) for suggesting Pup Clarke should open up for Australia in ODIs. For mine, he is a much improved player since he last did so, and I just subscribe to the theory that your very best players should be given the opportunity to bat for the vast bulk of the overs, Whatever you think of Warner and Marsh, they do not fall into this category, and should not BOTH be given the best chance (ie opening) to bat for the vast bulk of the overs.

Long live Pup at the top of the order.
Only 13 innings out of 128, so quite a small sample size, but he's got an excellent record thus far as an opener - averages 49.72 with a strike rate of 83.89.

2 of his 3 hundreds have come when he's opened as well.