• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

susudear

Banned
Maybe

DWTA they're going to go up because he's good enough to average 50+.
He will be averaging 50 around the age of 30, when most batsmen reach their peak. His present run has to thank the direness of SA and Indian fielders.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He will be averaging 50 around the age of 30, when most batsmen reach their peak. His present run has to thank the direness of SA and Indian fielders.
English fielders are even poorer and their attack is arguably weaker. Every other nation's attack is weaker too so really Clarke should be averaging around 50 over the next few years and possibly boosting even further up at the age of 28 (usually around their peak).

susudear

Banned
English fielders are even poorer and their attack is arguably weaker. Every other nation's attack is weaker too so really Clarke should be averaging around 50 over the next few years and possibly boosting even further up at the age of 28 (usually around their peak).
I will reserve my judgement on English attacks till the Ashes.

SA, India and SL have promising bowling attacks (SL esp at home). Clarke will be tested on all those grounds.

He'd be nowhere near the average today he is had the Indian and SA fielders clung on to the dollies they got.

pup11

International Coach
I believe Clarke has done well to showcase a lot of grit and fighting spirit this season, something that he was doubted of not having by many, this season when the Aussie batting has on most occasions failed, he has been the guy who has battled hard and made runs and shown a lot of character while doing so, but still imo he has a long way to go, and his batting too has some scoop for improvement, would do well to add some wider range of shots in his arsenal.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I was just thinking earlier today how good he's been since his recall and looked up his stats, and he's averaging 60 in this period. Even more amazing is the average he has at home in this time - 75, a hefty number. However, this obviously means his overseas stats drags his average down somewhat; in this time he's averaged 39 away.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ntini takes that catch when he's on 13 and we don't have this discussion. But, that's cricket. I have been very impressed with his innings' of late, particularly his 88* in Melbourne.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His 98 against us in Brisbane was amazing. Probably the best Test knock I saw in 2008.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Given Hussey's poor form, Clarke has established himself as Australia's second best batsman IMO. Ahead of Katich too. Been very impressive all summer, and for the last couple of years. If he continues to improve and peaks in his early 30s like most batsmen he'll be close to the best in the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe now it is time for the Clarke-four-Hussey-five move that so many made the mistake of suggesting in 2007/08?

Also, funny how if Gelman had waited another game or so, he'd probably not have needed to make this thread. Clarke produced the goods the moment Gelman spotted the flaw.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Maybe now it is time for the Clarke-four-Hussey-five move that so many made the mistake of suggesting in 2007/08?

Also, funny how if Gelman had waited another game or so, he'd probably not have needed to make this thread. Clarke produced the goods the moment Gelman spotted the flaw.
This has also semi-happened with the mockery thread on Ashraful. He's made 100 and a 45 since the thread started.

Gotta say that Pasag never said that Clarke under pressure was a problem, he was just going off what I wrote from another thread.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Clarke should NEVER bat ahead of Hussey - he simply is not technically equipped to bat higher up the order

However, the guy has done very well, is showing good character and with the current weakness in world bowling attacks should score a mountain of runs in test cricket

howardj

International Coach
I think he should go back to opening in ODIs. Not only is there a vacancy there, but it might help him in the longer form, to be exposed to the moving white ball.

pup11

International Coach
I think he should go back to opening in ODIs. Not only is there a vacancy there, but it might help him in the longer form, to be exposed to the moving white ball.
No that's definitely not a good idea, Clarke is one of the best middle-order batsmen in ODI cricket, the way he plays spin, rotates the strike over and strings together substantial partnerships right through the middle overs has been such a vital factor in Australia doing well consistently in ODI cricket for the past few years, so i won't push him up the order and not only that, he has had a shocking time of it when he tried to open the innings in ODI cricket in recent times, and on top of that i don't think he really has the shots either to make the most of the power-play overs.

howardj

International Coach
No that's definitely not a good idea, Clarke is one of the best middle-order batsmen in ODI cricket, the way he plays spin, rotates the strike over and strings together substantial partnerships right through the middle overs has been such a vital factor in Australia doing well consistently in ODI cricket for the past few years, so i won't push him up the order and not only that, he has had a shocking time of it when he tried to open the innings in ODI cricket in recent times, and on top of that i don't think he really has the shots either to make the most of the power-play overs.
Stats mate?