• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well once Ponting, Kallis, Hussey etc are gone it'll be a race between him, KP and whoever. They'll also be peaking around that time as well. It may never happen but I'd be suprised if it doesn't at some stage.
Don't see it happening in a 'few' years. Kallis, Ponting, Chanderpaul, Hayden, Yousuf and Hussey could all leave within the next 4 years, but there would still be Petersen, Sangakkara and other players coming up, who are yet to be exposed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But he didn't actually get wrongly given n\o, dropped or missed stumped, did he?

If so, small slices of luck. Every innings will contain them to some degree.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't see it happening in a 'few' years. Kallis, Ponting, Chanderpaul, Hayden, Yousuf and Hussey could all leave within the next 4 years, but there would still be Petersen, Sangakkara and other players coming up, who are yet to be exposed.
Thought I heard he may have been grassed at some stage on radiosport.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Great knock from MClarke in the first innings. He's done almost enough to convince me now.

pup11

International Coach
His knock today was a pretty good one despite him not being in the best of touch, he never looked comfortable through his innings of 62, but the good thing is he hung in there made some very important runs when it really mattered, showed the kind of maturity that one expects to see from the vice-captain and one of the more experienced players of the side, so his knocks in Brisbane, Adelaide and now Perth, probably go onto show that he has matured to realise his responsibility in this side.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His knock today was a pretty good one despite him not being in the best of touch, he never looked comfortable through his innings of 62, but the good thing is he hung in there made some very important runs when it really mattered, showed the kind of maturity that one expects to see from the vice-captain and one of the more experienced players of the side, so his knocks in Brisbane, Adelaide and now Perth, probably go onto show that he has matured to realise his responsibility in this side.
Even though he 'hung in there' and made some very important runs. There were a few slashes outside off stump that weren't really needed. And, the way he got out was a disgrace. He has definitely improved in pressure situations, but is still not the finished product.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, good until his dismissal. Thought he handled a hostile spell from Morkel pretty well this morning. May not have looked "comfortable", though I'd challenge many blokes without a hook shot to look comfortable facing that stuff.

howardj

International Coach
Very good fighting performance today, if not too aesthetically pleasing.

One of his better, and I have to say rare, rear-guard efforts.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
From the Official Aus vs SA thread..
Clarke has just reached 3000 runs in Test Cricket today. I''ve just done a quick check to see where Clarke ranks as the quickest batsman to 3000 runs in innings played.

This is his 69th innings, the same number it took his hero Michael Slater, he's tied in 38th spot all time, a very good effort IMO.

Recent players and the number of innings they took.
V Sehwag (India) 55
ML Hayden (Aus) 61
AC Gilchrist (Aus) 63
GC Smith (SA) 63
KP Pietersen (Eng) 63
DPMD Jayawardene (SL) 65
SR Tendulkar (India) 67
R Dravid (India) 67
Yousuf Youhana (Pak) 67
KC Sangakkara (SL) 68
MJ Clarke (Aus) 69
MP Vaughan (Eng) 69
Younis Khan (Pak) 70
ME Trescothick (Eng) 74
JL Langer (Aus) 75
DR Martyn (Aus) 75
AJ Strauss (Eng) 75
RT Ponting (Aus) 77
VVS Laxman (India) 77
Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pak) 78
SC Ganguly (India) 80
AB de Villiers (SA) 80

Does everyone feel that Clarke deserves his place in elite company? IMO yes, he does.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really surprised his average has topped 50. I'm not one to ascribe long term success to luck, but he does seem to have been rather spawny when I've seen him of late. Been put down a couple of times in his current knock and often seems to edge to where slip fielders aren't.

Has capitalised on whatever good fortune he has had tho.