• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just a thought - Handicap System in Cricket

Sehwag309

Banned
I was just wondering if there should be handicap system in cricket

I mean, they are including countries like USA, Holland..let the game be realistic and give them some handicap runs to start with or wickets perhaps

Seriously, why would someone goto watch a cricket match (Eg., USA/AUS), when u know the result before hand

Ponting chose to field 1st, which basically eliminated all possibilty of Aus batting fireworks

You couldn't even finsh the beer quota and the game was over

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
A few years ago, there were all sorts of shenannigans regarding 'doctored' pitches. One of the things considered at the time was to do away with the 'toss' and allow the visiting captain the choice of whether to bat or field.

That could be a way of closing the gap somewhat when a big boy plays a minnow - but I wouldn't like to see it myself..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its a sad example of the ICC trying to get too many teams into the international party at once, and before they are ready..

No disrespect to any of the minnows, Im sure they all put 110% into their cricket, as well as usually playing the game in an exemplary spirit.. But the ICC isnt helping their cause at the moment.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
But why not?
Could you see anyone offering Team USA a 3 or 5 game series without some serious incentives?

Something really has to be done - and that something has to be done soon. The next World Cup is only just around the corner (time travels quicker for us oldies).

If the ICC are serious about developing the 'minnow' nations up to full ODI status and ultimately to test status, these guys need to play more cricket - county-level stuff for a start.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Isn't the purpose of the CT to raise money for development?

I agree with getting them into FC comps, or at least tours where they 'only' play FC teams. They should also have 1 or 2 annual comps for the 'next 8' to give them plenty of chances to play....having them regularly would also mean they can all have a chance to both host and develop some depth.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
telsor said:
Isn't the purpose of the CT to raise money for development?

I agree with getting them into FC comps, or at least tours where they 'only' play FC teams. They should also have 1 or 2 annual comps for the 'next 8' to give them plenty of chances to play....having them regularly would also mean they can all have a chance to both host and develop some depth.
But there are.

I name:

European Championships - every second year
ICC Trophy - every fourth year
African Championships - every second year (I think)
ICC Challenge - qualifying for Champions' Trophy
Intercontinental Cup - every year (planned to be), first-class cricket, three 3-day zonal matches, then finals (four teams, i.e. two matches) in Sharjah some time in October, November.
Americas Championship - every second year
Asian CC Trophy - every second year.

The problem isn't lack of tournaments. It's, as usual, lack of money - cricketers who have to take leave from work to go to Scotland, Namibia, or wherever, is going to have a problem. Most cricket players in Norway are taxi drivers, for instance...

Rich2001

International Captain
Isn't the ICC currently taking about giving a handicap to Bangladesh?

I heard they are trying to get them far more competive matches during non Test/ODI matches ie against teams like Kenya etc and only giving them home series vs the big nations.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rich2001 said:
Isn't the ICC currently taking about giving a handicap to Bangladesh?

I heard they are trying to get them far more competive matches during non Test/ODI matches ie against teams like Kenya etc and only giving them home series vs the big nations.
And why is that fair to everyone else?

Rich2001

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
The problem isn't lack of tournaments. It's, as usual, lack of money - cricketers who have to take leave from work to go to Scotland, Namibia, or wherever, is going to have a problem. Most cricket players in Norway are taxi drivers, for instance...
I personally think it is the lack of tournaments as well though, I mean other than those games when else do the players play?

Non of those countries have a solid Domestic season in place to help bring the players through, a prime instant was Bangladesh who had almost no domestic season when they won a spot on the ICC list, the only games they were playing were in major comps when teams like Australia were destorying them then they wouldn't play another game until the next major tournaments.

Money like you say is a major factor as without money you can't set up a solid system and without a successful team you wont be getting the money in to fund the team, one big repeating circle.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rich2001 said:
I didn't say it was fair... I was mearly pointing out something I heard, it might not even happen
Sorry Rich, wasnt aimed at you at all, just rubbishing what is the most ludicrous thing I have heard from the International ****up Council (And that is saying a lot)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Rich2001 said:
I personally think it is the lack of tournaments as well though, I mean other than those games when else do the players play?

Non of those countries have a solid Domestic season in place to help bring the players through, a prime instant was Bangladesh who had almost no domestic season when they won a spot on the ICC list, the only games they were playing were in major comps when teams like Australia were destorying them then they wouldn't play another game until the next major tournaments.

Money like you say is a major factor as without money you can't set up a solid system and without a successful team you wont be getting the money in to fund the team, one big repeating circle.
There is, actually, one-day cricket domestic leagues in most countries. Denmark has a pretty big league I believe, as do the Netherlands. The problem is, there is no first-class domestic league in place...which is where you start to build the skills required in international cricket. And it won't happen, either - due to the problems described above.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Aren't Bangladesh actually getting better though?

Certainly since Dav signed up they've improved.

Maybe that should limit the ICC's introduction of new nations as to when Dav Whatmore's ready to coach a new side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So that's why they're still losing ODIs by massive margins every time they play.
Bangladesh are not getting any significantly better, they're just having the odd breakout (eg the "catch-shelling" match, their maiden draw against a long-time playing side). Even in Tests, they're mainly being thrashed all the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
A few years ago, there were all sorts of shenannigans regarding 'doctored' pitches. One of the things considered at the time was to do away with the 'toss' and allow the visiting captain the choice of whether to bat or field.
And all of that was due to the ludicrous misunderstanding that "home advantage" is actually called "doctored pitch".
The reason all cricket matches are not played at neutral venues is because the very ethos of cricket is going to different places and experiencing different pitch conditions. Home pitches are supposed to suit the home side - there's nothing illicit about it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
The problem isn't lack of tournaments. It's, as usual, lack of money - cricketers who have to take leave from work to go to Scotland, Namibia, or wherever, is going to have a problem.
Never a truer word spoken.
Until there is a properly funded competition set-up, you can have as many bit-part tournos as you want, it won't help anyone.
As for this handicap idea, there's no provision in the Laws for it, anyone who actually wanted to implement it in a proper game is insane.
There's no harm in minnow sides playing in World Cups or Champions\Knockout Trophies - what we need is a format like this current CT and, hopefully, the next World Cup - designed to let the weak make a quick exit and have their indignities covered-up once the real stuff gets underway.
The World Cup and Champions Trophy aren't designed to try to help the Associate Nations improve their cricket, they're designed to give them something to aspire to and give some journeymen a chance to get themselves on the big stage for a few days.
The only way any Associate Nations will improve their cricket is to play in Full Member domestic competitions - firstly one-day, then ideally First-Class.
Until someone begins to dominate a domestic competition, they shouldn't be even remotely considered for Test-status. Or ODI, for that matter.