• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"The Times" England versus Rest of World teams

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Maybe you all have seen this, but I thought we could talk about it here....

I was reading the Times recently and Christopher Martin Jenkins is involved there in a very interesting job as a selector.... he is choosing two teams.One is the greatest post war England team which will play five simulated test matches against an all star cast in the greatest post war Rest of the world team.The tests will be played at Lords,Barbados, Cape Town,Eden Gardens and Sydney, all simulated ofcourse.

He has the following till now with players listed in the respective batting order:

England
=======
Len Hutton
Graham Gooch
Ted Dexter
Peter May
Colin Cowdrey
Ian Botham
Alan Knott
Jim Laker
Derek Underwood
(two more places to be filled)

Rest of World
=============
Sunil Gavaskar
Barry Richards
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
(Four more slots to be filed in)

The question is who should fill up those positions ?

[Edited on 7/22/02 by aussie_beater]

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England

Bedser
Barnes

Rest of the World

Warnie
Marshall
Lillee
Waqar

[Edited on 7/22/02 by Top_Cat]

Kimbo

International Debutant
wheres the token kiwi!
j.r reid, or hadlee...
or people that were more talented than them from other countries... whatever. but if gilly makes it then hadlee should.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see how Gilly making it should effect hadlee???

If Gilly is the best keeper in the post war era then he should be selected and Hadlee should not be selected just because gillys there....

Kimbo

International Debutant
i know... damn its just not fair... :cry:
there must be at least one kiwi good enough!

ah, probably not

Kimbo

International Debutant
well, how about hadlee plays for england. i mean, nz is a colony! close enough.

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rest of World
Wasim Akram
Michael Holding
Murali
Dennis Lillee

What do you think of this formidable line up??? 8D

[Edited on 7/23/02 by LankanPrince]

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
My choice would be -
England:
========
Alec Bedser
Sid Barnes

Rest of world:
==============
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lilee
Waqar Younis (unlike TC who replaced Waqar with Hadlee:D

[Edited on 7/23/02 by aussie_beater]

Top_Cat

Waqar Younis (unlike TC who replaced Waqar with Hadlee
Hey, that was NOT a decision taken lightly!! It's awfully hard to defer to a kiwi as an Aussie but credit where credit is due..........:D

Seriously, now I'm having second thoughts. They're probably on par.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Well I changed my mind about the England team's quicks...Sid Barnes does not qualify as a post war cricketer and so I would choose Fred Trueman.So, its Bedser and the Typhoon for me.

Top_Cat

Well I changed my mind about the England team's quicks...Sid Barnes does not qualify as a post war cricketer and so I would choose Fred Trueman.So, its Bedser and the Typhoon for me.
Fair enough. Ya gotta wonder if the Typhoon was as quick as everyone said he was. I mean, if he was really THAT quick, that's scary.

Anyone see him bowl?

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
For England I'd have Bedser and Bob Willis.

The Rest of the World should have Warne, Marshall, Wasim Akram and Lillee.

It's very hard because Waqar, Hadlee, Holding, Ambrose, Murali, Mc Grath, Donald, Walsh, Imran Khan, Thomson would all be good selections.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Anyone see him bowl?
I saw some of his video tapes from the early sixties....and he looks to be tearingly fast with quite a lot of movement off the air and overly aggressive in the field like he would have preferred to physically knock out a batsman but given the circumstances he has grudgingly settled for the stumps instead :D And I think he had pretty good credentials being the first bowler to claim 300 wickets and all that.

[Edited on 7/23/02 by aussie_beater]

Top_Cat

I saw some of his video tapes from the early sixties....and he looks to be tearingly fast with quite a lot of movement off the air and overly aggressive in the field like he would have preferred to physically knock out a batsman but given the circumstances he has grudgingly settled for the stumps instead And I think he had pretty good credentials being the first bowler to claim 300 wickets and all that.
?????????

Are you referring to Fred Truman? Frank Tyson only played 17 Tests. Truman took 307 wickets and he was a very aggressive bowler too.