• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"The Times" England versus Rest of World teams

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I actually saw somewhere that Trueman was also called Typhoon when he came into cricket initially....

Anyway, I won't rate Frank Tyson in the same league as Trueman and so he doesn't really make the cut.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually saw somewhere that Trueman was also called Typhoon when he came into cricket initially....

Anyway, I won't rate Frank Tyson in the same league as Trueman and so he doesn't really make the cut.
Strange. I've ALWAYS heard of ONLY Tyson referred to as the Typhoon. Fred Trueman was 'Firey Fred' as far as I knew.

Anyway, there's no doubting that Fred was a superb classical bowler with a beautiful outswinger to match a lovely action. Then there was his rather unstable temperament...........:D

Frank Tyson had an action which placed a horrendous strain on his back, primarily brought the ball back into the batsman and bowled like the wind. He was far quicker than Trueman and took many wickets in his 17 Tests and ended with an average of something around 18 per wicket. An explosive bowler and was quite accurate by all accounts.

I do remember seeing some footage a while back and his action was pretty awful in terms of strain but geez, he was QUICK. SHOAIB quick. possible quicker if you're to believe the guys of the time.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I do remember seeing some footage a while back and his action was pretty awful in terms of strain but geez, he was QUICK. SHOAIB quick. possible quicker if you're to believe the guys of the time.
Yes, he was supposed to be the quickest ever atleast according to the Poms :D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, he was supposed to be the quickest ever atleast according to the Poms
Not to mention the Aussies like Benaud who faced him. They still reckon he was the quickest ever.

I'll let you in on a little secret; I know someone who DID face him on his first Aussie tour. A friend of my Papa's. He faced him in a local tour game and said that his first ball of the innings was so fast and swung so much, it flew at the 2nd slip fielder, bounced and smacked him in the shoulder, dislocating it and shattering his collarbone.

Now THAT'S quick.