• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does this sort of thing happen

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
this really sucks for mine

Brad Haddin, the wicketkeeper-batsman, has been appointed as the New South Wales captain and will stand in for Simon Katich, when he is on international duty. Katich's selection in the Australian squad for the Indian tour in October meant that Haddin got his chance.

While terming it as a "great honour", Haddin said that this was an exciting time to be made captain. "My role is to see that the guys keep improving. "I want to continue the good work that Simon and Steve Waugh have put into this team over the years."

Haddin recently played in the Videocon Cup in Holland and has been part of the NSW side since 1999. In 48 first-class matches, he averages 32.46, with two hundreds and 16 half-centuries.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would've thought that being the 2nd best side in the world and able to beat most international teams, then it doesn't matter who captains them.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
I would've thought that being the 2nd best side in the world and able to beat most international teams, then it doesn't matter who captains them.
First of all, that is a view held by some very narrow-minded New South Welshman. Secondly, Haddin should be struggling to get in the side, not made captain. I'd have Jaques as captain before Haddin.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
How about Stuie MacGill? Doesnt look like he'll have any international duty problems this summer... (gee, what a shame)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

that was at full strength and included alot of internationals and players that are retired and 1 has even left for tassie.

as for my choice.... probably Jaques, maybe nicholson

for the home tests Clarke will be around i imagine

Andre

International Regular
Clarke won't hack it as captain yet.

Nicholson seems the best candidate, and up until yesterday was the favorite for the job from what I've heard.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i think jacques... new south wales seem to have a lot of problems at the mo.

Waughney

International Debutant
Jaques only just broke into the side last season and so wouldn't know his team/players/club well enough. Haddin may not be the best selection, but he's a better option than Jaques. He has good experience, knows his team and must have some sort of cricketing brain if the selectors are willing to put so much faith in him.
I thought Nicholson was in with a great chance, but it seems as though the selectors have gone with the old "bowlers can't captain" theory.

Son Of Coco

marc71178 said:
haha, we're not even the second best side in the country. A while back though if we could have had Slater, Taylor, M.Waugh, S.Waugh, McGrath etc playing in the same team we would have be quite good - not second best in the world, but quite good.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
First of all, that is a view held by some very narrow-minded New South Welshman. Secondly, Haddin should be struggling to get in the side, not made captain. I'd have Jaques as captain before Haddin.
haha, ahhhhhhhh, queenslander....

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
then who was the best side???
since australia would have lost the best it have to NSW :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Linda said:
How about Stuie MacGill? Doesnt look like he'll have any international duty problems this summer... (gee, what a shame)
Nope..

Unfortunatly "Macgilla" suffers from having an opinion and a personality..

telsor

U19 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
Nope..

Unfortunatly "Macgilla" suffers from having an opinion and a personality..

I gather one of his problems is more cultural...he has some culture :)

You're more likely to find Mr MacGill at a wine and cheese night than out at the pub sinking a few beers...needless to say, he doesn't 'connect' with most of his teammates on a personal/social level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
it seems as though the selectors have gone with the old "bowlers can't captain" theory.
Which has been demonstrated many times to be a very wise theory indeed, given that bowling is quite enough to be thinking about when you're out in the field, let alone worrying about bowling and field changes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
To be fair, they weren't half bad: Taylor, Slater, Bevan, M. Waugh, S. Waugh, McGrath, MacGill, Katich, Nicholson, Clark, Jaques, Haddin, B. Lee, S. Lee, Bracken...
Some names to grace the side over the last 6 years!