• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lancashire: What Have You done

Swervy

International Captain
Oh lanky Lanky Lanky........for crying out loud.

In the season i was convinced that lancashire would take County Cricket by storm, they are now in the position of Gloucestershire needing only one more bomus point and lancs go down.

What has happened.?

I know Law was out for a bit and wasnt in the amazing form he was last year, We have missed Freddie ...Hooper didnt play as well..but still..to be relegated....one bright spot..Gary Keedy, yet again he plays well for us...shame he is a Yorkshire man

A sad time for the Red rose!!!!

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
It is indeed

For a long time, the bowlers were either all injured, or all away with england(natwest series-saj, jimmy and freddy[eh, I'm on first name terms!])
The batsmen who had brilliant summers last year(Loye, Hooper, Law, Chilton) just didn't fire as regularly
After Sutcliffes century in the pre season match against Yorkshire, he disappeared.
We'll be back on top next season, though

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
Oh lanky Lanky Lanky........for crying out loud.

In the season i was convinced that lancashire would take County Cricket by storm, they are now in the position of Gloucestershire needing only one more bomus point and lancs go down.

What has happened.?

I know Law was out for a bit and wasnt in the amazing form he was last year, We have missed Freddie ...Hooper didnt play as well..but still..to be relegated....one bright spot..Gary Keedy, yet again he plays well for us...shame he is a Yorkshire man

Lancashire are surely too good to go down? Obviously not. Some reasons....

Hooper had a poor season - past it?

Chapple past his best.

Martin hardly played.

You have had only two reliable batsmen - Law and Loye.

Mahmood was all hype and no substance.

Anderson only played a handful of games.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Lancashire are surely too good to go down? Obviously not. Some reasons....

Hooper had a poor season - past it?

Chapple past his best.

Martin hardly played.

You have had only two reliable batsmen - Law and Loye.

Mahmood was all hype and no substance.

Anderson only played a handful of games.
i still say man for man, Lancashire are the most talented sqaud in the country..but it just didnt click this year.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
On that of all days, I shall dance a jig.

Corky, for all his 'character', left my county for the Black Pudding munchers because he thought he was bigger than Derbyshire (probably right). And now he looks as though he'll be playing against us again. Har, hardy har.

Oh, and Brad Cheaty-Hodge has been sacked by Leicestershire. They offered him a new 2 year contract, he wanted more dosh, they said 'forget it'. Har hardy har II.

Couldn't happen to two nicer blokes.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As far as I worked out, Lancashire are down already.

Gloucester declared at 311-8 (bonus points: 3-2), extending their lead to 18 points. Points available - 5 batting plus 12 win.

They're down.

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:

Gloucester declared at 311-8 (bonus points: 3-2), extending their lead to 18 points. Points available - 5 batting plus 12 win.

They're down.
oh well..no point delaying the inevitable

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Corky to walk out on Lancashire in 5....4....3....
well he can bloody well wait until this game is over before he races of to Warwickshire or wherever

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:

They're down.
14 points for a win now Neil :)

(22 available nowadays)

Anywhere weren't they meant to be docked points if they did a dodgy declaration, which it undoubtly is as Adshead was 50 odd not out and 311 is not a big score. The fact that they declared as soon as the 8th wicket went down shows that they did it purely to stop Lancs getting the third bowling point and that is against the spirit of the game

The ECB had warned them that any declarations made with a view to deliberately depriving Lancashire of bonus points would be penalised,

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
in 5....4....3....
The return of the second-most-celebrated luckyeddie cliche! :thumbup:
(Well, the first time I've seen it for, well, 7 months or so)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some reasons why Lancs were over-expected this season:
People looked at the squad and saw a massive number of names:
Flintoff was never going to play much.
Anderson was never going to play that much.
Sutcliffe is overrated.
People thought Mahmood was rather better in the First-Class game than he has turned-out to be.
Meanwhile:
Corkie didn't bowl as well as we all know he can. ER and SR too high.
Martin hardly played.
Chapple, who started really well (he didn't take that many wickets, but his ER was about 2.4-an-over at one point) fell away so badly that his ER at present is over 3.
Chilton was a bit disappointing, could have done better.
Hooper was very disappointing, with ball to an extent as well as with bat in the second half of the season.
The weather, as almost always, played it's part.
A shame to see them go down, though. :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
superkingdave said:
14 points for a win now Neil :)

(22 available nowadays)

Anywhere weren't they meant to be docked points if they did a dodgy declaration, which it undoubtly is as Adshead was 50 odd not out and 311 is not a big score. The fact that they declared as soon as the 8th wicket went down shows that they did it purely to stop Lancs getting the third bowling point and that is against the spirit of the game
That would explain my confusion. Oops.

Anyhow, that's definitely a dodgy declaration.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which we have seen before and will see again.
Rules are there to be exploited and we can't expect them not to be.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Which we have seen before and will see again.
Rules are there to be exploited and we can't expect them not to be.
Except this was added to the laws this year.

42 Extraordinary Declarations An Extraordinary Declaration for the purposes of this rule is a declaration aimed primarily at denying the bowling side the opportunity to acquire further bonus points in that innings, but without enhancing the batting side's prospects of winning or saving the match. Such a declaration may, depending on the particular circumstances, be deemed as bringing the game into disrepute, penalties for which may include the deduction of points from the offending team. A captain who is contemplating an Extraordinary Declaration may, if he wishes, first approach the Officiating Umpires, providing due notice of his intention, in order to request an indicative ruling as to whether or not such an Extraordinary Declaration is likely to be deemed as bringing the game into disrepute. The Officiating Umpires may then request advice from the ECB Cricket Department who will (in liaison with the Discipline Standing Committee and time permitting) provide an indicative ruling to the captain.
It will b interesting to see if Taylor consulted

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is England-only, right? (Given that it refers to The ECB)
Interesting. Don't know whether I like it or not.
And bearing in mind what I've heard of Taylor's incompetance as a captain, I'd guess not.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well they did consult the umpire

Such offences can be punishable by the deduction of points but former Yorkshire and England batsman Sharpe was happy with the declaration. Sharpe was contacted by Gloucestershire before the decision was made and said: “I thought they got to a stage where Gloucestershire were well within their rights to declare.”
he would do, he's a yorkie