• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lancashire: What Have You done

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Never knew that.
Always thought he was a Derby lad through-and-through.
If not, I presume he was just one of these Robin Smith-Allan Lamb type people.
Certainly I never doubted his giving his all for England when he played, just like Hick and all those other South Africans who played with such distinction for England.
To which hopefully Kevin Pietersen's name will shortly be added.
Certainly he's not a convenience-passport-holder like Carter, Breese, Crook, Crook et al., could name probably 50 others, no point wasting my time.
None of which detracts from my own hero-worship of the guy either - he was a wonderful trier with at times SW-H type pace. In common with <muffled mumble> he also seemed too 'nice' to be a fast bowler - until 'Fight fire with fire' and 'You guys is History' anyway.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Same thing, except the other way around, just like the Notts-Essex match last year in which Graham Napier's performance was being debated... :p
Easily done. All teams in question are poor, and hence easily confused.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, because county cricket is so poor, all the teams concerned are poor. :whistling :ranting:
Grrrr......

Swervy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Sorry, but over 16 games, it can't just all be "not clicking"
well something obviously wasnt right...I think there are all sorts of reasons why Lancs havent done so well...the teams batting was either in general not in form this year..or last year, they were all in form for pretty much all of the season...and that year they flattered to deceive

Also, the lack of finishing off power of the bowling was at best frustrating ,example being the game vs Warwickshire where we had them in big trouble and then Bell and Brown put on a huge lower order partnership to put Lancs out of the game..so annoying (all credit to Warks of course).

Weather has also be a problem for Lancashire over the last 3 years,but thats cricket

All in all,a damned disapointing season for a club that really should be doing better

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair, Brown has got nigh on 1000 runs this season, so although he bats 7 or 8, he's far from a bunny, and is one of the main reasons we've done so well this year.

Swervy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
To be fair, Brown has got nigh on 1000 runs this season, so although he bats 7 or 8, he's far from a bunny, and is one of the main reasons we've done so well this year.
absolutely....but one would hope that if you have a team 90-4 or whatever it was, you would want to be getting them out for 200,and therefore giving yourself a chance to win the game...

It is this type of thing that has happened quite alot in the last 2 seasons which is so annoying.

Without a doubt, we deserve to go down, so whatever the situation with the declaration today, it makes no difference to me...over a whole season you tend to get what you deserve

steds

Hall of Fame Member
On the bright side, Chris Schofield's first class batting average this season is 46.5(then he gets injured. That's the way to help the cause, Schoey!!)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Not to mention the 1000 he scored last season...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
On the bright side, Chris Schofield's first class batting average this season is 46.5(then he gets injured. That's the way to help the cause, Schoey!!)
Never know, he might make some improvements to his bowling now he's nailed himself a place in the side.
That's my hope, anyway.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Never know, he might make some improvements to his bowling now he's nailed himself a place in the side.
That's my hope, anyway.
I'd love to see him do so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
absolutely....but one would hope that if you have a team 90-4 or whatever it was, you would want to be getting them out for 200,and therefore giving yourself a chance to win the game...

A bit like Australia (and NZ), we don't stop at number 6 or 7. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
steds said:
The only way he'd help his cause is by taking wickets.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
superkingdave said:
14 points for a win now Neil :)

(22 available nowadays)

Anywhere weren't they meant to be docked points if they did a dodgy declaration, which it undoubtly is as Adshead was 50 odd not out and 311 is not a big score. The fact that they declared as soon as the 8th wicket went down shows that they did it purely to stop Lancs getting the third bowling point and that is against the spirit of the game
ECB said only if they declared stupidly....like with just 2 down or so...Worcs did the same thing and declared 8 down and nothing was done.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you're talking about the match last season (v Northants), that was before the rule was brought in - indeed, it was brought in as a result of that match.