• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lancashire: What Have You done

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Speaking of Keedy whenever i look at county cricket he seems to have taken a shedload of wickets and bowled extremely well and this is over the last 2 or 3 seasons. And there was a time when Ahsley Giles was useless how come they never considered Keedy as a replacement?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because Keedy's exactly the same, he'll pose a threat when the wicket's turning sufficiently and be totally anodyne when it's not.
IMO he's not as good as Giles, though.
And he certainly hasn't bowled well for most of this season, he's just somehow managed this 7-90 today, and has generally got much better figures in August than previously; he went into August averaging 37 or something.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Dar said:
Speaking of Keedy whenever i look at county cricket he seems to have taken a shedload of wickets and bowled extremely well and this is over the last 2 or 3 seasons. And there was a time when Ahsley Giles was useless how come they never considered Keedy as a replacement?
He cant bat

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very difficult to decide - after all, a declaration gave the opposition a tricky, er, 1 over to face before stumps.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
Yeah its from the CC Rules, they added it beacuse of a match last year (Worcs - Northants?)
Definately involved Northants - might have been Worcs, can't remember, haven't read the Wisden of it for a couple of months...
Either way, that didn't matter that much, it didn't deny anyone promotion of anthing, just meant that each Northants player got about £20 less prize-money than the other side's players.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Definately involved Northants - might have been Worcs, can't remember, haven't read the Wisden of it for a couple of months...
Either way, that didn't matter that much, it didn't deny anyone promotion of anthing, just meant that each Northants player got about £20 less prize-money than the other side's players.
Dev's pension.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Very difficult to decide - after all, a declaration gave the opposition a tricky, er, 1 over to face before stumps.
But it also denied them a chance to take a potentially crucial 3rd bowling bonus-point.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Its the fact that they declared on the fall of the 8th wicket that makes it clear cut for me.

With Adshead still there, they cant say it was because there was no batting left. When was the last time someone declared at around 300 in the first innings with no time lost to rain?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Dev's pension.
Which he more than earned for being just about the first player\very-very-very-very-very-very-very-recently-ex-player to speak-out against the constant signing of EU\British-passsport players.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
It meant that Worcestershire couldn't catch Northamptonshire for the second division title. Both sides made <200 in the first innings, and Northants declared on 8 down to prevent Worcestershire getting the extra point that brought them within 12. In the end, Worcester won the game but Northants won the title by 0.75 points, I think.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Which he more than earned for being just about the first player\very-very-very-very-very-very-very-recently-ex-player to speak-out against the constant signing of EU\British-passsport players.
Really?

How on earth does he live with himself then, being a passport-holder of convenience, having been born in Kingston, Jamaica?

(and for the record, I LOVE big Dev)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
It meant that Worcestershire couldn't catch Northamptonshire for the second division title. Both sides made <200 in the first innings, and Northants declared on 8 down to prevent Worcestershire getting the extra point that brought them within 12. In the end, Worcester won the game but Northants won the title by 0.75 points, I think.
Oh...
I could have sworn Kepler Wessels complained about The Spirit Of Cricket being lost after that game.
Yes, just checked, Northants won by 92 runs:
Northants 196ao, Worcs 172\8dec.
Bit of déja-vous, here: remember the Essex-Notts match last time... mind, I let you off that time. "It was late" after all... :p :p :p

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Oh...
I could have sworn Kepler Wessels complained about The Spirit Of Cricket being lost after that game.
Yes, just checked, Northants won by 92 runs:
Northants 196ao, Worcs 172\8dec.
Northants, Worcester, same thing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
i still say man for man, Lancashire are the most talented sqaud in the country..but it just didnt click this year.
Sorry, but over 16 games, it can't just all be "not clicking"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair to Gloucestershire, they now need 6 wickets in 130 overs - can anyone see them not getting them?!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Really?

How on earth does he live with himself then, being a passport-holder of convenience, having been born in Kingston, Jamaica?

(and for the record, I LOVE big Dev)
Never knew that.
Always thought he was a Derby lad through-and-through.
If not, I presume he was just one of these Robin Smith-Allan Lamb type people.
Certainly I never doubted his giving his all for England when he played, just like Hick and all those other South Africans who played with such distinction for England.
To which hopefully Kevin Pietersen's name will shortly be added.
Certainly he's not a convenience-passport-holder like Carter, Breese, Crook, Crook et al., could name probably 50 others, no point wasting my time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Northants, Worcester, same thing.
Same thing, except the other way around, just like the Notts-Essex match last year in which Graham Napier's performance was being debated... :p