• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Genuine legends who still play...

a massive zebra

International Captain
Scallywag said:
But the facts are
Murali has been called for chucking and Tendulkar is a convicted ball tamperer as is Dravid.
By the same token, Warne is a convicted drug cheat and match fixer, while also being well known for womanising.

No one is completely clean although of those four, Dravid must surely be the most honest, sincere and honorable.

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mister Wright said:
I believe Shane Warne was a drug cheat, but if you are going to put Tendulkar & Dravid on your list and then accuse someone of something, make sure they are squeaky clean before you do so.

Warne.....Yes

Dravid.....YEs

Tendulkar...NO

Both Warne and Dravid were caught for their offences, both claims that they were innocent but there is considerable evidence available that suggest otherwise.

As far as Sachin is concerned, the match refree himself admitted after the incident that Sachin never tampered the ball.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
I think Warnie's mum's chemist's best customer is a legend already
The mother of one of my friends owns the pharmacy the Warne's go to (in Brighton I think it is). Apparently until recently, Mr. Warne didn't know what a prescription was.

Back on topic though, the only current players who could acheive 'legend' status are Tendulkar, Lara, Warne and Murali. I can't see anyone else approaching their status...

Scallywag

Banned
a massive zebra said:
By the same token, Warne is a convicted drug cheat and match fixer, while also being well known for womanising.

No one is completely clean although of those four, Dravid must surely be the most honest, sincere and honorable.
Warne has never been convicted of match fixing.

womanising whats so bad about that, do you prefer something else.

Dravid is simply a cheat like the rest.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Scallywag said:

womanising whats so bad about that, do you prefer something else.

Dravid is simply a cheat like the rest.
one was banned from any form of cricket for a year, the other had his match fees (or is that only 50%) fined. i really dont understand why its so hard for people to see your point of view 8-)

Scallywag said:

Yeah he wasn't really convicted in MF and was fortunate BUT he did take drugs that are absolutely forbidden and for that he was thrown out of cricket for a year.
If that's not cheating then what is it?

Scallywag

Banned
sheerindianspeed said:
Yeah he wasn't really convicted in MF and was fortunate BUT he did take drugs that are absolutely forbidden and for that he was thrown out of cricket for a year.
If that's not cheating then what is it?
Nobody denies that Warne cheated and took diuretics.

Nobody denies that Tendulkar and Dravid cheated and tampered with the ball.

Nobody denies Murali cheated and threw the ball when bowling.

They are all cheats.

Scallywag said:
Nobody denies that Warne cheated and took diuretics.

Nobody denies that Tendulkar and Dravid cheated and tampered with the ball.

Nobody denies Murali cheated and threw the ball when bowling.

They are all cheats.

Except that in Tendulkar's case , the man who accused Tendulkar of wrong doing himself acknowledge that Tendulkar didn't actually tampered the ball.

As far as Murali is concerned, how can he possibly cheat since the cricket parent body ICC consider his action totally legal?

Deja moo

International Captain
Tendulkar
Lara
Warne
Murali
McGrath
Dravid ( if he continues in the same vein.....)
Ponting ( ditto )
Cairns (?)

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Deja moo said:
Tendulkar
Lara
Warne
Murali
McGrath
Dravid ( if he continues in the same vein.....)
Ponting ( ditto )
Cairns (?)
Cairns?? then can i nominate kumble (anyone??)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:

But he squashed a fly last week, so must be removed from the list as well! :D

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
But he squashed a fly last week, so must be removed from the list as well! :D
You know very well that it was one of those mechanical robots sent by Inzy to spy on the Indians . :@

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
We shouldn't be arguing over whether these players are 'cheats' or not. Thats not the topic. The following players IMO will (realistically) be considered legends after they retire...

SRT - Obvious
Lara - Obvious
Warne - Obvious, greatest spinner there has been which is arguable I guess but meh...
Ponting - Im not being bias on this one. He is not only a superb batsman, but he is captain. Hayden would be with him but unfortunately Hayden won't be around for TOO much longer and will retire will semi-legend status.
McGrath - Obvious
Murali - IMO this bloke will be remembered FAR more for his wrong action then his brilliant record. Warne will go down as a great spinner, and that is all. Why? Well to be honest, because a) hes Australian and b) because he is rated so highly by opponents. Muralis opposition doesn't talk as much about him and if they do, it is usually negative.

telsor

U19 12th Man
sheerindianspeed said:
Except that in Tendulkar's case , the man who accused Tendulkar of wrong doing himself acknowledge that Tendulkar didn't actually tampered the ball.
Wasn't he involved in that match in SA that was cancelled because the Indian team wouldn't accept the referees decision?

As far as Murali is concerned, how can he possibly cheat since the cricket parent body ICC consider his action totally legal?
Wasn't the Doosra tested and found to be illegal?

As for Warnes drug conviction...remember, that in most countries he wouldn't have been tested, let alone convicted...there were no ICC rules at the time regarding drugs. He broke an ACB rule, which only existed because the cricket academy gets some governemnt funding, so the whole sport gets treated on the same level as an olympic sport in Aus as far as drugs testing/rules are concerned

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Here we go again - Aussie-subcontinental "cheat" debates.
I predict this one won't last too long, before it starts going round in circles again.
Why can't some people seem to understand that Tendulkar has never been convicted of ball-tampering. The only reason anyone might think so is because of over-exaggerative media.
I do think that Murali will be remembered by some who cannot accept facts as a cheat. But whether anyone likes it or not, the delivery which he has bowled for almost his entire career has been cleared by scientists who know far more than any of you - or even expert analysts who have limited equipment.
Soon, I hope, his wrong-'un will be declared legal too and his detractors will be reduced to straw-clutchers again.
Whatever anyone's vices, they'll always be remembered as on-field legends, and very few people have the idiocy to continuously criticise Murali for a supposed illegal action (a la Bedi). Most people simply acknowledge his brilliance when actually confronted with it.
Some of my examples:
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Ponting
Warne
Muralitharan
Pollock
Many others