• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Out or Not Out - Be the Umpire

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
definitely not out.

I've seen it discussed before (about 40 years ago) - then it was supposed to have been something to do with the varnish (Shellac) used on the bails which melted when the sun was out, then re-set

FRAZ

International Captain
I've heard that a long time ago a bowler bowled ,the bails flew and then came back and readjusted on the stumps . The batsman was walking but the Umpire called him back cuz he was not out and the bails should fall on the ground .
One incident that I remember is during a test match between SA and Pak , Mushtaq Ahmed bowled to Pat sympcox and the ball went all the way through the stumps without touching the stumps . I think Umppire did'nt see the adjustment of the stumps and those were a little wider than normal and made room for the ball .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
I think Umppire did'nt see the adjustment of the stumps and those were a little wider than normal and made room for the ball .
There's always room for the ball to pass through without hitting the stumps - it's just so tight it almost never happens.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I know in a womens one day international someone hit the stumps direct, the bails flew up and landed back in their groove, not out.. lol..

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I know in a womens one day international someone hit the stumps direct, the bails flew up and landed back in their groove, not out.. lol..
landed in whose groove???? :D

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
they probably fell off right after the picture was taken

it might have been a low flying bird with glue on its tail

Last edited: