• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Out or Not Out - Be the Umpire

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prince EWS said:
To tell youy the truth, if I was ever umpiring, and that happened, Ide give it out anyway.

Which is probably why you would be sacked as soon as the game is over.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Which is probably why you would be sacked as soon as the game is over.
And why I could never be a cricket umpire.

Im a rugby league ref, and I am basically taught to rule in the spirit of the rules. So, not to go to letter of the law as such, but to go with what the rules are meant to be enforcing.

It is quite different though, in cricket, where you do go by the letter of the law. This is a classic example.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cbuts said:
it is pretty doubtful that it happened.
I'd say more than just pretty doubtful!

For one thing, for the stump to be removed, it'd have to travel upwards (because of the point at the end) thus forcing the bails upwards. The bails could not then end up back on the stumps.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Perhaps the ball just moved the stump backwards and flicked the turf into the air.

But for this to happen, the stump would be visible in that picture.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
I've heard that a long time ago a bowler bowled ,the bails flew and then came back and readjusted on the stumps . The batsman was walking but the Umpire called him back cuz he was not out and the bails should fall on the ground .
One incident that I remember is during a test match between SA and Pak , Mushtaq Ahmed bowled to Pat sympcox and the ball went all the way through the stumps without touching the stumps . I think Umppire did'nt see the adjustment of the stumps and those were a little wider than normal and made room for the ball .
I remember that one.

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
There's always room for the ball to pass through without hitting the stumps - it's just so tight it almost never happens.
Damn nothing is virgin these days lol ...