• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rest of India v Mumbai

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This looks like a pretty big domestic game (from Sep 22-26 at Mohali) coming up in India, ahead of the Australian tour.

Teams:
Rest of India
1 Aakash Chopra, 2 Gautam Gambhir, 3 Dheeraj Jadhav, 4 Dinesh Mongia (capt), 5 Sridharan Sriram, 6 Ambati Rayudu, 7 Parthiv Patel (wk), 8 Murali Kartik, 9 Shiv Shankar Paul, 10 Zaheer Khan, 11 Yogesh Golwalkar, 12 Venugopal Rao, 13 Joginder Sharma, 14 Siddharth Trivedi

Mumbai
1 Wasim Jaffer, 2 Vinayak Mane, 3 Vinod Kambli, 4 Amol Muzumdar, 5 Bhavin Thakkar, 6 Vinayak Samant (wk), 7 Sairaj Bahutule (capt), 8 Ramesh Powar, 9 Robin Morris, 10 Avishkar Salvi, 11 Munaf Patel, 12 Vineet Indulkar, 13 Nilesh Kulkarni, 14 Swapnil Hazare, 15 Rohit Sharma

Anyone there (apart from those who have already played tests) to watch out for ?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
sorry dude, im confused... you have no tendulkar, dravid, etc. there, yet you have players who will (should be) selected for the indian squad i.e. chopra, khan, patel, plus a few maybes.

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nnanden said:
sorry dude, im confused... you have no tendulkar, dravid, etc. there, yet you have players who will (should be) selected for the indian squad i.e. chopra, khan, patel, plus a few maybes.

If Sachin Tendulkar's elbow recovers in time, I'd be very surprised if he didn't turn out for Mumbai in this game.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
if chopra can have a good game i think his position would be pretty safe (with yuvraj's form(or lack of it) and all).
pathans place in the side is fixed but none of the others (bala, nehra, agarkar,zaheer(to an extent)) are any good. i'm hoping(no hype) salvi and munaf can do a better job than this lot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Spetsnatz said:
If Sachin Tendulkar's elbow recovers in time, I'd be very surprised if he didn't turn out for Mumbai in this game.
I heard he could be in doubt of even making the Aussie series?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Raj123 said:
if chopra can have a good game i think his position would be pretty safe (with yuvraj's form(or lack of it) and all).
I for one certainly hope so - he has a good partnership going with Sehwag, and it gives the Indian line-up a lot more solid feel IMO.

Of course, SRT's injury may mean he's in anyway with Yuvraj in the middle order.

Sehwag309

Banned
Well, I 'll be cheering for Mumbai...didn't know Munaf played for Mumbai!

If anyone out there so enthu. like me can capture the game on PC via DD, can distribute for those around the World

Raj123

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
I for one certainly hope so - he has a good partnership going with Sehwag, and it gives the Indian line-up a lot more solid feel IMO.

Of course, SRT's injury may mean he's in anyway with Yuvraj in the middle order.
yuvraj to face warne..... that would be a weak link for sure

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj does not deserve a place in either the Test or the ODI side. Even Pathan can bat better than him now. They can choose Sridharan Sriram instead, he's more seasoned, and can play spin a lot better.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Mumbai team is quite good...no complaints about that. I only hope Agarkar does not have a good game- he's had too many free rides.

As for Rest... there are too many players here not good enough to make an Indian team. Chopra and Gambhir should have a good game, and should edge out Sehwag and Patel. Hmmm...why Patel? The new keeper, Dinesh, is a lot better, and he's not too bad a batsman- he's better! How many chances will Murali Karthik get? He just goes for way too many runs between wickets! And who's this Yogesh? Clearly, this is a shady selction, probably to get some reservation for Central Zone, but why wasn't JP Yadav picked? He's an all-rounder and a lot more seasoned than this Yogesh.

The timing of this match is atrocious. A lot of the Indian team's best players are in England, and the quality will be lacking. This is an age-old problem with Indian domestic cricket- the national players hardly ever play in the domestic matches, even when they're out of form, and back home, there are some very consistent players, who hardly get a game for India.

Craig

World Traveller
Arjun said:
Yuvraj does not deserve a place in either the Test or the ODI side. Even Pathan can bat better than him now. They can choose Sridharan Sriram instead, he's more seasoned, and can play spin a lot better.
Sridharan Sriram if he doesn't play a Test for India will probably go down as one of the better players not to play Test cricket for India.

At this stage it is likely that a spot is opening up, for him or Yuvraj to get a spot, hhowever, only as a fill-in for Tendulkar.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
At this stage it is likely that a spot is opening up, for him or Yuvraj to get a spot, hhowever, only as a fill-in for Tendulkar.
Sriram should walk in, but Yuvraj has to have a very superior Champions Tropht to get into the Test team- he should not be considered on present form.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Yuvraj does not deserve a place in either the Test or the ODI side. Even Pathan can bat better than him now.
what are you smoking ? can you back that statement up that Pathan is better then Yuvraj as a batsman ? First of all we are talking about the Aus series which is a test series. Yuvraj as far as I remember had a pretty decent test series last time he played in Pakistan, and he has played only 4 matches and BTW he averages 51. In ODIs his last 50 came in the Asia Cup(and that was not eons ago). He has failed in the matches since, but that's been only 6 matches after that. yes he is on a lean patch in ODIs lately, but we are mostly talking about selection in the context of the Aus series which is a test only series. but could you please enlighten us on the batting accomplishments of Pathan that make him better then Yuvraj.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
aussie_beater said:
what are you smoking ? can you back that statement up that Pathan is better then Yuvraj as a batsman ? First of all we are talking about the Aus series which is a test series. Yuvraj as far as I remember had a pretty decent test series last time he played in Pakistan, and he has played only 4 matches and BTW he averages 51. In ODIs his last 50 came in the Asia Cup(and that was not eons ago). He has failed in the matches since, but that's been only 6 matches after that. yes he is on a lean patch in ODIs lately, but we are mostly talking about selection in the context of the Aus series which is a test only series. but could you please enlighten us on the batting accomplishments of Pathan that make him better then Yuvraj.
i know odi form isnt(shouldnt be) an indication for test selection. but should yuvraj be selected directly based on his display in pak, or maybe someone like kaif could be given a go(considering he is next in line for test selection and present form). my concern with yuvraj's selection is his ability to play spin with warne, white, hauritz, lehmann, clarke etc in the squad.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Raj123 said:
i know odi form isnt(shouldnt be) an indication for test selection. but should yuvraj be selected directly based on his display in pak, or maybe someone like kaif could be given a go(considering he is next in line for test selection and present form). my concern with yuvraj's selection is his ability to play spin with warne, white, hauritz, lehmann, clarke etc in the squad.
And that's quite a legitimate point which can be argued.But what miffed me with that earlier post from Arjun was the comparison he gave between Irfan Pathan and Yuvraj.And I have seen he has been going around in this forum in other threads about how great a batsman Irfan Pathan is and how genuine an allrounder he is and all that based on absoulute zilch of evidence.

IMO, Yuvraj will be better then Kaif, but I think Sriram's claim can be a legitimate one because of his abilities in Indian conditions. But one thing to be remembered is that probably the Aussie playing eleven for all the tests will have 3 quicks and just one spinner in Warne.I guess it all comes down to how well Sriram performs in this match and how Yuvraj does in the India-Pak match and the rest of the Champions trophy if India move forward in the tournament.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
aussie_beater said:
And that's quite a legitimate point which can be argued.But what miffed me with that earlier post from Arjun was the comparison he gave between Irfan Pathan and Yuvraj.And I have seen he has been going around in this forum in other threads about how great a batsman Irfan Pathan is and how genuine an allrounder he is and all that based on absoulute zilch of evidence.

IMO, Yuvraj will be better then Kaif, but I think Sriram's claim can be a legitimate one because of his abilities in Indian conditions. But one thing to be remembered is that probably the Aussie playing eleven for all the tests will have 3 quicks and just one spinner in Warne.I guess it all comes down to how well Sriram performs in this match and how Yuvraj does in the India-Pak match and the rest of the Champions trophy if India move forward in the tournament.
lehmann can be dangerous, clarke is alright, and there is the extra option of katich. from what i've seen and heard yuvraj just cant play spin. so would he be any good. dinesh mongia is captain of the rest side, i wonder if the selectors are trying to get cute and push him into the side. sriram's record looks pretty solid though. i've heard a lot about rayudu last year but dont think hes in the scheme of things anymore.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Raj123 said:
lehmann can be dangerous, clarke is alright, and there is the extra option of katich. from what i've seen and heard yuvraj just cant play spin. so would he be any good. dinesh mongia is captain of the rest side, i wonder if the selectors are trying to get cute and push him into the side. sriram's record looks pretty solid though. i've heard a lot about rayudu last year but dont think hes in the scheme of things anymore.
Yes I agree that Yuvraj's skills against decent spin bowling are quite suspect.In the world cup group match against Kenya last year when India were in trouble batting second and Ganguly and Yuvraj were in the crease, you could see the discomfort of Yuvraj against Obuya the Kenyan leggie and only after Ganguly hit him for a couple of sixes, his line went wrong and then Yuvraj was able to pick him better. Sriram probably has better credentials then Yuvraj in that regard.