Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 254

Thread: Wisden's Greatest Post War England XI

  1. #1
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,823

    Wisden's Greatest Post War England XI

    Wisden's Greatest Post War England XI

    Len Hutton (cpt)
    Graham Gooch
    Peter May
    Denis Compton
    Ken Barrington
    Ian Botham
    Alan Knott (wk)
    Jim Laker
    Fred Trueman
    Alec Bedser
    Derek Underwood

    I very rarely agree with the selection of these types of teams picked by 'experts', but in this case they are bang on. The only change I would make is Boycott for Gooch (he has not been made captain and averaged just 35 as non-captain).
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  2. #2
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,407
    Boycott was a selfish idiot, who should not be allowed anywhere near an 'All Time XI'.

    Plus, Gooch is class.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    19,058
    Advanced Hair Studios

  4. #4
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,984
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    Wisden's Greatest Post War England XI

    Len Hutton (cpt)
    Graham Gooch
    Peter May
    Denis Compton
    Ken Barrington
    Ian Botham
    Alan Knott (wk)
    Jim Laker
    Fred Trueman
    Alec Bedser
    Derek Underwood

    I very rarely agree with the selection of these types of teams picked by 'experts', but in this case they are bang on. The only change I would make is Boycott for Gooch (he has not been made captain and averaged just 35 as non-captain).
    Gooch's selection is extraordinary, as it's effectively based on 4 good years out of a 19 year test career. Not sure about Bedser, who was admittedly excellent in England but I suspect his stats elsewhere weren't so impressive. Tyson would have been my choice as the second quick.

    Botham at 6 is a tough one. In his best years, he was batting at 7 and, by the time he was in the top 6 he was in decline and didn't merit a place in any sort of Greatest XI. Greig would be a better bet at 6, but his bowling wasn't as good as Beefy's.


  5. #5
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    Not sure about Bedser, who was admittedly excellent in England but I suspect his stats elsewhere weren't so impressive.
    AV Bedser

    in Australia 11 3827 1489 47 31.68 5/46 2.33 81.4 2 1
    in England 32 9700 3600 167 21.55 7/44 2.22 58.0 13 4
    in New Zealand 3 738 233 6 38.83 4/95 1.89 123.0 0 0
    in South Africa 5 1653 554 16 34.62 4/39 2.01 103.3 0 0

    You have been proved correct.

  6. #6
    Cricket Spectator Nedved's Fan's Avatar
    Virus Champion! Super Mario Mushroom Champion! Treasure Diver Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    43
    Was Botham either one of the six best batsmen or five best bowlers? In a team of this kind, would not a specialist be a better bet?

    As it stands, four bowlers would be enough. Bedser, Laker and Underwood typically bowled long spells, and if necessary could be relieved by Gooch, Compton or Barrington.

    I'd have Dexter in place of Botham.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    No Freddy or Harmison! :P
    Or something.

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

  8. #8
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    Gooch's selection is extraordinary, as it's effectively based on 4 good years out of a 19 year test career. Not sure about Bedser, who was admittedly excellent in England but I suspect his stats elsewhere weren't so impressive. Tyson would have been my choice as the second quick.

    Botham at 6 is a tough one. In his best years, he was batting at 7 and, by the time he was in the top 6 he was in decline and didn't merit a place in any sort of Greatest XI. Greig would be a better bet at 6, but his bowling wasn't as good as Beefy's.
    so you would choose Tyson over Bedser even though Tyson only played 17 tests,,,but you wouldnt choose Gooch because he was only good for 4 years (even though in reality he was one of the very best batsmen in the world for a good 7 or 8 years, if not longer)
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  9. #9
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedved's Fan
    Was Botham either one of the six best batsmen or five best bowlers? In a team of this kind, would not a specialist be a better bet?

    As it stands, four bowlers would be enough. Bedser, Laker and Underwood typically bowled long spells, and if necessary could be relieved by Gooch, Compton or Barrington.

    I'd have Dexter in place of Botham.
    Botham was the best allrounder England have produced without a doubt since the war...cant really beleive there is a debate brewing about whether he should be in this XI

  10. #10
    State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    My opinion is Statham should be in place of Bedser. He was more reliable and his accuracy was legendary.He was the McGrath of his time.IMO, Tyson played too little to be considered in the best post-war team for England
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

  11. #11
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999
    No Freddy or Harmison! :P
    Flintoff has only been successful for around 12 months, he has yet to dominate a top class side, and his overall career record is still no better than average.

    The first two points could also be thrown at Harmison.

  12. #12
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_beater
    My opinion is Statham should be in place of Bedser. He was more reliable and his accuracy was legendary.He was the McGrath of his time.IMO,
    Bedser is generally rated higher by most people who saw them both.

  13. #13
    State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    Bedser is generally rated higher by most people who saw them both.
    Actually Statham gets less credit because he played mostly under the shadow of Trueman and with Trueman being such a character, Statham almost went unnoticed in most occasions. But he was the perfect foil for Trueman to perform his heroics while Statham kept doing his steady line and length job on the other side. Bedser didn't have to contend for space with anyone like that. And as someone pointed out earlier, he was not the best when playing outside of England.

  14. #14
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Of course averages dont tell the full story do they.....

  15. #15
    State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    Of course averages dont tell the full story do they.....
    Now that you reminded me, I checked to see that Statham beats Bedser statistically too, and that after playing 20 more matches then Bedser.

    I saw some footage of Statham and Trueman operating in tandem in a TV series that Gavaskar did in India long time ago in the 80s, and Statham apeared to be no less then Trueman except that Trueman had the aggression going for him and Statham was more subdued in a sense.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Greatest Test Match
    By Beleg in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 21-03-2004, 01:49 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-04-2003, 11:17 PM
  3. View first unread post
    By Bazza in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-01-2003, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •