Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Vaughan Practically Useless In One Dayers

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Eggs Champion!

Why is Vaughan Practically Useless In One Dayers

I blame arrogance and complacence for many of his downfalls.......... its not like he doesn't have the skill or the technique. But in all honesty, even in domestic one day cricket for Yorkshire, his record is nothing to write home about (average 27), so we should probably not be surprised that he does bugger all at the international level. A brief look at his record year by year shows that there are no signs of improvement.

2001 (age: 26y 64d) 6 6 0 42 26 7.00 0 0
    2002 (27y 64d) 11 10 1 253 63 28.11 0 2
    2003 (28y 64d) 22 22 3 587 83 30.89 0 4
    2004 (29y 64d) 13 12 0 231 74 19.25 0 2

What do you think?
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Interestingly, when out bowled, he averages just 3.60! Also, his average overseas (29) is 10 runs higher than at home (19), and when he loses the toss he averages 9 runs more than when he wins it (28 to 19).

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    haha what crazy stats...
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    I blame arrogance and complacence for many of his downfalls.......... its not like he doesn't have the skill or the technique. But in all honesty, even in domestic one day cricket for Yorkshire, his record is nothing to write home about (average 27), so we should probably not be surprised that he does bugger all at the international level. A brief look at his record year by year shows that there are no signs of improvement.

2001 (age: 26y 64d) 6 6 0 42 26 7.00 0 0
    2002 (27y 64d) 11 10 1 253 63 28.11 0 2
    2003 (28y 64d) 22 22 3 587 83 30.89 0 4
    2004 (29y 64d) 13 12 0 231 74 19.25 0 2

What do you think?
    i wouldnt put it down to arrogance at all...I think he looks alot more relaxed in a test environment whilst batting,hence he does better in tests. I am sure it frustrates him as well, which probably adds to the problems.

I think (hope, for his sake) if a couple of things go his way (like the odd dropped catch whilst he is batting etc) and he gets a few biggish scores soon, he might turn it around
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Interestingly, when out bowled, he averages just 3.60! Also, his average overseas (29) is 10 runs higher than at home (19), and when he loses the toss he averages 9 runs more than when he wins it (28 to 19).

I think that just suggests he is very vunerable very early on in an innings to the straight ball

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    I think that just suggests he is very vunerable very early on in an innings to the straight ball
    And when set, he has no problems whatsoever with yorkers etc.

i sense sarcasm there..what you trying to say there

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I think Vaughan struggles, particularly early in his innings because there aren't as many gaps in the field as there are in tests. The same happened to Slater, in tests, it was easy to plug one or two through cover, work a few threw midwicket and get the innings going. However, in ODIs these areas are usually plugged from ball one. I think he would be better served and adapt his game like Hayden, who tends to work singles early in his innings in ODIs, although it is very easy to do that with Gilchrist & Ponting at the other end.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Well, if he'd been bowled just once by one when set, there's no way that number would be so low.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    i wouldnt put it down to arrogance at all...I think he looks alot more relaxed in a test environment whilst batting,hence he does better in tests. I am sure it frustrates him as well, which probably adds to the problems.
    whatever you wanna call it, i would say that anyone who goes after balls wide outside off stump and is basically playing shots too early in his innings is playing extremely rashly especially considering that he still hasnt settled into ODI cricket.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    whatever you wanna call it, i would say that anyone who goes after balls wide outside off stump and is basically playing shots too early in his innings is playing extremely rashly especially considering that he still hasnt settled into ODI cricket.
    yeah,,but it isnt arrogance...its something he needs to sort out, but he is a class player and i would say IF he sorts this mental thing out (and it can only be a mental thing),he should succeed...of course that is a big IF

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I would agree with Kyle that the problems are similar to Michael Slater's - Vaughan in Test-cricket scores a lot of runs in boundaries and you can't do that in one-day cricket. Equally, Vaughan is much more a play-from-the-crease player and isn't especially good at improvising.
    However good someone is at playing in the orthodox way, and however much conventional thinking would have it that the best players must be able to do anything neccessary for success in both game-forms, it's not true.
    Vaughan has never been a good one-day-player, in all of 11 years playing the game at the top level. IMO it's almost impossible for that to change in the remainder of his career.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Massive Zebra

I think you are underrating Vaughan's skills. This guy is a real rock when the chips are down and his uncanny ability to put away the stray ball outside of offstump is quite remarkable. You would be well advised to recheck some of your stats because many of his lower scores were due to poor support from his lesser skilled team mates. And don't forget that Vaughan rarely is caught off his guard with the googly.

It does seem to be an anomaly, however I can see him doing a lot better than Slater. For starters he is a much better player than Slater and has more shots, so can probably adapt better to the oneday game. You'd be a fool to drop him, he's just too good, he's a class act.

Vaughan is pathetic. Not footwork Yorkshireman with all the flair of Geoff
    Boycott

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information