• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Vaughan Practically Useless In One Dayers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Oh, and that's so much more acceptable isn't it 8-)
It is perfectly acceptible.
Whatever the reasons, 4-an-over is an acceptible threshold in one-day cricket and has been for years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, it has to be taken in context - if a team is defending 180 on a tricky wicket then 4 an over is not acceptable at all as they would then lose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if they're fielding first and bowling someone out for 150, on any wicket, it's a pretty good effort, because bowling someone out for 150 is always a good effort, and if someone has gone for less than 4-an-over they've played their part.

Steulen

International Regular
Probably stated in this thread by someone before...but his shot selection is so overdone in one-dayers. Case in point: McGrath bowls 4 maiden overs, in the 5th over Vaughan decides to try and do something about it...by slogging the ball straight to a fielder. Why not try and ease your way out of trouble?

I think he just wants to get on with it a little bit too badly

Monty

U19 Cricketer
Steulen said:
Probably stated in this thread by someone before...but his shot selection is so overdone in one-dayers. Case in point: McGrath bowls 4 maiden overs, in the 5th over Vaughan decides to try and do something about it...by slogging the ball straight to a fielder. Why not try and ease your way out of trouble?

I think he just wants to get on with it a little bit too badly
good point
he just tried to rush it he could of easily tap around a few singles but he got aggrevated which is some thing the aussies are good at (making batsman aggrevated and stressed)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Vaughan should not be playing ODIs. Waste of space... ridiculously dissapointing.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, I just think he's a bit too boundary reliant. From what I've seen of him, he really struggles just to turn the strike over. It's actually a similar problem to what Matthew Hayden runs into at times, but Hayden is better at turning the strike over by a bit, better at finding the gaps for boundaries and also opens the batting so gets to play most of his cricket with the field up.

Maybe's that's a bit of an answer for Vaughan? Then again he's probably opened plenty in OD games without having that much success, so I'm not sure. He just needs to work on picking up more singles and playing an anchor role like other somewhat dour boundary-reliant middle order batsmen like Kallis, Dravid etc do and manage to be effective.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I've said before Vaughan is a master of the good shot for no run. His placement is pretty poor, especially at the start of his innings. He doesn't seem to have any sort of gentle, non-flashy shots, like for instance when someone would calmly run it into a gap with minimum fuss and effort he would either block or try a flashy drive/pull.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Richard to serve - love one.
It does amuse me to see 2 threads dug up in one day.

Both have them have died out because Richard got in an argument with someone else, and the other person gave up as they were sick of banging their head against a brick wall.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i think the main reason why Vaughan doesn't have such a fantastic ODI record is because he's a he scores most of his runs in test cricket via boundaries & in ODI's u cant do that. But he certainy should he can be a good ODI batsmen but he is so inconsistent. The fact is the he's never been a great ODI batsman and i get the feeling that may remain the same throughout his career.

Pretty similar ODI record to Hussain

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, Hussain while not the best ODI player you'll see always merited a place in the side - just a shame he so often insisted on batting three.
Vaughan has never, ever merited a place in the side.
Nonetheless, there's currently no case for dropping him, and this record is even better when you knock-out the Bangladesh game.
A run of low scores is surely just around the corner, and at that point it just might be time to give-up on the idea of Vaughan ever making a ODI-class player once-and-for-all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Honestly, I just think he's a bit too boundary reliant. From what I've seen of him, he really struggles just to turn the strike over. It's actually a similar problem to what Matthew Hayden runs into at times, but Hayden is better at turning the strike over by a bit, better at finding the gaps for boundaries and also opens the batting so gets to play most of his cricket with the field up.

Maybe's that's a bit of an answer for Vaughan? Then again he's probably opened plenty in OD games without having that much success, so I'm not sure. He just needs to work on picking up more singles and playing an anchor role like other somewhat dour boundary-reliant middle order batsmen like Kallis, Dravid etc do and manage to be effective.
Kallis and Dravid have almost always been good players with good one-day records. While they might be boundary-hitters in Tests they change their game for ODIs - something Hayden, Vaughan and Laxman are clearly incapable of doing, having played one-day cricket for a long, long time now.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
No, Hussain while not the best ODI player you'll see always merited a place in the side - just a shame he so often insisted on batting three.
Vaughan has never, ever merited a place in the side.
Nonetheless, there's currently no case for dropping him, and this record is even better when you knock-out the Bangladesh game.
A run of low scores is surely just around the corner, and at that point it just might be time to give-up on the idea of Vaughan ever making a ODI-class player once-and-for-all.
and you think hussain merited a place for his batting during this period:
http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

which only gets worse when you remove the 85 against bangladesh?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, it was a poor run indeed, but all it said was that he shouldn't have been batting three and Hick's axing was beyond absurd.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Kallis and Dravid have almost always been good players with good one-day records. While they might be boundary-hitters in Tests they change their game for ODIs - something Hayden, Vaughan and Laxman are clearly incapable of doing, having played one-day cricket for a long, long time now.
Which is why Hayden averages more than Adam Gilchrist, Sanath Jayasuria etc at a respectable strike rate, is it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's due to the poor standard of bowling.
Anyone with any cricketing clout whatsoever can tell Jayasuriya and Gilchrist are infinately better ODI batsmen than Hayden.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
That's due to the poor standard of bowling.
Anyone with any cricketing clout whatsoever can tell Jayasuriya and Gilchrist are infinately better ODI batsmen than Hayden.
Gilchrist and Hayden open in the same team, and face the same bowling!