• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Vaughan Practically Useless In One Dayers

twctopcat

International Regular
He seems to be getting slightly better recently but i think it seems to be his lack of feet in adjusting to different balls in ODI's that is his problem. He's too much of a stand and deliver player that is fine in tests, that can deal in boundaries. The ODI against India in the recent natwest was the perfect example when england were chasing the target and vaughan couldnt score of harbhajan. He didn't know what to do.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slightly better is still not quite good enough I'm afraid.

If slightly better is...

8, 0, 74, 17, 5, 86, 7, 56, 11

An average of 26.80 in his last 10 ODI innings. 52 runs in the 7 innings that he failed to reach 50.

twctopcat

International Regular
I said slightly because those three 50+ were the reason for encouragement. Better knocks where he didn't try to do anything out of the ordinary in terms of batting.

Mr Mxyzptlk

twctopcat said:
I said slightly because those three 50+ were the reason for encouragement. Better knocks where he didn't try to do anything out of the ordinary in terms of batting.
Still quite poor. 50s are all well and good, but when you fail 3 of every 4 ODI games or so, you're hurting the team being there.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Still quite poor. 50s are all well and good, but when you fail 3 of every 4 ODI games or so, you're hurting the team being there.
Very true, but i will wait another 20 games or so to see if he can remedy it.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
For-crying-out-loud we've waited 58 already! (Or you could say 236)
Patience is a virtue. The sooner Vaughan stops trying to be Freddy and more like someone like Dravid in ODI's the better IMO. I don't really rate Vaughan in ODI's but i don't think it's doing us massive harm at the moment to persist, the WC isn't for a few years.

Mr Mxyzptlk

twctopcat said:
Very true, but i will wait another 20 games or so to see if he can remedy it.
I must say that (for the second time today!) I agree with Richard. You can't keep on saying a little more, a little more, a little more, because then it turns into a full more - a lot.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Patience is a virtue. The sooner Vaughan stops trying to be Freddy and more like someone like Dravid in ODI's the better IMO. I don't really rate Vaughan in ODI's but i don't think it's doing us massive harm at the moment to persist, the WC isn't for a few years.
That is absolutely correct.

He is in the same problem as Dravid was earlier on. Not able to decide whether his game (what he did so efficiently in tests) was responsible for his poor record in one dayers and being caught between the devil and the deep sea as he tried to change.

Dravid has now found the happy medium and realised that he has his own place , AND USEFULNESS, in the side which is different, but valuable nevertheless. Vaughan wil come to the same conclusion soon and play accordingly.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I must say that (for the second time today!) I agree with Richard. You can't keep on saying a little more, a little more, a little more, because then it turns into a full more - a lot.
Even if the guy obviously has talent? It's just a matter of him realising he is the sort of player with a 70 sr and not 100 sr like freddy, then he will be fine.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My view of Vaughan is that he doesn't yet have a role defined.

Once he's established if he's an opener, a number 3 or a number 4 and then sticks to that role, it'd be a lot better for all concerned.

Mr Mxyzptlk

twctopcat said:
Even if the guy obviously has talent? It's just a matter of him realising he is the sort of player with a 70 sr and not 100 sr like freddy, then he will be fine.
You'd think he'd get an inkling in 58 ODIs!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not to mention 236 List-A Limited-Overs games.
All this stuff about Vaughan not knowing his role\style of play, etc. are disregarding the fact that Vaughan has been playing cricket for a long, long, long time and has never done what is neccessary to succeed.
Why do we all assume it'll start now?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
That is absolutely correct.

He is in the same problem as Dravid was earlier on. Not able to decide whether his game (what he did so efficiently in tests) was responsible for his poor record in one dayers and being caught between the devil and the deep sea as he tried to change.

Dravid has now found the happy medium and realised that he has his own place , AND USEFULNESS, in the side which is different, but valuable nevertheless. Vaughan wil come to the same conclusion soon and play accordingly.
Dravid has always scored runs in one-day games, though? Even if he of times used to score them too slowly.
Even in internationals, his average was over 35 barely a year after his debut. Certainly I can't believe he could have got a domestic average of over 50 if he'd had a poor start.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr. Vaughan seems to do well enough playing for Yorkshire against Lancashire in the C&G trophy :dry: