• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Vaughan Practically Useless In One Dayers

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
nope, there have been plenty of players whose records make them look better/worse than they actually are.
hussain, butcher and even flintoff, are far better and more successful players than their records suggest.
likewise players like gayle,trescothick, sarwan etc are made to look more successful than they actually are.
Yeah Roshan Mahanama is one of those players whose records make them look worse than they actually are. :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
yes and there in lies the problem. the fact that someone who averages over 40 is immediately considered a success and someone who averages over 50 an all time great(hayden) is wrong.
Ironically you are areguing just the opposite in some other thread. :-O

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
You got that impression from my statement?

Clever thing.

We don't get consistent failure anyway. We get to play Pakistan now and again.
By consistent failure I meant Vaughan specifically,

BTW whats with the WE you aren't directly in the team. This is a discussion on Vaughan, not on England V Pakistan

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Run like Inzy said:
By consistent failure I meant Vaughan specifically,

BTW whats with the WE you aren't directly in the team. This is a discussion on Vaughan, not on England V Pakistan
Whilst a batting average of under 30 is undesirable to say the least, the fact that is that he is fast developing a reputation as a master tactician and a quite brilliant captain.

Now by all means throw him out because his batting average is 10 below what it really ought to be, but who would you then bring in to replace his leadership qualities? From what I can see, there isn't another candidate who comes close.

I apologise if you think I'm having a dig at you or your team - it wasn't intended that way, believe me. By aligning yourself with the old fat-bottied pie-muncher himself (as your user name implies) I naturally assumed that you had a sense of humour.

Obviously I was wrong.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
Whilst a batting average of under 30 is undesirable to say the least, the fact that is that he is fast developing a reputation as a master tactician and a quite brilliant captain.

Now by all means throw him out because his batting average is 10 below what it really ought to be, but who would you then bring in to replace his leadership qualities? From what I can see, there isn't another candidate who comes close.

I apologise if you think I'm having a dig at you or your team - it wasn't intended that way, believe me. By aligning yourself with the old fat-bottied pie-muncher himself (as your user name implies) I naturally assumed that you had a sense of humour.

Obviously I was wrong.
I do mate it's just i'm kinda new and really got into the arguement sorry, i guess it is kinda pointless going on about the same thing

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Run like Inzy said:
I do mate it's just i'm kinda new and really got into the arguement sorry, i guess it is kinda pointless going on about the same thing
We all make mistakes, especially me.

I'm tolerated on this forum as a grumpy old man, and it's been noted by some that I give some of our new members a harder time than I ought to really. Sorry if I leaned on you a bit hard.

Welcome to Cricket Web, and Inzy is one of my all-time favourites too (you'll find plenty of little 'stories' about him in Devil Ducky's Diary scattered throughout the site and in the news archive).

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
Yeah Roshan Mahanama is one of those players whose records make them look worse than they actually are. :p
yes it does. the records make him look like hes rubbish, but hes actually acceptable.
fact is that players who average in the high 20s- low 30s after a significant number of tests cant be quality players, just like players who average in the 50s cant be rubbish.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Interesting set of statistics on Cricinfo today:

Top ODI batsmen at No.3 since July, 2004 (at least 20 ODIs at No.3)
Code:
Batsman 		Inns 	Runs 	Ave 	100s/ 50s
Shoaib Malik 		25 	1141 	47.54 	2/ 9
Ricky Ponting 		45 	1703 	41.54 	4/ 10
Michael Vaughan 	24 	695 	38.61 	0/ 8
Kumar Sangakkara 	24 	860 	37.39 	0/ 9
Jacques Kallis 		25 	803 	36.50 	1/ 6

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's crazy, ain't it?
Not to be forgotten, of course, that Vaughan's includes 4 innings against Zimbabwe, but nonetheless even taking all other than that hs form has been better than would be expected.
Surely soon he's due for another NWS2004.