• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Champions trophy a waste ??

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Is there anybody here that agrees with me that the ICC Champions trophy is a waste of time and energy for all the teams with the world cup just round the bend and all of the teams calendar fully packed up ? Or its just me ?
:I

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think its a waste, if the ICC schedule & plan the tournament correctly.
however im not sure why they planned one so close to the World Cup.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
....however im not sure why they planned one so close to the World Cup.
That's what I am talking about...yes the ICC trophy can take place every two years or whatever but there is no necessity for such a tournament when the world cup is round the corner.That just puts unnecessary pressure on the players and potentially robs the world cup.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed. It certainly is a waste of ime and money. It's not the only one. This off-season stuff in Melbourne.

Do the ICC REALLY have memories that short? one of the reasons which bred match-fixing was the plethora of meaningless tournaments and matches where players didn't care because they counted for naught. So what do they do? Organise this useless tournament and the off-season jaunts between Australia and Pakistan and South Africa last year.

Scrap the ICC Champions Trophy, the games in Melbourne in July, the Asian Test Championship (I mean, there's no Pacific Test Championship between Australia, New Zealand and the West Indies, is there?) and other related tournaments and make every game actually worth something.

Top_Cat

That's what I am talking about...yes the ICC trophy can take place every two years or whatever but there is no necessity for such a tournament when the world cup is round the corner.That just puts unnecessary pressure on the players and potentially robs the world cup
Precisely. How about a rest before such a gruelling campaign?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Yes, that Asian test Chapionship is another farce that needs to be done away with...the inaugural year saw India play Pakistan in a one off match in Calcutta as part of this crappy championship when the test series between the two countries had only two tests....I couldn't understand who's idiotic idea was it to formulate such a farce...no wonder it was Dalmiya.

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree that the ICC Champions trophy may be very tiring for members of test playing nations, but it is not a waste of time. It is very valuable ODI experience for ICC associate members like Kenya. They hardly ever get a chance to play.

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
OFCOURSE THE CHAMPIONS TROPHY IS A WASTE.....WHAT WERE THE BIGWIGS IN THE ICC THINKING WHEN THEY SCRAPPED THE KNOCKOUT SYSTEM IN FAVOUR OF THE GROUP SYS?I MEAN IF YOU WANT GROUPS PLAY THE WORLD CUP.ONLY INSTEAD OF TWO YOU NOW HAVE 4 GROUPS.THE EARLIER FORMAT WAS MORE EXCITING.....PLUS I ENJOYED AUSTRALIA BEING KNOCKED OUT BY INDIA TWICE IN THEIR VERY FIRST MATCH!!!HA HA HA HA .

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cut out the capitals please. GI has been warned on this, now you have too. They are completely unneccessary.

The Champions Trophy is a good thing IMO as it allows all the teams to be compared and gives smaller nations experience. However, it should not be so close to the World Cup.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't think it is a waste but I don't think it should be so close to the world cup. If they had it every 4 years.(like the world cup) I think it would be really good.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think AUS, SA and PAK would be favourites. But these teams can't have one bad day. It really could be any team in a knockout tournament like this.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Does anybody else think it's a waste? I don't...

BTW, Richard, I believe this makes six :p :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My computer just crashed - normally at this time in the morning I bow to the inevitable and don't bother to reboot it - but I don't want to get-up later and find-out you've dug-up half the forum - I want to watch it happen!

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
My computer just crashed - normally at this time in the morning I bow to the inevitable and don't bother to reboot it - but I don't want to get-up later and find-out you've dug-up half the forum - I want to watch it happen!
Meh, I went to bed instead. Digging, digging, and even more digging can wait

Mr Mxyzptlk

sir middle stump said:
OFCOURSE THE CHAMPIONS TROPHY IS A WASTE.....WHAT WERE THE BIGWIGS IN THE ICC THINKING WHEN THEY SCRAPPED THE KNOCKOUT SYSTEM IN FAVOUR OF THE GROUP SYS?I MEAN IF YOU WANT GROUPS PLAY THE WORLD CUP.ONLY INSTEAD OF TWO YOU NOW HAVE 4 GROUPS.THE EARLIER FORMAT WAS MORE EXCITING.....PLUS I ENJOYED AUSTRALIA BEING KNOCKED OUT BY INDIA TWICE IN THEIR VERY FIRST MATCH!!!HA HA HA HA .
It basically still is a knockout tournament.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Why can't it be a decent straight knockout cup? They seem to have a problem with keeping it simple tbh.. And we have to watch the USA play 2 games...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The present format is a collossal waste of time.

I think ICC needs to look beyond national teams. Matches between World Cup Champs vs Rest of the world and/or southern hemisphere vs northern might bring some better cclass of competition.

I know, its a question of getting the teams motivated and the crowds enthusiastic without the nationalistic fervour but we cant have so many poor contests. This cant be good for the game.

I watched the Zimbabwe/Pakistan (A?B?) ODI today. Zimbabwe managed a decent total but the cricket was of such low standard that this cant be good for the long term health of the game.

Lack of quality as well as variety in bowling sticks out like a sore thumb in most matches.