• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Agnew: Champions Trophy should become Twenty20 tournament

Majin

International Debutant
I think i'm the only person in the world who doesn't like 20/20 cricket. :\

Majin

International Debutant
I dunno, it's just not my thing I guess. I prefer test matches anyway, but It all just seems a bit too short, the tension doesn't build up so much.

Swervy

International Captain
Majin said:
I dunno, it's just not my thing I guess. I prefer test matches anyway, but It all just seems a bit too short, the tension doesn't build up so much.
I know what you mean,test matches are the best form of the game...but for cheap thrills,2020 is top notch

Majin

International Debutant
I like watching good bowling as well, like watching the batsman being worried and nervous, getting worked over then getting their stumps smashed, can't beat it, and the 20/20 just seems more batting orientated. Although the batsmen friendly pitches in general recently bore me.

anzac

International Debutant
jeez I thought ODIs were bad enough re setting the game up for batsmen - 20/20 is soooo much worse in that regard..................

still pandering to people with ADD to keep them entertained..............

must be an absolute hoot to play if you do not take it too seriously - but I'd hate to see it gain any further credibility by becoming a major tourneyment.......

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I probably sound like all the critics did back when everyone introduced ODI cricket, but 20/20 cricket (at a major international level) would really be killing the game. Do the bowlers even matter? I admit I unfortunately haven't ever seen it being played, and I'm sure its fun to watch but I think we'd be taking it too far.

Last edited:

Majin

International Debutant
One day contests are fine, but I do think 20/20 is watering it down too much.

Swervy

International Captain
Jono said:
I probably sound like all the critics did back when everyone introduced ODI cricket, but 20/20 cricket (at a major international level) would really be killing the game. Do the bowlers even matter? I admit I unfortunately haven't ever seen it being played, and I'm sure its fun to watch but I think we'd be taking it too far.
it is unfortunate for those of us who enjoy the finer aspects of cricket...but the game must change in order for it to grow...20/20 attracts spectators, cant get away from that one,and these days people want to be entertained quickly

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
it is unfortunate for those of us who enjoy the finer aspects of cricket...but the game must change in order for it to grow...20/20 attracts spectators, cant get away from that one,and these days people want to be entertained quickly
Even though cricket is not played in that many countries the money in the game is not that bad when u see many other sports.ya the game has to grow further but i dont think 20/20 is the way.its ilke the rugby sevens it may be good to watch but u c its not what i would like to watch.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swervy said:
its the future...to coin a Peter Kaye phrase
I kind of hope it isn't, while it's undoubtedly good to watch, I don't think it breeds good cricketers. THe area I played in the UK had 20 over games for the juniors and some of the shots you see being played in Saturday comps (in only a slightly longer format - 46 overs, but one which the openers etc can bat correctly and score) were attrocious. I know this won't affect established players, but it'd be nice to see tournaments that have been around for a while and are 50 overs staying that way. 20/20 can do it's own thing.

anzac

International Debutant
I saw something on TV a couple of years back - not sure if it was 20/20 or whatever they call it in NZL - but it was an int comp of some sort.........

basically it looged like a slog fest for the batsmen & a game designed for 'allrounders' - even more so than ODIs - as opposed to 'genuine' cricketers - if you think about the difference from Tests to ODIs, and then apply that from ODIs to this then you get the idea...........

players like Adams who can't get into the current NZL ODI squad would be ideal for this..........

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't like the idea of 20/20 replacing normal ODI's in international cricket, i'd rather watch 50 overs anyday.

And the no-ball thing is a great idea, should have been done ages ago. The umpires can concentrate on the important stuff now

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I personally wouldn't be in the least bothered if Twenty20 replaced 50 overs. It is not, repeat not, a slog-fest and it has far more intensity and brain-work required on part of batsman, bowlers, keepers and fielders.

There was a lot of suspicion (me included) when it was launched last summer but the cynics have been proven well and truly wrong on all levels.

As for 20 overs/46 overs, Coco... Well, first thing I notice is that it's 46 overs so it's not going to be that high a level of players - either 2nd XI or 2nd Division or lower (or both!) so that's why the shots are crap. The kids' game in this country is in trouble as it is with only 20 over games available due to time constraints (I would dearly love to be able to get some longer games going next summer for the kids at Exeter), so you're trying to encourage all kinds of play (not just Twenty20-specific cricket) and as such really can't be compared to professional Twenty20.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
I personally wouldn't be in the least bothered if Twenty20 replaced 50 overs. It is not, repeat not, a slog-fest and it has far more intensity and brain-work required on part of batsman, bowlers, keepers and fielders.

There was a lot of suspicion (me included) when it was launched last summer but the cynics have been proven well and truly wrong on all levels.

As for 20 overs/46 overs, Coco... Well, first thing I notice is that it's 46 overs so it's not going to be that high a level of players - either 2nd XI or 2nd Division or lower (or both!) so that's why the shots are crap. The kids' game in this country is in trouble as it is with only 20 over games available due to time constraints (I would dearly love to be able to get some longer games going next summer for the kids at Exeter), so you're trying to encourage all kinds of play (not just Twenty20-specific cricket) and as such really can't be compared to professional Twenty20.
That's true, it was crap! But I should have been a bit more specific - the person I was referring to was an apparent up and coming cricketer in the area who had quite an array of ordinary shots which I presume were born out of the 20 over smash and grab games he played during the week in juniors. You'd also know that there are a much wider range of abilities in teams in the UK, you'll get your players who look like they've never played before, along with guys who have represented Devon (in this instance) all in the same team. It's a case of most people playing in the closest team in their area, and if that team's in 1st Div then so be it. It only takes a decent international player plus a few decent local players to see your team go up at the end of the season. To be honest, I can't see why they can't play the juniors over two Saturdays like they do at home in Australia. I know there's a lot of rain etc, but that's going to stuff things up anyway so.......when I played we had one and a half days rain on Saturdays all season, which may have been a miracle but anyway. If the first day gets rained out then play a limited overs game the next weekend.

JeffStar

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
well the thought of this tourny becoming Twenty/20 sounds great. especially the fact that i think it would help the chances of it one day being held here in the states.