• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salim Malik to appeal life ban

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Malik challenges life ban in a Pakistani court

Pakistan's former captain Salim Malik is seeking to overturn a life ban, imposed on him two years ago for alleged match-fixing.

His lawyer said a petition had been filed in Pakistan's Supreme Court in the hope of clearing his name.

Australian players Mark Waugh, Shane Warne and Tim May had alleged that Malik offered them bribes during the Pakistan tour of the 1994-95.

Malik was banned on the recommendation of Lahore High Court Judge Malik Mohammed Qayyum, following a match-fixing inquiry in 1999.

Malik had filed a petition against life ban in May, but it was rejected by the Lahore High Court.

The Supreme Court is likely to hear Malik's petition in August when it returns from summer holidays.

Source : Ananova

Ed's opinion - If his ban is lifted, it will be a scandal.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
This guy has to be kidding...

He was worse than Hansie....
and they knocked him back...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He's a cheat. No two ways about it. Lift the ban and a lot of people will lose a lot of faith in Cricket.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly right Neil...

And lets go back and remember who was the guy that started the whole thing back when Warney and Junior dobbed him in.....

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats what we say but the **** courts could say differently, and knowing them they will...

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
haha this story just makes me laugh.
Only in Pakistan.
what an stupid comment..

i am not a lover of pakistan. Yeah their handling of the allegations against wasim akram was horrible and smacks of conspiracy.

But it is not like the rest of the world is so clean..

how abt two gentlemen names warne and waugh ? ACTUALLY ACCPETING money for weather forecast (hehe).

how abt chris lewis alleging that there is match fixing in england but the resulting investigation was not given the full treatment.

how abt the so righteous protests that hansie was too clean to be even accused off and the born again christian crap they spewed before he accepted his guilt ?

get over it already...

yorker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Actually its only in Aus that two cheats in Waugh and Warney got away.All that pitch info and Weather forecast was rubbish, cover up by ACB.
Salim have the right to appeal, that a different thing that he will only face dissapointment!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually its only in Aus that two cheats in Waugh and Warney got away.All that pitch info and Weather forecast was rubbish, cover up by ACB.
Proof before such libellous claims? I thought not.

Both were idiots for taking the money, no doubt. But until I see proof otherwise (and I have some friends from my junior rep cricket days who WOULD know), what you saw in the news was what happened. In fact, as I understand it, the only question was in how much money they really took. There were several rumours but nothing substantive came of it.

yorker

There was more to that story then just pitch and weather info, the pitch in subcontinent was flat, the weather was hot, no one is gonna pay u just for that.

There are a no of players that got away coz of lack of evidence, the above mentioned two were among tham!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Proof before such libellous claims? I thought not.

Both were idiots for taking the money, no doubt. But until I see proof otherwise (and I have some friends from my junior rep cricket days who WOULD know), what you saw in the news was what happened. In fact, as I understand it, the only question was in how much money they really took. There were several rumours but nothing substantive came of it.

riiight...what do u need ? video tapes of them takin the money ?

lets see...a indian bookie...two cricketers..get paid for what ? yeah weather forecast. certainly.

And the two innocent cricketers decide some nice christmas money for harmless weather info.

Meanwhile they go to act like malik was a serial rapist while they are absolutely clean.

Meanwhile the self righteous aussie board decides their innocent lil act is not in the best interest and fines the two outstanding gentlemen

Oh and this insignificant act is buried coz..well u can blame them right..two gentlemen who graced cricket cant be blamed..

ANd meanwhile they preach abt cricket, chucking and call malik names.

It takes some one to actually REVEAL it to the world.

Yeah smacks of absolute innocence and the whole world conspires to slur their names...yeah riiight

[Edited on 7/22/02 by scorpio]

Top_Cat

There was more to that story then just pitch and weather info, the pitch in subcontinent was flat, the weather was hot, no one is gonna pay u just for that.
Pure speculation. As I said, for such libellous claims, let's see some proof. If you have none, you'd best keep thy trap firmly SHUT.

There are a no of players that got away coz of lack of evidence, the above mentioned two were among tham!
Yeah that whole innocent until proven guilty thing sure stuffed things up. Why let the evidence get in the way of a good witch-hunt, eh?

yorker

No dear i don't have the proof, the one who had it burried it for ever!

Innnocent warney..LOL

Top_Cat

riiight...what do u need ? video tapes of them takin the money ?
Why, yes or something similar. You require less? Glad you're not a lawyer or a judge.

lets see...a indian bookie...two cricketers..get paid for what ? yeah weather forecast. certainly.

And the two innocent cricketers decide some nice christmas money for harmless weather info.

Meanwhile they go to act like malik was a serial rapist while they are absolutely clean.

Meanwhile the self righteous aussie board decides their innocent lil act is not in the best interest and fines the two outstanding gentlemen

Oh and this insignificant act is buried coz..well u can blame them right..two gentlemen who graced cricket cant be blamed..

ANd meanwhile they preach abt cricket, chucking and call malik names.

It takes some one to actually REVEAL it to the world.

Yeah smacks of absolute innocence and the whole world conspires to slur their names...yeah riiight
Uhhh, who are you blaming for wrong-doing here? The board or the players? Get that straight first.

Yeah they went after Malik in a self-righteous and hypocritical way. No argument/ But the point remains that in the case of Waugh and Warne (which IS what we're talking about here), what they did has been well-documented and verified by the guy who gave them the money. The otherwrong-doings (other than taking the money in the first place, which WAS VERY WRONG) were done by the board who forced a pall of silence over Warne and Waugh so they couldn't comment and undermine the board in the process. I know you guys haven't heard about that but as I said, I've got contacts...........:D

Either way, bring proof or keep quiet until you do. What you're doing is just trying to logically draw a conclusion from a flawed argument. In this case, you cannot have two false antecedents and except a true consequent. The antecedents DO NOT affirm the consequents. So even in logic, the argument dies a painful death.

UNLESS there is proof. So far I personally have not seen any so just like every lawyer in the world and as should be the case, I will make the asumption of innocence until guilt is PROVEN.

[Edited on 7/22/02 by Top_Cat]

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
There are a no of Aussies who didn't believed the whole story.I don't have prof , but that doesn't mean i can't comment on that.Fact is that pitch and Weather info in India is something hard to understand, everyone knew what the pitch and weather was like, no one will offer u money for that.
There was more to the story than that, thats for sure!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
[quote
Uhhh, who are you blaming for wrong-doing here? The board or the players? Get that straight first.

Yeah they went after Malik in a self-righteous and hypocritical way. No argument/ But the point remains that in the case of Waugh and Warne (which IS what we're talking about here), what they did has been well-documented and verified by the guy who gave them the money. The otherwrong-doings (other than taking the money in the first place, which WAS VERY WRONG) were done by the board who forced a pall of silence over Warne and Waugh so they couldn't comment and undermine the board in the process. I know you guys haven't heard about that but as I said, I've got contacts...........:D

Either way, bring proof or keep quiet until you do. What you're doing is just trying to logically draw a conclusion from a flawed argument. In this case, you cannot have two false antecedents and except a true consequent. The antecedents DO NOT affirm the consequents. So even in logic, the argument dies a painful death.

UNLESS there is proof. So far I personally have not seen any so just like every lawyer in the world and as should be the case, I will make the asumption of innocence until guilt is PROVEN.
[/quote]

Nice legal mumbo jumbo there...

Same kinda argument when hansie was caught...ooh our hansie..cant be indians are corrupt ..they just are jealous..he is a true christian...
and then the bubble bursts..

The only luck the two aussie cheats had was that there was no evidence.

Yeah there is a lot of talk abt match fixing in the sub continent. And waht do this two gentlemen do...accept money for a bloody weather forecast.
Well if u are gonna lie atleast come up with some thing beleivable ( THis is aimed at the board and the two morons TC)

I am blamin both those hypocritical morons and the very self righteous aussie board.

I know for a fact that oz is a very sport consicous country and lots of aussie frs i know cleary agree that the two morons were for the take before their board kicked their a-sses ( have to bypass the filter here..heh)

And since u are ready to flaunt ur connections :D ..let me tell u this the bookie was my uncle and he told me that they were ready to throw the match.... :P

I think whatever Waugh and Warney did was GOOD.Malik approached them coz like he said he had information that the Aussies were themselves involved in Match fixing.Had the Aussies been clean, Malik might not have approach them, and as such would probably have been playing cricket till now.

So even if two cheats got away, atleaset a bigger cheat was Caught!