• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards tonight!

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
So Harbhajan is punished because his team wasnt good enough to win the test ? He picked up 4 wickets in the first innings, which is very good . It wasnt his fault if the batsmen capitulated leaving Australia just 48 to get in the last innings. I dont think even Warne could have done anything to stop any batting line-up ( let alone the Aussies ) from getting to 48 .
Who is punishing Harbhajan, Warne took vital wickets in all three tests and Harbhajan didnt. I'm not blaming Harbhajan I'm just telling you how it is.

Deja moo said:
So the critereon for being picked in a world 11 is that the bowler must have dismissed the opposition twice in all tests ? Wonder which bowler would make it then ?
That is a criterion you and only you have made.

Deja moo said:
Please explain why you assume that Warne would have dismissed the opposition twice if he was bowling to the Australian batsmen ?
I never assumed that Warne would have dismissed the Australians I have just stated that he DID dismiss the the Sri Lankans to win the series and thats what influenced the selectors.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
"I don't need more awards ... I already have the world record."
Muttiah Muralitharan takes his exclusion from the ICC's World XI on the chin

Warne plays 2 Tests against India 6-10 October (Banglaore) and 14-18 October (Chennai), and has a chance to take 6 wickets before Murali comes into action possibly in the first Test against Pakistan on 20 th October .

I hope Murali recovers from his surgery and can play in the first Test against Pakistan!! So that he can regain his World Record (just to show up Richie and his mates- who really is the world record holder :p ) !!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great awards night but one thing puzzles me (I'm sure it has been brought up already). Murali is nominated in the top 4 players for Test player of the year, but doesn't make the Test Top XI? It's illogical. It makes no sense, and yes I realise different people judged the XI compared to the nominees, but surely someone would of realised.

I'd also like to add BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Rahul Dravid. Test player of the year and Overall player of the year. Great stuff :cool:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
JASON said:
"I don't need more awards ... I already have the world record."
Muttiah Muralitharan takes his exclusion from the ICC's World XI on the chin

Warne plays 2 Tests against India 6-10 October (Banglaore) and 14-18 October (Chennai), and has a chance to take 6 wickets before Murali comes into action possibly in the first Test against Pakistan on 20 th October .

I hope Murali recovers from his surgery and can play in the first Test against Pakistan!! So that he can regain his World Record (just to show up Richie and his mates- who really is the world record holder :p ) !!
dude, this arguement is bad enough WITHOUT you posting this exact thing on at least two different threads...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Great awards night but one thing puzzles me (I'm sure it has been brought up already). Murali is nominated in the top 4 players for Test player of the year, but doesn't make the Test Top XI? It's illogical. It makes no sense, and yes I realise different people judged the XI compared to the nominees, but surely someone would of realised.

I'd also like to add BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Rahul Dravid. Test player of the year and Overall player of the year. Great stuff :cool:
I agree with you and join you in Congratulating Dravid, a truly great player and richly deserving of both awards.

I don't know about you but to me (because of the stupidity of Richie, Barry , Beefy and co.), most people seem to be spending time discussing the exclusion of Murali over Warne rather than congratulate the guys who got the awards or discuss about the awards.

I guess Richie, Beefy and Barry along with the ICC have ended up converting these inaugural awards and celebration of cricketing achievements into a discussion on double standards, bigotry in cricket and the divisive nature of the cricketing hierarchy and their ways !!

I am basically fed up with this discussion turning into the negatives rather than a discussion on the positives.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
dude, this arguement is bad enough WITHOUT you posting this exact thing on at least two different threads...
Good one - you noticed :p

I posted similar post in both threads, as one was regarding the tour to India, which some may not read.

It was definitely relevant in this thread, as it highlights Murali himself being more interested with his world record haul of wickets more than this selection of World Team, hence the mention of the Test dates. :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nnanden said:
Lol! Calm down.
I'll post in three if its relevant to the topic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Deja moo said:
So the critereon for being picked in a world 11 is that the bowler must have dismissed the opposition twice in all tests ? Wonder which bowler would make it then ?

Laker at a push!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Who is punishing Harbhajan, Warne took vital wickets in all three tests and Harbhajan didnt. I'm not blaming Harbhajan I'm just telling you how it is.

No, you're telling it how you see it from your extremely biased Australian point of view.

There's a huge difference.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr. P said:
I agree that Murali should have been placed ahead of Warne, but I was surprised and to be honest, annoyed that Murali complained about it. He seems almost selfish IMO, I know Warnie wouldn't have made those comments...

Warne gets as much crap if not more then Murali but he still plays cricket, Warne would have bothered to come over to Aussie:@
i agree with this.....i think its time that murali realises how fortunate he is to be playing test match cricket and to hold the record with his bowling action, because its almost certain that there will never be anyone with a remotely similar action playing cricket.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
i agree with this.....i think its time that murali realises how fortunate he is to be playing test match cricket and to hold the record with his bowling action, because its almost certain that there will never be anyone with a remotely similar action playing cricket.
Theres a young pakistani i think who has an identicle action...im sure i saw him playing in this years u19 world cup...im sure someone here knows who im on about and can put a name to them.

telsor

U19 12th Man
I can see 2 reasons Warne got picked over Murali ( apart from bias ).

1. In their head to head encounter, Warne 'won', on Murali's home turf. ( yes, Aus batsmen are probably better, but home ground advantage makes it balanced enough for a comparison ).

2. Murali spent the entire period bowling a delivery which was later proved to be illegal. Apart from the wickets taken with it, others would have been taken while batsmen were looking out for it, etc. We'll never know what effect that had.

I'm not saying the selectors chose correctly ( or not ), just that they did have legitimate reasons to consider Warne better.

In the end, like all these choices the selectors made, it's a judgement call.

Personally, with these and Warne only playing half a season, I'd have been looking closely for a third option...of course, that would have upset everyone :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
telsor said:
I can see 2 reasons Warne got picked over Murali ( apart from bias ).

1. In their head to head encounter, Warne 'won', on Murali's home turf. ( yes, Aus batsmen are probably better, but home ground advantage makes it balanced enough for a comparison ).

2. Murali spent the entire period bowling a delivery which was later proved to be illegal. Apart from the wickets taken with it, others would have been taken while batsmen were looking out for it, etc. We'll never know what effect that had.

I'm not saying the selectors chose correctly ( or not ), just that they did have legitimate reasons to consider Warne better.

In the end, like all these choices the selectors made, it's a judgement call.

Personally, with these and Warne only playing half a season, I'd have been looking closely for a third option...of course, that would have upset everyone :)
Gilo! Gilo!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So long as his action is legal, then there is no problem from a Cricket point of view.

The number of problems that will be caused could be done without though, I'd agree there.