• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting...

Craig

World Traveller
Certainly helps by having so many fine players in his squads for both forms of the game.

Nice banners you make.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still a far, far better batsman than skipper ATM for mine.
More of a Bradman to Stephen Waugh's Woodfull.

SafirXP

Cricket Spectator
i agree with Richard! his ON side shots look amazing... but i dunno.. with his technique, he does look like a batsman you CAN get out! anyways, i think he's got the best pull shot in world cricket. i also love the way Gilchrist does it!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Awesome banner mate:D Well done. Would use it if not for the fact that images can't be had in sigs:(

As for Pontings captaincy, well, I still reckon it's underated, but im not getting into a full blown argument over it.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Stephen Flemming beats him in being a better skipper.. atleast Punter has the vast amount of talent to work with..

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
lord_of_darkness said:
Stephen Flemming beats him in being a better skipper.. atleast Punter has the vast amount of talent to work with..
You still have to do the right things as captain though, Pakistan have a vast amount of talent to work with and..............

Mr. P

I fail to see the logic in everyones posting on captaincy here...Ponting has a good team so he is automatically either not good or not as good as others:@

That kind of thinking is not only naive, but also kinda dumb...(No offence:p)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Pakistan have a vast amount of talent to work with and..............
So do India .. look at whats happening..

Im just saying that Flemming doesnt have the greatest talent to work with.. and thats why everyone notices the key instances to our many victories in the game which was due to his captaincy mainly..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. P said:
I fail to see the logic in everyones posting on captaincy here...Ponting has a good team so he is automatically either not good or not as good as others:@

Nobodies saying that, but the fact his team is so much better than the rest, there's no indication of how good he is.

Now, if you were to (hypothetically) switch him and Fleming - would he do so well with the Kiwis?

I perosnally doubt it.

masterblaster

International Captain
I reckon he would. I wasn't a big fan of Pontings in the past, but over the years he has won my admiration. Ponting has matured remarkably as a person and as a player, he leads from the front and always supports his players even when the going gets tough.

New Zealand have a talented side, and a talented bowling side (with Bond fully fit ofcourse), and with his strategies and experience and his general aggression, I'm sure if Ponting was a New Zealander he'd take them up to atleast the Number 3 or even the Number 2 Spot in the World.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
Nobodies saying that, but the fact his team is so much better than the rest, there's no indication of how good he is.

Now, if you were to (hypothetically) switch him and Fleming - would he do so well with the Kiwis?

I perosnally doubt it.
How can you say with any authority that Ponting would not do as well as Fleming with the same squad. If Fleming is a better captain than Ponting you are saying if Fleming was the Aus captain he would lead the team better than Ponting and I personally doubt that.

Furthermore Ponting has been named captain of the World XI.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, he's captain of the World XI, but I would like to point out that there is only Lara who's also done that job in the XI, and he's never really looked a good captain.

If Fleming were in that side, he'd be the skipper.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, well done.

We all know Ricky Ponting is a better batsman than Stepen Fleming, and nobody has EVER claimed otherwise.

Mr. P

Marc if that is how you are going to post you have no idea. You CAN see how good he is as a captain. Look at the tactical side, and personally I reckon Pontings tactics are among the very best!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. P said:
Marc if that is how you are going to post you have no idea.

So you don't think Ponting's a better batsman then?

If his batting were good enough to get him in that team, he would without a doubt be skipper.