• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting...

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Part of a captains job is to perform on the track, its probably the most important part of the job and thats where Vaughan fails as a CAPTAIN.
The captain has to lead the team on the field.

Teams playing England have a 3-4 over headstart because of Vaughans slow batting. That is what you call hopeless for a captain.
vaughans captaincy has never been hopeless, and performing on the field is not the most important part of captaincy, getting all your players to play as a team is. and that was emphasized by englands golden run under hussain between 00-01.

Scallywag

Banned
Vaughan is hopeless and England would be wise to replace him with someone who can bat.

Ponting has proven time and time again he is the best, the very best captain in cricket.

I'm quite happy for Vaughan to lead England should they meet Australia in the cup.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
vaughans captaincy has never been hopeless, and performing on the field is not the most important part of captaincy, getting all your players to play as a team is. and that was emphasized by englands golden run under hussain between 00-01.
hussain is the same guy though who got the Ashes off to such a bad start last time in Oz by winning the toss on a good Gabba batting strip and bowling - a monumental error. I know this is possibly just a one off, but I note England's golden run lasted a year at most!? If he did such a good job of pulling the players together, what happened after that?

Son Of Coco

marc71178 said:
Yes, but he hasn't transformed the team, because it was good in the first place.

9 of the last 10 Tests have been won, the one that was drawn would've needed about 8 or 9 days to get a result.

On that basis, I'd have to say no.

I didn't dodge it, just took it in context of captaincy rather than battng.

No, there are other duties (as well as being an ambassador for the game, and not getting into drunken brawls outside nightclubs)

However if we are talking pure captaincy then it is all about field placings, bowling changes and tactical approach...
If that's the argument though (transforming the team) then you could argue that Vaughan hasn't done so either. He's been handed better quality players to work with, and these guys have worked with the Academy both in Australia and in England. There's a better structure in place now for bringing players through the ranks - this has nothing to do with Vaughan.

tooextracool

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
hussain is the same guy though who got the Ashes off to such a bad start last time in Oz by winning the toss on a good Gabba batting strip and bowling - a monumental error. I know this is possibly just a one off, but I note England's golden run lasted a year at most!? If he did such a good job of pulling the players together, what happened after that?
it was one error, and personally its all b/s about how that decision cost us that match or even that series....... hussain simply had no resources, half the team was out injured.
i never denied that the golden run didnt last very long, in fact i mentioned how long it lasted, but the point i was making was that hussain was in the worst form of his life during that period, and the team was still doing extremely well because for once in over a decade they played as a team.

tooextracool

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
If that's the argument though (transforming the team) then you could argue that Vaughan hasn't done so either. He's been handed better quality players to work with, and these guys have worked with the Academy both in Australia and in England. There's a better structure in place now for bringing players through the ranks - this has nothing to do with Vaughan.
no that was the work of the hussain-fletcher partnership, what vaughan has done is that hes been intelligent in his decision making,strategies and field placings.....something which is just about as crucial as a captain.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Vaughan is hopeless and England would be wise to replace him with someone who can bat
that test average of 45 doesnt suggest to me that it is the average of someones who cant bat.....

Scallywag said:
Ponting has proven time and time again he is the best, the very best captain in cricket.
the word 'proven' is misused in this situation....theres no way you can prove to me that ponting is better than fleming.

Son Of Coco

tooextracool said:
no that was the work of the hussain-fletcher partnership, what vaughan has done is that hes been intelligent in his decision making,strategies and field placings.....something which is just about as crucial as a captain.
ahhh, I think you'll find the establishment of the Academies had a lot to do with it. What did Hussain do wrong then if this was established when he was Captain? Was it just mismanagement of good players?

Son Of Coco

tooextracool said:
it was one error, and personally its all b/s about how that decision cost us that match or even that series....... hussain simply had no resources, half the team was out injured.
i never denied that the golden run didnt last very long, in fact i mentioned how long it lasted, but the point i was making was that hussain was in the worst form of his life during that period, and the team was still doing extremely well because for once in over a decade they played as a team.
well, personally I think batting first would have seen you off to a far better start! at 2/300 odd at the end of the first day I think it's fair to say it put you behind the 8-ball from the word go. Half the team out injured? It's a nice excuse

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Vaughan is hopeless and England would be wise to replace him with someone who can bat.

I'm quite happy for Vaughan to lead England should they meet Australia in the cup.
Yes, which is why he recently scored 2 hundreds in a Test.

Your point is a very silly one, Amits.

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
that test average of 45 doesnt suggest to me that it is the average of someones who cant bat...

the word 'proven' is misused in this situation....theres no way you can prove to me that ponting is better than fleming.
dont have to,but I'll let you explain why Ponting was selected as the captain of the world XI, and then explain why Fleming didnt even get selected.

Ponting has been made the CAPTAIN of the world XI because he is the best man available to lead them.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Scallywag said:
dont have to,but I'll let you explain why Ponting was selected as the captain of the world XI, and then explain why Fleming didnt even get selected.

Ponting has been made the CAPTAIN of the world XI because he is the best man available to lead them.
Which nicely evades the issue.

Ever read the Art of Captaincy?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:

That is an obvious one - as a batsman Fleming doesn't justify selection, Ponting does,

If you look at the side selected, there's no-one else there who's a realistic captain, so it's obvious why Ponting was named.

Thus it makes him the best captain out of those 11 players, not the best captain in the World.

Had Fleming been selected, he'd be leading the side.

Scallywag

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Which nicely evades the issue.

Ever read the Art of Captaincy?
Neil you have nothing of value to offer this thread except for trying to make racial statements and sling mud, go read what you wrote about trolls.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
That is an obvious one - as a batsman Fleming doesn't justify selection, Ponting does,

If you look at the side selected, there's no-one else there who's a realistic captain, so it's obvious why Ponting was named.

Thus it makes him the best captain out of those 11 players, not the best captain in the World.

Had Fleming been selected, he'd be leading the side.
But if he was the worlds best captain the would have selected him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, because that team was selected on performances first, and a captain selected from that 11 selected - Fleming is not the best batsman in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but if he were batting well enough to make the 11, he'd skipper it.

Zeke

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
marc71178 said:
No, because that team was selected on performances first, and a captain selected from that 11 selected - Fleming is not the best batsman in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but if he were batting well enough to make the 11, he'd skipper it.
What is Fleming's winning test %?

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
So the captain dosent make that much of a difference then when it comes to team performance.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:

and how many times must it be said? there isnt much doubt over whether ponting is a better batsmen than fleming, and that is the primary neccessity for anybody to get into that side.