• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
I guess your the one with rose tinted glasses Marc71178
Afraid not - look at his recent captaincy (as he's moved into the role)

Then say he's useless.

Scallywag said:
And Neil if Vaughan was born in Australia he would never get a game even in State cricket, hes just not good enough.
And you reckon that you don't spout rubbish?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
No other player could lead the Australian team like Ponting does.
Which is why the record prior to him taking over was so bad wasn't it?!

Even that record run of consecutive Test wins...

Scallywag said:
And one more point to ponder: If the English selectors had the choice of Ponting or Vaughan to be captain of their side who do you think they would select.
Purely as captain, Vaughan has had a superb effect (Or is his recent record compared to the form displayed prior to his appointment irrelevant?)

Remember this is as captain, and nothing else.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
Afraid not - look at his recent captaincy (as he's moved into the role)

Then say he's useless.
OK I had a look and he's useless, 24 with the bat @ 65runs/1ooballs.

marc71178 said:
And you reckon that you don't spout rubbish?
The captains performance on the field is where he inspires the team and leads from the front.

Rubbish is when you argue that the skills of a captain dont effect his overall performance.

Face it mate Vaughan is a hopeless captain and the English ODI team is hamstrung in the batting department.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:

Even that record run of consecutive Test wins....
Ponting has carried on after being groomed for the job and has as you pointed out continued the excellent record Australia has.

marc71178 said:
Purely as captain, Vaughan has had a superb effect (Or is his recent record compared to the form displayed prior to his appointment irrelevant?)

Remember this is as captain, and nothing else.
And what effect do you think it would have on the English team if Ponting was the captain, do you think they would win more matches.

I see you dodged answering what the England selectors given the choice of Ponting or Vaughan for captain who they would select.

But in all honesty I think you will continue to think that making bowling changes and placing the field is the only responibilities of the captain.

Scallywag

Banned
Swervy said:
that is utter B0LL0X
I'll use this quote to describe his batting

"its something he needs to sort out, but he is a class player and i would say IF he sorts this mental thing out (and it can only be a mental thing),he should succeed...of course that is a big IF"

and that was written by you, are you saying the captain of England has a mental problem with his batting and its a big IF that he will succeed. You just dont know how funny this is.

Swervy

International Captain
Scallywag said:
I'll use this quote to describe his batting

"its something he needs to sort out, but he is a class player and i would say IF he sorts this mental thing out (and it can only be a mental thing),he should succeed...of course that is a big IF"

and that was written by you, are you saying the captain of England has a mental problem with his batting and its a big IF that he will succeed. You just dont know how funny this is.

but you were talking about his captaincy!!!! And I am of the opinion that he is a very good captain (but you said 'Face it mate Vaughan is a hopeless captain'...and that is what I said was utter B0ll0x)

Scallywag

Banned
Swervy said:
but you were talking about his captaincy!!!! And I am of the opinion that he is a very good captain (but you said 'Face it mate Vaughan is a hopeless captain'...and that is what I said was utter B0ll0x)
Part of a captains job is to perform on the track, its probably the most important part of the job and thats where Vaughan fails as a CAPTAIN.
The captain has to lead the team on the field.

Teams playing England have a 3-4 over headstart because of Vaughans slow batting. That is what you call hopeless for a captain.

Swervy

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Part of a captains job is to perform on the track, its probably the most important part of the job and thats where Vaughan fails as a CAPTAIN.
The captain has to lead the team on the field.

Teams playing England have a 3-4 over headstart because of Vaughans slow batting. That is what you call hopeless for a captain.
you obviously look at different qualities in captains than I do

Scallywag

Banned
Swervy said:
you obviously look at different qualities in captains than I do

I dont think I'm the only one that thinks a captain should be able to hold his own in the team. In fact thats the only reason other than retirement that captains get the sack. Poor performance on the track is a sure way for a captain to get sacked so it must be a very important part of the job.

So you tell me if Ponting was to replace Vaughan in the England team as captain do you think they would win more games. Thats what the captains job is, to win games.

Swervy

International Captain
Scallywag said:
I dont think I'm the only one that thinks a captain should be able to hold his own in the team. In fact thats the only reason other than retirement that captains get the sack. Poor performance on the track is a sure way for a captain to get sacked so it must be a very important part of the job.

So you tell me if Ponting was to replace Vaughan in the England team as captain do you think they would win more games. Thats what the captains job is, to win games.

if only the game was that black and white :D

Scallywag

Banned
Why Ricky Ponting is rated so highly as a captain even by the hard-boiled Ian Chappell was evident in the post-match briefing after Sri Lanka had been decimated in the first semi-final.

Ponting arrived with Andrew Symonds by his side, wearing his peak cap at a tilt and a broad smile that stretched from ear to ear. "Did you expect to win after scoring only 212 runs,'' was the first salvo fired at him. "It was a threshold score,'' he said, "but we have players whose ability I trust when the chips are down.''

That brought a huge smile on Symonds' face too. Belief in the talent of his players and the capacity to support them even when the going was rough made Ian Chappell one of Australia 's most influential captains. Some of his team-mates still refer to him as 'skipper', which in the cynical world of former international cricketers is a huge accolade.

Ponting seems cast in the same mould - an aggressive batsman and thinker, a no-nonsense talker, and a players' captain - all this without sacrificing his individuality.

To have reached the final of the World Cup without Shane Warne and Jason Gillespie - two matchwinners - is a measure of not only the depth of Australian cricket, but also Ponting's self-confidence and his ability to drive his players to success.

Like Chappell, Ponting feels and plays cricket from the gut, and his hunches have paid off marvelously. Symonds, for instance, was a marginal selection. "There were other names discussed,'' said Ponting at the briefing, "But I have seen in domestic cricket what this man could do. You have got to give such players the confidence.''

Perhaps Ponting's bigger success has been Brett Lee, who was not always an automatic choice for the one-day squad under Steve Waugh, certainly not the man for the new ball, and whenever he played was asked to cut down on speed for greater control.

But Ponting, in what could be his most decisive attempt to emerge from Waugh's shadow, has given Lee the new ball and asked him to bowl as quick as he can. The results have been dramatic for his team, and traumatic for the opponents.

More than Shane Bond, and much, more than Shoaib Akhtar, Lee has been the most dangerous fast bowler in the World Cup.

For his hard work, Ponting has rewarded him with attacking fields - for a few overs against Sri Lanka he bowled with two slips, gully, short mid-wicket, silly point, shortish cover and short mid-wicket - and an understanding pat on the back if he has been hit for runs, or has had a catch dropped off his bowling.

That reflects belief not only in the player, but also in himself and his tactics. In many ways, that shows why Australia have been so successful in this tournament. uuuuu Aravinda de Silva's farewell innings in international cricket ended in dismay

Swervy

International Captain
hey I agree, ponting looks like a fine captain to me.

but Pontings performances have dipped in tests since he has been skipper...when is he considered a liabilty to the team (even though Australia are still winning)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swervy said:
hey I agree, ponting looks like a fine captain to me.

but Pontings performances have dipped in tests since he has been skipper...when is he considered a liabilty to the team (even though Australia are still winning)
?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Ponting has carried on after being groomed for the job and has as you pointed out continued the excellent record Australia has.
Yes, but he hasn't transformed the team, because it was good in the first place.

Scallywag said:
And what effect do you think it would have on the English team if Ponting was the captain, do you think they would win more matches.
9 of the last 10 Tests have been won, the one that was drawn would've needed about 8 or 9 days to get a result.

On that basis, I'd have to say no.

Scallywag said:
I see you dodged answering what the England selectors given the choice of Ponting or Vaughan for captain who they would select.
I didn't dodge it, just took it in context of captaincy rather than battng.

Scallywag said:
But in all honesty I think you will continue to think that making bowling changes and placing the field is the only responibilities of the captain.
No, there are other duties (as well as being an ambassador for the game, and not getting into drunken brawls outside nightclubs)

However if we are talking pure captaincy then it is all about field placings, bowling changes and tactical approach...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Ponting arrived with Andrew Symonds by his side, wearing his peak cap at a tilt and a broad smile that stretched from ear to ear. "Did you expect to win after scoring only 212 runs,'' was the first salvo fired at him. "It was a threshold score,'' he said, "but we have players whose ability I trust when the chips are down.''
That quote sums it up to a tee - they have the players with ability to win seemgingly lost games - that says absolutely nothing about his captaincy (apart from the diplomacy he shows in interviews)

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
it must be said that before ponting took over the ODI captaincy ausrtralia failed to reach the vb series finals for the first time in a long while....credit where its due ponting has done a very good job thus far.