• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time to drop Shoaib Akhtar?

pakster

U19 12th Man
I know he, like all bowlers have their ups and downs, but it seems as if though shoaib doesnt even care anymore.
His figures for yesterday's match against Aus (which btw, I cant find an analysis thread for...WHY?) were a shocking 8 0 70 1!! This from our main strike bowler!!....Pathetic!

He was running in like a 3 legged donkey and bowling at very mediocre pace by his standards, and seeing as pace is his ONLY weapon, there aint much point in having him in the team if he's bowling in the late 80's!

Its time for him to quit international cricket and persue a career in bollywood, coz thats where primadonas like him belong!

On a side note...we have got to do something about our fielding, symonds was dropped in whilst on 26 and then again on 68!!

pakster - in angry mode!

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Sehwag309 said:
I didn't have the chance to see yesterday;s match, is it still short run-ups?
He started doing short run ups in the last few overs when he was getting cained.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Shoaib Akhtar should be dropped - though this bad game was very, very, very bad, it has already been said that he got 10-40-3 in the last game.
At one point on Saturday he had 3-10-0.
Though his inconsistency is infuriating, sadly I don't think he's quite good enough to get 10-29-3 5 out of 6 games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, all right, not that often, but good figures in 5 out of 6 (ie 10-29-1) - the sort of consistency McGrath and Pollock achieve.
And that Gillespie almost matches.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Mohammad Sami, probably. 8-)
doesn't he usually play alongside Akhtar though?

What I meant was, do Pakistan have any other seamers, apart from Sami and Umar Gul, who could play international cricket if they dropped Shoaib?

Waughney

International Debutant
I seriously doubt anyone in their right mind would drop Akhtar. He can come up with some great figures. The Pakistani selectors need to stick to their guns, a bit like the Aussie selectors with Brett Lee, one day he'll get 0/60 from 8 and then he'll pick up 4/24 off 8.

Behlol

U19 Vice-Captain
I think he should be dropped.Shabbir Ahmed and M.Sami should be the strike bowlers.
Umer Gul should be brought in instead of Shoaib Akhter

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
doesn't he usually play alongside Akhtar though?

What I meant was, do Pakistan have any other seamers, apart from Sami and Umar Gul, who could play international cricket if they dropped Shoaib?
Shabbir Ahmed is a better bowler than both, by a considerable distance, IMO.
And I'd presently say it's less likely than more that Gul will play again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
lord_of_darkness said:
Yasir Arafat
???????????
Where on Earth did that one come from, Reuben?
Yasir Arafat, play for Pakistan? (again)
I mean, he might occasionally play well for Scotland in the National League, but I'd expect someone who's hoping to play ODIs with success would dominate the English domestic scene with a passion.