• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time to drop Shoaib Akhtar?

Yasir_194

Cricket Spectator
rao iftikhar anjum....new glenn mcgrath....shoaibs priorities r split between taking wickets and taking care of his hair!

open365

International Vice-Captain
he should be dropped,but the pakistan selectors are scared of doing it because of the criticism theyle get

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's also the Palestinian leader, but it goes without saying they're different people!
Don't look very alike, either!

Sudeep

International Captain
Yasir_194 said:
rao iftikhar anjum....new glenn mcgrath....shoaibs priorities r split between taking wickets and taking care of his hair!
New Glenn McGrath? Maybe you'd provide some background for the bowler you're comparing with an all-time great...

pakster

U19 12th Man
Personally, for the time being at least, i would replace shoiab with azhar.
Decent bowler, can hold a bat and has experience in English conditions - he can be a stop gap till shabbir/gul get back from injury.

My Pak team:

Hameed
Farhat
Afridi
Malik
yoyo
Inzi
Razzaq
Moin
Azhar
Rana-Naveed
Sami

Strong batting lineup and 6 good odi bowlers.

What d'yall think?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sudeep said:
New Glenn McGrath? Maybe you'd provide some background for the bowler you're comparing with an all-time great...
Sounds very much like the Aavishkar Salvi hype we were subjected to recently...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
pakster said:
Decent bowler, can hold a bat and has experience in English conditions - he can be a stop gap till shabbir/gul get back from injury.

My Pak team:

Hameed
Farhat
Afridi
Malik
yoyo
Inzi
Razzaq
Moin
Azhar
Rana-Naveed
Sami

What d'yall think?
Personally, I'd bring back the evergreen Wasim Akram

Yasir_194

Cricket Spectator
im comparing rao iftikhar to glenn in that they are very much the same style of bowler...which cant be bad...to compare some1 who has not yet played international cricket with that of "an all time great" would be foolish.

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rao Iftikhar is nothing like mcgrath.

Very energetic runup and high arm action but bowls in the low 90s. Swings it both ways. Gets alot of bounce cause of his height.

Has taken 250 wickets at 23 in the league and the only bowler to take 5 consecutive 10 wicket hauls in the league.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Muddaser said:
Rao Iftikhar is nothing like mcgrath.

Very energetic runup and high arm action but bowls in the low 90s. Swings it both ways. Gets alot of bounce cause of his height.

Has taken 250 wickets at 23 in the league and the only bowler to take 5 consecutive 10 wicket hauls in the league.
all he needs now is a real name and BANG, hes big-time

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
???????????
Where on Earth did that one come from, Reuben?
Yasir Arafat, play for Pakistan? (again)
I mean, he might occasionally play well for Scotland in the National League, but I'd expect someone who's hoping to play ODIs with success would dominate the English domestic scene with a passion
lol he just asked for a list of other bowlers and i came up with the names of fast/med bowlers who have played for Pak and still could..

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:
Isn't he some politician-type-person-thing?
He the Palestine leader and ex-leader of the PLO.

Yasir Arafat the cricketer has played only a handfull of ODIs for Pakistan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
pakster said:

My Pak team:

Hameed
Farhat
Afridi
Malik
yoyo
Inzi
Razzaq
Moin
Azhar
Rana-Naveed
Sami

What d'yall think?
Inzamam-Ul-Haq at six? You gone mad?
What's Afridi done to deserve playing of late?
Indeed, what's Farhat done apart from those New Zealand games? I'm still not at all convinced about him.
As for Azhar Mahmood, please. How many times has he been shown-up as substandard in ODIs? Time and again.
Personally I'd go for something like this ATM:
Malik
Hameed
Elahi
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Youhana
Moin Khan
Razzaq (as a batsman, not a bowler)
Saqlain (if he recovers)
Kaneria \ Mushtaq
Shoaib
Shabbir
You've got Razzaq and Malik to fill in on normal wickets, Malik can bowl all 10 on spin-friendly wickets.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Every new bowler coming out of India or Pakistan seems to be called the next McGrath...Salvi, Rao, Munaf Patel.
Comparing youth players to former/current greats is a disaster waiting to happen. The pressure becomes too great for the player & he'll never achieve what he's capable of.

Yasir_194

Cricket Spectator
if a young player feels pressure from the likes of me making comparisons then i dont think they shuold be playing cricket in the 1st place

FRAZ

International Captain
Tim said:
Every new bowler coming out of India or Pakistan seems to be called the next McGrath...Salvi, Rao, Munaf Patel.
Comparing youth players to former/current greats is a disaster waiting to happen. The pressure becomes too great for the player & he'll never achieve what he's capable of.
You are absolutely right but there is one problem . Salvi , Rao , Munaf Patel are quite Indian names .
And mind you every young bowler who comes from Pakistan has qualities to become Mcgrath . Wasim ,Waqar were i guess in the same class as of Mcgrath .
I am also sick and tired of hearing that Munaf , Salvi and Rao are next Mcgrath . I hope they become but watching limited qualities and expressing big is'nt a wise thing .
There were Moh Akram and M Zahid from Pak . Zahid has bowled in excess of 155 with great accuracy and Akram was a county player but could'nt find a proper spot in the team .
There is a bowler Abdul Raoof and he has bowled even faster than Sami in the nets and he is still struggling to find a spot in the Pakistani side .
Tim I guess you are mixing this salvi , Rao and Munaf pat thing with the Pakistani team .
There are bunch of young speedsters who are still struggling in Pakistan to find a spot in the team as a spped machine cuz the compitition is immense among the speedsters there .
I know the line and length is very important but atleast a bowler should have some sort of pace for respectability . Line and length comes through experience. So please check the record sites and make sure where these Salvi , Munaf , and Rao thing belong to ................

FRAZ

International Captain
Let me add one more thing that after Windies in 80's . Pakistan is the only country to have produced real pacemen . Wasim , Waqar , Wasim Jaffer , Shoaib , Sami , Zahid , Akram , Aamir Nazir , etc etc etc . And lets see The record of Abdul Razzaq and Azhar Mehmood , they are among the best . And they have the capabilities to even become the front lin bowlers in most of the teams but still they are considard as middle class pakistani Bowlers .
Once again I am also sick and tired of hearing that Munaf Patel , Salvi and th Rao things are mcgrath with out even playing international cricket ....
I think you ll edit your post about claiming Rao , Salvi and Munaf are Pakistani bowlers ...