• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Haddin

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr. P and Mister Wright, do you not understand that I am speaking of recent form, not overall.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
But not that you put MacGill ahead of Kumble?
8-) Alright then. I agree with you. Comments like that are just impossible to come back to. Well done. :dry:

:mellow:

Mr. P

Waughney said:
Mr. P and Mister Wright, do you not understand that I am speaking of recent form, not overall.
I understand that and I have replied!

Also, is Kumble on recent form? Obviously not. Why do you put Anil above Stuart?

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr. P said:
So? That's exactly my point. The fact that SRT is an all time legend is completely irrelevant.
No, I don't see any point, sorry.
Mr. P said:
Can't MacGill have proven himself clearly better then Giles too?
Recent form!!!
Mr. P said:
So maybe in the past 7 matches Giles has been better but you ain't always great. IMO MacGill is the better bowler and a measly 7 seven matches proves nothing. Either you say SRT is not close to top of the world or you agree with me. Your choice.:)
7 matches is a fair few games and a players form can easily judged from it. You tell me that Tendulkar being great is irrelevant, yet later in your post you, yourself, do it. :wacko: 8-) I think you're missing the point, the stats are undeniable, Giles is currently better than MacGill (let me again remind you that this does not neccesarily mean overall)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Waughney said:

Well, Giles didn't bowl to India, and MacGill didn't get to bowl to the West Indies, so you really cannot compare it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
With MacGill's "form" you cannot talk about anyone else being worse.

In SL - 5 @ 46.40
Vs Ind - 14 @ 50.78
Vs Zim - 2 @ 32.00
Vs Ban - 17 @ 12.88
Vs WI - 20 @ 33.90
Vs Eng - 12 @ 40.50

That is poor, and far from the 3rd best in the World.

Dasa

Mr. P said:
I understand that and I have replied!

Also, is Kumble on recent form? Obviously not. Why do you put Anil above Stuart?
Even on recent form, Kumble has been much better than MacGill.
Kumble's last 2 series' -
against Australia in Australia: 24 wickets at 29.58 (3x 5w, 1x10w, best 8/141)
against Pakistan in Pakistan: 15 wickets at 25.93 (1x 5w, best 6/72)

compare it to MacGill:
against India in Australia: 14 wickets at 50.79 (best 4/86)
against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka: 5 wickets at 46.40 (best 4/74)

I cannot fathom how anyone can place MacGill above Kumble. He, IMO, holds the position of no.3 spinner in the world as his own, with only Murali and Warne ahead of him.

Mr. P

Waughney said:
No, I don't see any point, sorry.

Recent form!!!

7 matches is a fair few games and a players form can easily judged from it. You tell me that Tendulkar being great is irrelevant, yet later in your post you, yourself, do it. :wacko: 8-) I think you're missing the point, the stats are undeniable, Giles is currently better than MacGill (let me again remind you that this does not neccesarily mean overall)
I don't think I can answer this because you have misunderstood my entire argument. (Not your fault:)) Im not going to bother with this anymore. (And not because im conceding defeat either;))

Steulen

International Regular
Seven matches is just two series. In MacGill's case, India at home and Sri Lanka away, as he didn't play in the last series against Sri Lanka at home. MacGill had a dreadful series vs. India, and a merely below-par one in Sri Lanka. If you take these two series to prove MacGill is worse than Giles, then d'oh!

MacGill was top wicket taker in 2003; less than a year ago he could therefore be considered the best spinner around. Post your ARE YOU MAD MURALI OMG rants here :)

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr. P said:
I don't think I can answer this because you have misunderstood my entire argument. (Not your fault:)) Im not going to bother with this anymore. (And not because im conceding defeat either;))
I understand your arguement, but it was irrelevant as I was talking of recent form and then you went off talking about who is the best player overall. It's your desicion to stop, and it's fine by me.

Waughney

International Debutant
Steulen said:
Seven matches is just two series. In MacGill's case, India at home and Sri Lanka away, as he didn't play in the last series against Sri Lanka at home. MacGill had a dreadful series vs. India, and a merely below-par one in Sri Lanka. If you take these two series to prove MacGill is worse than Giles, then d'oh!

MacGill was top wicket taker in 2003; less than a year ago he could therefore be considered the best spinner around. Post your ARE YOU MAD MURALI OMG rants here :)
Look mate, I was talking about which bowler was better on recent form (i.e. this year) To make it clear I do think overall MacGill is better than Giles, but currently Giles is better.

Mr. P

Waughney said:
I understand your arguement, but it was irrelevant as I was talking of recent form and then you went off talking about who is the best player overall. It's your desicion to stop, and it's fine by me.
Haha you still don't get it. For a good part I wasn't just talking of overall, I think I may have just worded what I meant very badly:( :mellow:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steulen said:

Wrong, MacGill was not top Test-wicket-taker in 2003, Ntini was. MacGill was 2nd. And that owed a lot to the Bangladesh matches - get rid of them and he wasn't anywhere near so impressive.
Anyhow, this proves nothing. A bowler who took 40 wickets at 36.7 (as MacGill did when you exclude Bangladesh matches) is not much of a bowler. It is average, not weight of wickets, that says how good a bowler is. No-one without serious idiocy would consider MacGill the best spinner in The World.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
Maybe you are speaking of recent form.
You don't need to, however.
The fact is, MacGill has played 10 series against opposition of Test quality (he's also played 3 Tests against substandard opposition, two of which deflate his average enormously, one of which doesn't).
Two of these "series" in fact constitute a single game. In those two games, both agaisnt South Africa, his average is 25.67. I am wholly confident it would be much higher had South Africa had the chance to come back at him in a following game.
In the remaining 8 series, he averaged over 30 (the yardstick of a poor bowler) in 5 of them. In one, he averaged 29.33, not much better.
So basically, we have it that in an 8-series career, MacGill has done well in two of those series. Both were in 1998\99. One, I might add, was against the England team who were renowned as brilliant players of spin in those days (note the sarcasm).
So we have it that, since The Ashes 1998\99, in 21 Test-matches, MacGill has an average of 36.44.
That is nearly 6 years of a very, very mediocre average.
And people claim this guy is Test-class.
Some people even claim he's the third-best spinner in The World.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Maybe you are speaking of recent form.
You don't need to, however.
The fact is, MacGill has played 10 series against opposition of Test quality (he's also played 3 Tests against substandard opposition, two of which deflate his average enormously, one of which doesn't).
Two of these "series" in fact constitute a single game. In those two games, both agaisnt South Africa, his average is 25.67. I am wholly confident it would be much higher had South Africa had the chance to come back at him in a following game.
In the remaining 8 series, he averaged over 30 (the yardstick of a poor bowler) in 5 of them. In one, he averaged 29.33, not much better.
So basically, we have it that in an 8-series career, MacGill has done well in two of those series. Both were in 1998\99. One, I might add, was against the England team who were renowned as brilliant players of spin in those days (note the sarcasm).
So we have it that, since The Ashes 1998\99, in 21 Test-matches, MacGill has an average of 36.44.
That is nearly 6 years of a very, very mediocre average.
And people claim this guy is Test-class.
Some people even claim he's the third-best spinner in The World.
And some people over-analyse.

What is he supposed to do, not turn up & bowl just because you don't consider the opposition worthy enough.

Remember this is a bowler that was selected ahead of Warne in test. Also, remember that this is a bowler who has never, unlike Giles, had the luxury of knowing his spot in the team is not under pressure no-matter how well he performs. MacGill has always been in a lose-lose situation, he performs extrodinarily, he gets replaced by Warne, he performs poorly he gets replaced by Warne.

Just think how much pressure you'd be under if you knew, no matter how insightful your posts were you wouldn't be able to post anymore on cricketweb because some other bloke was considerded better than you, I'm sure you'd feel the pressure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I just wouldn't bother posting in the first place.
Because I wouldn't gain anything by posting. MacGill, on the other hand, would gain something by playing and bowling well. He'd get people thinking he's "unlucky" because Warne has been picked ahead of him. He'd also get a good Test-bowling-record.
However, when Bangladesh matches are removed he doesn't have a good record - he averages over 30.
And incidentally, if he were to perform well enough he'd replace any seamer; two Test-class wristspinners in the side is a formidable prospect.
And knowing Australia's selectors like we do, if MacGill had averaged 20 against India he'd have been the first spinner on the sheet in Sri Lanka.
Because once people get their names on the sheet, they don't often get dropped just because someone who might be better is coming back.
And surely you cannot possibly be suggesting that MacGill's success against Bangladesh, whether or not he would be faulted for refusing to achieve it, means anything?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. P said:
Im not going to bother with this anymore. (And not because im conceding defeat either;))

Well you're not going to win any argument based on the pure facts.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Steulen said:

So 5 wickets at 46.40 (in the most spin friendly conditions in the World) is a merely below-par series?!

I hate to think what a shocker would be?