• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Haddin

Andre

International Regular
Mr. P said:
I was surprised slightly to see that Gilly is nearly 33. He will most likely retire 3-4 years from now, so I guess in that time we will have to really start bringing up good keepers.

Australia really are aging. They're all going to retire a 2-3 year clump. Warne, McGrath, Martyn, Maher, MacGill, Love, Lehmann, Langer, Kasprowic, Hogg, Harvey, Hayden, Elliot, Gilchrist are all 30+.:(
I imagine that MacGill, Love, Hogg, Maher, Harvey and Elliott will gradually be weeded out of the side to stem the flow, with Martyn and Langer possibly in the same boat.

Kasprowicz is probably at the fittest and strongest stage of his career so I think he has a few years left yet. Warne's suspension will most probably lengthen his career, and McGrath has publicly stated he is keen on a WC 2007 finish - I wouldn't rule it out. Lehmann is a seasoned performer who I can see going on for a few more years yet. Gilchrist, however, has been thinking about retirement on-and-off for a while so we need to nurse him through.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clingleffer is rank, if he ever plays for australia it will be a total joke, Tasmania have Dawson there, they should use him and everyone will see what a talent he is....

as for Haddin i thin hes very good, u have to remember hes barely even played for aus, a few games here and there makes it pretty tough to build a record...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I agree that Clingleffer shouldn't play for us, but I do think he is a good keeper, just without the batting skill:)

Simon

Yasir_194 said:
wat happened 2 wade seddecombe?
nothing happened to him, he went to sri lanka as the back up keeper, in all honesty, hes closer to playing for Australia now than he ever has been.

Linda

This is going to sound hilarious, and completely bias, but I only say it cos I saw him 'keep while Campbell was injured. Michael Hussey. No joke, I didnt even know it was him until they said the keepers catch was taken by Michael Hussey. And we know he can bat.
Perhaps he was just having a good couple of matches with the gloves, but you never know..

howardj

International Coach
Andre said:
I imagine that MacGill, Love, Hogg, Maher, Harvey and Elliott will gradually be weeded out of the side to stem the flow
Mate, I hope all the above blokes - with the exception of Love perhaps - have already had their files marked 'never to be picked again'. With the exception of Love, they've all had a good run, and haven't done much.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Andre said:
In the future, however, I think Manou might be an option if he shows the high level of improvement with both bat and gloves that he did late last summer. Clingeleffer, for mine, will never offer enough with the bat.
I have always been impressed with Manou's keeping but his batting needs a lot of work.

You can see he has obvious batting talent but he needs to change his back lift it's more circular than AA's lol.. ATM he is one of those batsman who looks a million bucks especially on a good flat wicket but good bowlers make him look very substandard.

Simon

howardj said:
Mate, I hope all the above blokes - with the exception of Love perhaps - have already had their files marked 'never to be picked again'. With the exception of Love, they've all had a good run, and haven't done much.
hogg and macgill never done anything?!?!

macgill is in the worlds top 3 or 4 spinners, hogg is out best 1d spinner for sure, both have the record to back it up too.

Mr. P

MacGill is the third best spinner in the world. Anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded. If he is not second in the spinning ranks behind Warne then it is criminal:@

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr. P said:
MacGill is the third best spinner in the world. Anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded. If he is not second in the spinning ranks behind Warne then it is criminal:@
I definitely wouldn't class him as 3rd best in the world. There's Warne, Murali, Kumble and going on recent form probably Giles before him.
But I agree his is the second best Aussie spinner, people are beginning to underrate him.

Waughney

International Debutant
On recent form, yes. MacGill has been poor of late. Were you asleep through the Australia versus India summer series? Did you not see Kumble's performances?
Giles has been in the form of his life and when you compare that to MacGill....

Mr. P

OK then. MacGills recent form hasn't been great. But you wouldn't be saying SRT isn't the best just because he was in his slump, would you?

I find it hilarious that you would even consider putting Giles ahead of MacGill...:D

Waughney

International Debutant
Mr. P said:
OK then. MacGills recent form hasn't been great. But you wouldn't be saying SRT isn't the best just because he was in his slump, would you?

I find it hilarious that you would even consider putting Giles ahead of MacGill...:D
OK, first of all, MacGill is not even close to Tendulkar's league. Tendulkar is an all-time legend whereas MacGill is a good player.
I am talking recent form with Giles, as I clearly stated before.
and going on recent form probably Giles before him.
Last 7 matches:
MacGill: 21 wickets at 47.95
Giles: 31 wickets at 26.16

Mr. P

So? That's exactly my point. The fact that SRT is an all time legend is completely irrelevant. Can't MacGill have proven himself clearly better then Giles too?

So maybe in the past 7 matches Giles has been better but you ain't always great. IMO MacGill is the better bowler and a measly 7 seven matches proves nothing. Either you say SRT is not close to top of the world or you agree with me. Your choice.:)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Waughney said:
OK, first of all, MacGill is not even close to Tendulkar's league. Tendulkar is an all-time legend whereas MacGill is a good player.
I am talking recent form with Giles, as I clearly stated before./QUOTE]

Well considering before the recent test series against India, MacGill had the best strike rate of any spinner including Clarie Grimmett, who all have a better striker rate than Warne.

I'm with Mr. P. There is no way that Giles is a better spinner than MacGill.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Secombe is by far anything but a waste in the One Day game. In recent seasons he has improved his ability to score quickly and has been around 75/80 s/r for the last two seasons. He just happens to do it, in the old style mold, down the order instead of up the order.