Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Haddin

International Vice-Captain
    Clingleffer for mine would be the best keeper in the country...I was really impressed by him in all the times i've seen him.

Manou is also very good, a bit of a hit or miss batsman, although he has changed that a fair bit.

Maher however IMO is the best bet after Gilly. I would certainly call him ODI standard and he is the only one aside from Gilly who is more then a very good bat.

Anyway, who else is there? (Throw Langer the gloves? - im being serious)

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Clingleffer is total crap, in keeping and batting. He has no chance.
    Maher's keeping is substandard.
    Langer can't keep, hasn't for a long time.
    Secombe isn't in the ODI mould.
    Hartley, now here is a man for the future, watch out for him. But doesn't have much experience and needs to fine tune his keeping.
    Campell throws his wicket away too much (more than Haddin)
    Manou is OK, but not ODI standard by a long way.
    That leaves Haddin, who IMO is still the best option. He has matured as a batsman (but still has a long way to go) and his keeping is of a good standard. He is opening to give him experience for the future, when Gilchrist retires.
    Last edited by Waughney; 06-09-2004 at 06:24 AM.
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

How many times have you seen Clingleffer play? He can't bat much, but I thought his keeping was good.

OK maybe Langer was a dumb suggestion, but better him then Manou etc. Mahers keeping isn't that bad, besides, he's a good batsman, and Gilly will leave a huge hole in the order.

The Australian selectors are keen on the 'like-for-like' selection replacements. With Campbell undergoing surgery, Haddin and Manou were the only real keeper/opener options. Haddin was obviosuly selected, but I don't think we will see a lot of him in the future.

Tasmania have 2 strong young keepers in David Dawson and Tim Paine, while Chris Hartley and Luke Ronchi will eventually emerge through Queensland and Western Australia respectively. If Nathan Pilon has stayed in NSW I would back him to overtake Haddin at some stage during the summer, but he has moved on the Victoria and will probably start behind Peter Roach and Adam Crosthwaite. Haddin has a virtual monopoly over the keeping role in NSW now so I don't quite understand Pilon's decision.

In the future, however, I think Manou might be an option if he shows the high level of improvement with both bat and gloves that he did late last summer. Clingeleffer, for mine, will never offer enough with the bat.

I don't think the selectors will consider Maher for future ODI keeping appearences personally.

I was surprised slightly to see that Gilly is nearly 33. He will most likely retire 3-4 years from now, so I guess in that time we will have to really start bringing up good keepers.

Australia really are aging. They're all going to retire a 2-3 year clump. Warne, McGrath, Martyn, Maher, MacGill, Love, Lehmann, Langer, Kasprowic, Hogg, Harvey, Hayden, Elliot, Gilchrist are all 30+.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P
    I was surprised slightly to see that Gilly is nearly 33. He will most likely retire 3-4 years from now, so I guess in that time we will have to really start bringing up good keepers.

Australia really are aging. They're all going to retire a 2-3 year clump. Warne, McGrath, Martyn, Maher, MacGill, Love, Lehmann, Langer, Kasprowic, Hogg, Harvey, Hayden, Elliot, Gilchrist are all 30+.
    I imagine that MacGill, Love, Hogg, Maher, Harvey and Elliott will gradually be weeded out of the side to stem the flow, with Martyn and Langer possibly in the same boat.

Kasprowicz is probably at the fittest and strongest stage of his career so I think he has a few years left yet. Warne's suspension will most probably lengthen his career, and McGrath has publicly stated he is keen on a WC 2007 finish - I wouldn't rule it out. Lehmann is a seasoned performer who I can see going on for a few more years yet. Gilchrist, however, has been thinking about retirement on-and-off for a while so we need to nurse him through.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Clingleffer is rank, if he ever plays for australia it will be a total joke, Tasmania have Dawson there, they should use him and everyone will see what a talent he is....

as for Haddin i thin hes very good, u have to remember hes barely even played for aus, a few games here and there makes it pretty tough to build a record...

Cricket Spectator
    wat happened 2 wade seddecombe?

I agree that Clingleffer shouldn't play for us, but I do think he is a good keeper, just without the batting skill

Quote Originally Posted by Yasir_194
    wat happened 2 wade seddecombe?
    nothing happened to him, he went to sri lanka as the back up keeper, in all honesty, hes closer to playing for Australia now than he ever has been.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    This is going to sound hilarious, and completely bias, but I only say it cos I saw him 'keep while Campbell was injured. Michael Hussey. No joke, I didnt even know it was him until they said the keepers catch was taken by Michael Hussey. And we know he can bat.
    Perhaps he was just having a good couple of matches with the gloves, but you never know..

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    I imagine that MacGill, Love, Hogg, Maher, Harvey and Elliott will gradually be weeded out of the side to stem the flow
    Mate, I hope all the above blokes - with the exception of Love perhaps - have already had their files marked 'never to be picked again'. With the exception of Love, they've all had a good run, and haven't done much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre

In the future, however, I think Manou might be an option if he shows the high level of improvement with both bat and gloves that he did late last summer. Clingeleffer, for mine, will never offer enough with the bat.
    I have always been impressed with Manou's keeping but his batting needs a lot of work.

You can see he has obvious batting talent but he needs to change his back lift it's more circular than AA's lol.. ATM he is one of those batsman who looks a million bucks especially on a good flat wicket but good bowlers make him look very substandard.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Mate, I hope all the above blokes - with the exception of Love perhaps - have already had their files marked 'never to be picked again'. With the exception of Love, they've all had a good run, and haven't done much.
    hogg and macgill never done anything?!?!

macgill is in the worlds top 3 or 4 spinners, hogg is out best 1d spinner for sure, both have the record to back it up too.

MacGill is the third best spinner in the world. Anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded. If he is not second in the spinning ranks behind Warne then it is criminal

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information