• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Haddin

ash chaulk

International Captain
C'mon now how many of ya'll also believe that there was someone else who could do a better job than what haddin has done since backing up adam gilchrist.

he would nealry be the worst batsmen in our squads list i believe his average is under 20 and highest score of like 38. Now honestly were is campbell!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Jimmy Maher should be there instead.

His battng is obviously good enough, and Ive seen him keep, and its not that bad. His keeping is far better than Dravids. Ide say it would be just below Geraint Jones' kepping.

I think he would be a perfect replacement for Gilchrist in ODIs.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ash chaulk said:
C'mon now how many of ya'll also believe that there was someone else who could do a better job than what haddin has done since backing up adam gilchrist.

he would nealry be the worst batsmen in our squads list i believe his average is under 20 and highest score of like 38. Now honestly were is campbell!
Campbell is injured and having surgery or something. You are definately correct about Haddin, he is crap! Maher, Secombe, Manou, Clingellefer are all better options than Haddin.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
Campbell is injured and having surgery or something. You are definately correct about Haddin, he is crap! Maher, Secombe, Manou, Clingellefer are all better options than Haddin.
Maher would have probably been the best option I guess, Haddin's average is higher than the other 3 in first-class cricket so.........I presume they were looking for someone who bats in the Gilchrist-style, but would have probably preferred the same total, not just a similar strike rate for 10 or so runs!

Last edited:

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gilchrist is a once in a lifetime player, for someone to bat and keep like he does is special so the replacements are bound to be much inferior but yes i agree Haddin doesn't look very good. Is he naturally an opener or has he been forced to bat there?

Son Of Coco

Dar said:
Gilchrist is a once in a lifetime player, for someone to bat and keep like he does is special so the replacements are bound to be much inferior but yes i agree Haddin doesn't look very good. Is he naturally an opener or has he been forced to bat there?
I think he's opened in one-day cricket at least a few times for NSW, but Maher would probably be the better choice by quite a long way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO James Maher is not an ODI standard player.
Nonetheless it seems incredibly odd when proven ODI openers such as Martyn and Lehmann bat at four and five while someone whose occasionally opened for his state faces the new-ball in an ODI.
Whether or not Gilchrist is a once-in-a-lifetime player (an ODI average of 35 is not exceptional by any standards, just very good when coupled with his strike-rate) it doesn't change the fact that no-one who's recently replaced him has looked like an ODI-standard batsman, let alone an exceptional one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lehmann has opened 4 times in ODI's, Martyn 7 times.

Please tell on what basis that makes them proven?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because between 1998 and 2002 Mark Waugh and Gilchrist were the first-choice opening pair and they only did it on occasions of rest.
And from 2002 onwards rarely have any combinations outside Gilchrist and Hayden been seen.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Still don't see how they can be proven though?
have a look at there records when they have opened though !!

And on Haddin he is a wasted talent he was a much better batsman 2 or 3 years ago when he looked like he could have developed into a real class player.

He was an awsome striker of the ball mostly with lofted drives but his pull's were great as well.

He seems to have gone backwards ever since he toned his game down and stoped opeing in OD game's for NSW.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Clingleffer for mine would be the best keeper in the country...I was really impressed by him in all the times i've seen him.

Manou is also very good, a bit of a hit or miss batsman, although he has changed that a fair bit.

Maher however IMO is the best bet after Gilly. I would certainly call him ODI standard and he is the only one aside from Gilly who is more then a very good bat.

Anyway, who else is there? (Throw Langer the gloves? - im being serious)

Waughney

International Debutant
Clingleffer is total crap, in keeping and batting. He has no chance.
Maher's keeping is substandard.
Langer can't keep, hasn't for a long time.
Secombe isn't in the ODI mould.
Hartley, now here is a man for the future, watch out for him. But doesn't have much experience and needs to fine tune his keeping.
Campell throws his wicket away too much (more than Haddin)
Manou is OK, but not ODI standard by a long way.
That leaves Haddin, who IMO is still the best option. He has matured as a batsman (but still has a long way to go) and his keeping is of a good standard. He is opening to give him experience for the future, when Gilchrist retires.

Last edited:

Mr. P

How many times have you seen Clingleffer play? He can't bat much, but I thought his keeping was good.

OK maybe Langer was a dumb suggestion, but better him then Manou etc. Mahers keeping isn't that bad, besides, he's a good batsman, and Gilly will leave a huge hole in the order.

Andre

International Regular
The Australian selectors are keen on the 'like-for-like' selection replacements. With Campbell undergoing surgery, Haddin and Manou were the only real keeper/opener options. Haddin was obviosuly selected, but I don't think we will see a lot of him in the future.

Tasmania have 2 strong young keepers in David Dawson and Tim Paine, while Chris Hartley and Luke Ronchi will eventually emerge through Queensland and Western Australia respectively. If Nathan Pilon has stayed in NSW I would back him to overtake Haddin at some stage during the summer, but he has moved on the Victoria and will probably start behind Peter Roach and Adam Crosthwaite. Haddin has a virtual monopoly over the keeping role in NSW now so I don't quite understand Pilon's decision.

In the future, however, I think Manou might be an option if he shows the high level of improvement with both bat and gloves that he did late last summer. Clingeleffer, for mine, will never offer enough with the bat.

I don't think the selectors will consider Maher for future ODI keeping appearences personally.

Mr. P

I was surprised slightly to see that Gilly is nearly 33. He will most likely retire 3-4 years from now, so I guess in that time we will have to really start bringing up good keepers.

Australia really are aging. They're all going to retire a 2-3 year clump. Warne, McGrath, Martyn, Maher, MacGill, Love, Lehmann, Langer, Kasprowic, Hogg, Harvey, Hayden, Elliot, Gilchrist are all 30+.:(