• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now a nation of 5m Scots have beaten Bangladesh...

gio

U19 Cricketer
... will we see Scotland being approved as an ICC ODI side? I really hope so. Ok, beating Banga isn't that great an achievment, and only winning 1 totesport league game is very poor. But I do see some potential from us Scots in the coming years, even if it is as an ODI side.

We have some decent pitches, decent players - some making it in the English counties (19yr old Kyle Coetzer and Gavin hamilton for Durham). If we can get some better funding, who knows? We have also made it into the ICC Intercontinental Trophy semis (ICC First Class competition for non-test nations).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The way I understand it neither of these games are List-A matches?
I'd understand the Bangladeshis not taking it too seriously, but nonetheless it's an alarming reflection of Bangladesh's status that there is a genuine chance they're weaker than most county sides.

Craig

World Traveller
Losing a practice match means absolutely squat to me, it doesn't prove or means anything.

That is what they are, practice matches.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering the standard of ODIs played by Bangladesh and the current Zimbos, Scotland should get ODI status and even play better than these two, particularly if they can draft their scottish borns and eligible players (especially ones who have no hope of ever playing for England), playing county cricket.

However if Scotland gets ODI status, what about Wales ? Shouldn't Wales, who can easily field an ODI team (Just Glamorgan Team alone) that can thrash Zimbo, Bangla and even Kenya and could even challenge the Windies[on a good day] be given ODI status as well ? I wonder if there is a case for Wales to go separate and try for ODI and Test status, given they do so in Rugby and soccer already.

This would give an opportunity for more players from County Cricket to play International Cricket and also prevent the decline in the quality of Teams that are coming through to claim Test and ODI Status IMO.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:
Wales already have an ODI side.

England and Wales (often refered to as "England").
What I am wondering is that, since England and Wales field separate Teams in Rugby and Soccer, why not do the same in Cricket too ?

Wales IMO has a good chance of beating all the contenders for the ICC trophy and even current 'ODI status' Teams like Zim, Bangla, Kenya and quite possibly Windies (on a good day).

Wales deserve this ahead of Scotland IMO, particularly since some of their good players have always found it hard to make it into England Team (due to the competition- likes of Crofty and Maynard etc) but would easily thrash some of the pretenders to 'ODI status' and the current Scotland make-up too.

Would it be fair for Wales to remain the bridesmaid while Scotland took up the baton to ODI status ahead of them .

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
You do realise that Bangladesh are messing around with players...Bashar is injured, so is Mushfiqur and Razzaq is in England getting his action fixed. Just wait until the NZ home series. Mashrafe Mortaza will be back, so with Shahriah Hossain, Habibul Bashar and Abdul Razzaq.

Also, Bangladesh won their first game comfortably and Scotland got home on the very last ball.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Wales IMO has a good chance of beating all the contenders for the ICC trophy and even current 'ODI status' Teams like Zim, Bangla, Kenya and quite possibly Windies (on a good day).

Erm no, I don't think they do.

Those Challenge matches where Wales has played England have shown the lack of players they have.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think it highlights the paucity in depth in Bangladeshi cricket, rather than any great shakes by Scotland...

If they can win a load of matches in the NCL, I might take a bit more notice of them..

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
How come that Mortaza guy never recovered from injury he looked pretty good.

And by the way Bangladesh are a disgrace to test playing nations. Its not the players fault, they need to be stripped of test status for two or three years and then the situation should be reviewed. there is no point going round the world losing to everyone in sight including Canada and Scotland

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dar said:
How come that Mortaza guy never recovered from injury he looked pretty good.

And by the way Bangladesh are a disgrace to test playing nations. Its not the players fault, they need to be stripped of test status for two or three years and then the situation should be reviewed. there is no point going round the world losing to everyone in sight including Canada and Scotland
Totally agreed, not the players fault.. I have no doubt that they all give 110% for their country..

Their admission though (lets face it, on the back of one dodgy WC1999 win against Pakistan) was absolutely bizarre...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
Considering the standard of ODIs played by Bangladesh and the current Zimbos, Scotland should get ODI status and even play better than these two, particularly if they can draft their scottish borns and eligible players (especially ones who have no hope of ever playing for England), playing county cricket.
NO, NO, NO!!!!!
Just because a mistake has been made in admitting Bangladesh to ODI status does not mean the same mistake must be made with Scotland!
With Scotland, we've done things the right way - we've admitted them to a domestic competition, seen that they're not even good enough to compete in that, and that shows beyond all question that they're not close to ODI standard.
Shame it couldn't have happened that way with Bangladesh.
However if Scotland gets ODI status, what about Wales ? Shouldn't Wales, who can easily field an ODI team (Just Glamorgan Team alone) that can thrash Zimbo, Bangla and even Kenya and could even challenge the Windies[on a good day] be given ODI status as well ? I wonder if there is a case for Wales to go separate and try for ODI and Test status, given they do so in Rugby and soccer already.
As has been said, Wales is basically Glamorgan - Glam have been part of the "England" set-up for 200 years or so like most counties, and there's no reason to change that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
As has been said, Wales is basically Glamorgan - Glam have been part of the "England" set-up for 200 years or so like most counties, and there's no reason to change that.
Cannot understand why Glamorgan play at Colwyn bay?? Thats like Somerset playing in Ipswich

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
Totally agreed, not the players fault.. I have no doubt that they all give 110% for their country..

Their admission though (lets face it, on the back of one dodgy WC1999 win against Pakistan) was absolutely bizarre...
Exactly, one dodgy win over Pakistan and they were given test status and the authorities have too much pride to admit they got it wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
AFAIK there's no provision in the Laws for the removal of Test-status.
Sadly, though I don't doubt that if there was ICC would still be highly reluctant to admit their mistake, even though it's as blatant as anything.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Cannot understand why Glamorgan play at Colwyn bay?? Thats like Somerset playing in Ipswich
Well, not quite, but it's very odd.
I think the distance between Cardiff and Colywn Bay is a little shorter than Taunton and Ipswich.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Well, not quite, but it's very odd.
I think the distance between Cardiff and Colywn Bay is a little shorter than Taunton and Ipswich.
Okay, if you want to get all technical its like Somerset playing in Bedford :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dass morr like i'.
Well... it might be, don't know that distance OTTOMH either...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cardiff to Colwyn Bay: 279.5km
Taunton to Ipswich: 350.9km
Taunton to Bedford: 267.5km

It used to be that the Glamorgan-Lancashire game was at Colwyn Bay every year, and usually over the Bank Holiday weekend. Divisions have messed that up a bit now, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Every year?
Does that mean they never played at Old Trafford?
Was it a traditional "neutral" fixture?