• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Current Fielder?

Waughney

International Debutant
Who is the worst current fielder?
Ganguly and Nehra immediately spring to mind. For Australia Darren Lehman has been known to be a bit 'slow' when chasing the ball.

masterblaster

International Captain
Ganguly has improved, did you see that catch he took to dismiss Strauss (I think?) of Sehwag's bowling?

That was a very good, athletic catch.

Ganguly may be pretty bad, but he's nowhere near the worst.

Look for Nuwan Zoysa and Ashish Nehra to fill up that category.

Waughney

International Debutant
masterblaster said:
Ganguly has improved, did you see that catch he took to dismiss Strauss (I think?) of Sehwag's bowling?

That was a very good, athletic catch.

Ganguly may be pretty bad, but he's nowhere near the worst.

Look for Nuwan Zoysa and Ashish Nehra to fill up that category.
What really gets me about Ganguly is that he gives a fellow fielder the glare when they make the slightest mistake in accuracy etc. and then 2 balls later the ball goes straight through his legs or he lets in a quick single because he was on the back foot. Lead by example....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was Ganguly?
He's such a funny case because he wasn't bad when I first saw him, he was still pretty good in WC99 too, but he's gone downhill since then.
Impossible to go beyond those big subcontinental left-arm second seamers, for me (Vaas and Khan being the primary ones, obviously).
Never seen anyone in international cricket worse, though both of them can usually catch an easy catch and a not-totally-straightforward one too.
Difference is, I rate Chaminda and Nuwan as bowlers, I don't rate Khan and Nehra at all.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
A year ago, Steve Harmison would have been a candidate, but over the last 18 months, the whole England team's fielding seems to have improved a lot.

Right now, I'd say it's either Ian Blackwell or, going by his dropped catch yesterday, Lakshmipathy Balaji. Chris Gayle's prone to a few mistakes, but I get the impression that's just because he can't be bothered! Also, his batting and bowling more than makes up for it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Just by looking at them, I'd say Robert Key, Steve Harmison, Chris Gayle and Shaun Pollock

explanations

a) Key looks like he's built for leisure rather than labour(yes, I know, he's actually pretty good, but he gives that impression, doesn't he?)
b) For Harmison, it's a loooooooooong way to the ground
c) I've seen Chris Gayle spill a couple
d) Pollock's a ginger :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
steds said:
Just by looking at them, I'd say Robert Key, Steve Harmison, Chris Gayle and Shaun Pollock

explanations

a) Key looks like he's built for leisure rather than labour(yes, I know, he's actually pretty good, but he gives that impression, doesn't he?)
D) So's Collingwood, you git...

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Anyone who says Ganguly is the worst current fielder is either prejudice against him or is talking out of his a$$hole. Do some of you even watch cricket? I'm not saying Ganguly is a Jonty Rhodes but to put him in the same class as Nehra, Zoysa etc is nonsensical to say the least. Its amazing how he attracts so many haters.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not amazing at all - he winds people up a lot, and some people can't really take it that someone so annoying is actually such a good batsman.
Personally I like his arrogance, I think it adds a hell of a lot to the game, and I think he's got plenty to be arrogant about - but some people don't.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Edwards and Nehra would have to be up there for me. Can be terrible in the field.

Although this subject is a hard one to touch on I think. Much easier to judge the best then the worst.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Nehra and Edwards are both capable of eliciting wonder with their ignominious fielding :)

And I remember a certain Mark Alleyne diving for the ball no less than three times before stopping it cleanly, not exactly an advertisment for greatness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Brilliant, that.
Always good when people totally mess the fielding up, but still manage to stop the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriously, I will be surprised if, in the last 3 years, Butchie hasn't dropped more than he's caught.
We can only imagine what might have happened at Lord's if he'd held Gilchrist on the 2nd morning.
As it is, all that's certain is that Gilchrist wouldn't have made more than 13 - nor more than whatever he was on on the other 3 occasions he was put-down that innings.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
steds said:

explanations

Gayle went almost a year without dropping a catch in Test cricket at the start of his career. He's a safe pair of hands if he keeps his concentration. The problem is that, like most of the West Indian fielders, he doesn't. I'm sure that this can be partly attributed to the fact that West Indies are almost always in the field for exorbitent amounts of time.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Ramnaresh Sarwan for me is a shocker in the slips cordon, and so is Mark Butcher.
Sarwan barely ever fields in the slips and hence hasn't floored many in that position. Not sure where that came from.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've certainly never seen him field there before Old Trafford but no disputing he had an absolute shocker in the two Tests - and not just in the slips (Thorpe, Mohammed).