• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Current Fielder?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In terms of fielding among wicketkeepers, Geraint Jones has a LONG way to go before he warrants a spot on his glovework alone. He has to stop giving those easy byes. Concentration is the key.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
I've certainly never seen him field there before Old Trafford but no disputing he had an absolute shocker in the two Tests - and not just in the slips (Thorpe, Mohammed).
As far as I remember, he caught one in the slips and probably dropped one too. That doesn't exactly qualify him as a bad slip fielder per se.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
In terms of fielding among wicketkeepers, Geraint Jones has a LONG way to go before he warrants a spot on his glovework alone. He has to stop giving those easy byes. Concentration is the key.
These days, no-one warrants a spot on glovework alone.
But personally, I think Geirant's glovework is, while not exemplary, more than acceptible.
Remind me, how many important catches has he dropped...?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Taibu does and I'd say that in general so do Boucher and Jacobs. Jacobs may not be the most flashy, but he's solid, consistent and doesn't make many genuine mistakes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
As far as I remember, he caught one in the slips and probably dropped one too. That doesn't exactly qualify him as a bad slip fielder per se.
I'm pretty sure he dropped at least two - plus the Thorpe-Mohammed one.
But no, you can't judge someone's prospects as a slipper on one game. But if he fields there again and repeats his performances of Old Trafford and The Oval, he'll be down with Butchie.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
These days, no-one warrants a spot on glovework alone.
But personally, I think Geirant's glovework is, while not exemplary, more than acceptible.
Remind me, how many important catches has he dropped...?
He may not have missed many catches, but those extras will hurt you against teams better than the West Indies. Australia for one certainly don't need any help in the runscoring department.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
I'm pretty sure he dropped at least two - plus the Thorpe-Mohammed one.
But no, you can't judge someone's prospects as a slipper on one game. But if he fields there again and repeats his performances of Old Trafford and The Oval, he'll be down with Butchie.
The thing is that he doesn't usually field there for the West Indies or Guyana, so you don't expect him to be amazing in the limited chances he'll get there at various levels.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Taibu does and I'd say that in general so do Boucher and Jacobs. Jacobs may not be the most flashy, but he's solid, consistent and doesn't make many genuine mistakes.
Jacobs and Boucher are brilliant wicketkeepers in that they infuriate opposition and opposition supporters (and let me assure you - they do) by fumbling only when it doesn't matter.
You just had to listen to the annoyance in Michael Atherton's voice when he came-out with "Ridley Jacobs hangs on - as he usually does when there's an edge".
And you can tell the smugness in Neil Manthop's comment "Boucher's 'keeping was untidy and he often fumbled the ball - except when a batsman had actually edged it".
Taibu rarely makes errors and he's one of about 2 (with Healey - at the second or third attempt) who've made keeping in England for a non-Englishman look easy in the last 10 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The thing is that he doesn't usually field there for the West Indies or Guyana, so you don't expect him to be amazing in the limited chances he'll get there at various levels.
No, I don't. It would be most unfair to do so.

Craig

World Traveller
Well if he is going to field there, do extra work with him to make him as sharp as you can get.

Knowing the lack of professionalism in the West Indies team, that wouldn't surprise me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He may not have missed many catches, but those extras will hurt you against teams better than the West Indies. Australia for one certainly don't need any help in the runscoring department.
Yeah, those 8 needless byes will sure make all the difference in those innings-and-200-run thrashings! :)

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Sarwan barely ever fields in the slips and hence hasn't floored many in that position. Not sure where that came from.
It came from watching him in England.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
It came from watching him in England.
When he fielded there in a couple of Tests and made a couple of mistakes. That's a silly judgement based on so little.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
When he fielded there in a couple of Tests and made a couple of mistakes. That's a silly judgement based on so little.
yeh i think when you make the judgement about the person.. it should be on the span of his career in general..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Well if he is going to field there, do extra work with him to make him as sharp as you can get.

Knowing the lack of professionalism in the West Indies team, that wouldn't surprise me.
There's no indication that he is going to field there. The West Indies had a make-shift slip cordon so far this year because Lara and Gayle, the two main slippers, have had hand injuries of sort. The second part of your comment doesn't make sense, although I gather what you mean to say - "... it wouldn't surprise me that he doesn't."

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Nehra is by far the worst fielder I hv seen.. Thank God, he atleast hangs on to most catches...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And I can't be alone in noticing he didn't make that many runs against the West Indies...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:

I think on tour he's better off practising his batting, especially seeing as it was mid tour he switched - so very little time to get used to it.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I think he stands in terms with Parthiv Patel.. i feel the same about patels glovework aswell..