• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most inconsistent player

Craig

World Traveller
For me the list of most inconsistent cricketers are:

Ajit Agarkar
Robert Key
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Brett Lee

Team: Pakistan

Craig

World Traveller
Afridi is hit six or get out.

It is a shame for somebody who has lots of natural talent to consistently fail at the international level. If he matured, or went back to the basics of batting, he could develop into a Andrew Flintoff style all-rounder.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think Flintoff is a great examplke for somone like Afridi to follow.

I never though Flintoff would amount to much.

Sudeep

International Captain
I wouldn't say Afridi is inconsistent.

One can be inconsistent if he does well only in patches, and is mediocre rest of the time. Afridi's no good all the time.

Rather, he's consistently poor.

And I'm talking purely in the context of batting... I quite like his bowling though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ has more than its fair share of inconsistent players, McMillan, Astle, Adams...

From other countries I would have to agree with those already mentioned, particularly Sehwag and Sami.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sudeep said:
I wouldn't say Afridi is inconsistent.

One can be inconsistent if he does well only in patches, and is mediocre rest of the time. Afridi's no good all the time.

Rather, he's consistently poor.

And I'm talking purely in the context of batting... I quite like his bowling though.
Amen to this, too.
If Afridi was more accurate he could be better than Kumble, and I mean that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The most inconsistent player in The World, beyond all question, is Chaminda Vaas.
One Test-series he'll get 2 for 300, the next he'll get 15 for 300. One ODI he'll get 3 for 24, the next he'll get 1 for 56 or go for 40 off 7 overs.
None of these players can even remotely compare.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Sami is one of the most consistently poor bowlers I've seen in recent years.
Test-average of 46.
True, although us NZ supporters remember all too well his spell of 5 wickets for 1 run in one of the ODIs in Pakistan, and he also did something similar (but not quite as dramatic) in the 2nd innings of the Hamilton test last summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
Has to be Ajit Agarkar.
"Honourable" mentions:
Vaas
Lee
Sehwag
How can Agarkar be more inconsistent than Chaminda?
He bowls searing spells occasionally, very poorly very often; Chaminda it's even more pronounced and just about half-and-half.

Waughney

International Debutant
Richard said:
How can Agarkar be more inconsistent than Chaminda?
He bowls searing spells occasionally, very poorly very often; Chaminda it's even more pronounced and just about half-and-half.
Vaas consistently churns out good figures, often he also has to bowl in conditions which favour the spinners so sometimes it is easy for him to miss out. Agarkar produces enough good and bad performances to be classed as inconsistent (unlike Afridi) In recent times he has been very inconsistent (i.e. 6/46 V Australia then poor figures, 50 in VB series final and then no good scores)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing about Chaminda is we've seen time and again that he's more than capable of bowling brilliantly in all conditions.
In ODIs I'll grant you that he's more consistent than in Test-matches, but still if you took away the matches against substandard ODI sides (minnows, Kenya, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe-post-WC2003) I reckon good:bad would be about 50:50.

Waughney

International Debutant
Richard said:
Thing about Chaminda is we've seen time and again that he's more than capable of bowling brilliantly in all conditions.
In ODIs I'll grant you that he's more consistent than in Test-matches, but still if you took away the matches against substandard ODI sides (minnows, Kenya, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe-post-WC2003) I reckon good:bad would be about 50:50.
He has proven himself able to bowl in all conditions but never the less, it's bloody hard to do that on a consistent basis. No-one is denying that he is inconsistent, I guess I'll say he's just behind Agarkar, if not even.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Crazy thing is, he actually bowls well far more often in stereotypical "spin-friendly" conditions than he does in conditions which favour seam, swing, bounce etc.!
Just check his series-by-series averages. They make hugely odd reading for a seamer.