• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most inconsistent player

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
The most inconsistent player in The World, beyond all question, is Chaminda Vaas.
One Test-series he'll get 2 for 300, the next he'll get 15 for 300. One ODI he'll get 3 for 24, the next he'll get 1 for 56 or go for 40 off 7 overs.
None of these players can even remotely compare.
richard your talking about a fast bowler who bowls endlessly on flat batting tracks and also a fast bowler in a side well known for their spinners. their are times he'll get to bowl less than 10 overs in a test.

in all fairness im sure others on the board will agree with me on this, vaas has been very consistent of late and surely their are far more in consistent players than vaas.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Seeing as I haven't got anything else better to do with the time:

Sanford 10.92
Dillion 17.42 (was 8.81 before the 90 in SA that got him dropped)
Lawson 20.03
Drakes 33.44
Collymore 35.23
Edwards 35.97
Banks 38.73
Best 41.31
Collins 72.67 (he has a 102, 142 and 264 to go with a 15, 17 and 21)

Left-arm seamers, honestly. And because I can read minds:
Nehra 28.95
Zaheer 19.45
Pathan 26.87
Mullally 10.28
Wasim 12.66
O'Connor 24.90

Bear in mind that SDs become more reliable over time (and two series is highly inaccurate).
Is that why Mullally's is number 1 on the list for left armers?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Crazy thing is, he actually bowls well far more often in stereotypical "spin-friendly" conditions than he does in conditions which favour seam, swing, bounce etc.!
That reminds me more of L Balaji. He had very impressive figures bowling in India, but averaged 40's in South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies and England. He bowls a few inches short of a good length, so that the low bounce helps him. He bowls like a spinner, even bordering on that pace!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dude said:
richard your talking about a fast bowler who bowls endlessly on flat batting tracks and also a fast bowler in a side well known for their spinners. their are times he'll get to bowl less than 10 overs in a test.

in all fairness im sure others on the board will agree with me on this, vaas has been very consistent of late and surely their are far more in consistent players than vaas.
Vaas has only bowled less than 10 overs in a Test once. That was against Australia, who batted once and scored 228 runs. Aside from that he's bowled 19 overs v SA and 12 overs v Zimbabwe (he got injured!). In every other Test he has played, Vaas has bowled more than 20 overs.

As of his form lately...

Last 10 Tests Series Avges

v Eng - 22.25
v Aus - 34.27
v Zim - 26.16
v Aus - 33.71
v SA - 12.11

Those are still pretty inconsistent.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dude said:

When has Vaas ever bowled less than 10 in a Test?

Besides, a lot of his lesser performances haven't been in SL.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dude said:
so does that class him as the "MOST in consistent player" in the world?
80.00(+) - no wickets
154.00(+) - no wickets

From the sublime (14 wickets @ 15.42 in less than helpful conditions) to the ridiculous (4 wickets @ 108.50 in helpful conditions) in a matter of months.

Now that is inconsistent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
If his 1-215 in the SA Series of 2003 is omitted, it drops to 21.71.
Crikey, what a drop that is.
Still, I maintain that I reckon he'd be playing Test-cricket now if he'd come back 2 Tests later than he did.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
From the sublime (14 wickets @ 15.42 in less than helpful conditions) to the ridiculous (4 wickets @ 108.50 in helpful conditions) in a matter of months.
A matter of 15 months...
The conditions in England were nowhere near as helpful as might have been expected - that particular series started the plague of flat pitches in England.
IMO Chaminda bowled as you previously needed to bowl in England, when he'd have done far better to bowl as you need to bowl in Sri Lanka!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
because gough was so consistent?
Not the most consistent in The World, but as demonstrated by the omission of his final series, much more consistent that that would suggest.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Crikey, what a drop that is.
Still, I maintain that I reckon he'd be playing Test-cricket now if he'd come back 2 Tests later than he did.
I think you might be right (in place of the Anderson/Jones player)

masterblaster

International Captain
Its always been frustrating with Vaas. As somebody has already mentioned, he'd be one of the finest bowlers on earth if he'd performed as well overseas as he does in non pace friendly conditions.

Its amazing isnt it that sometimes all these pitch conditions dont really mean anything. Vaas knows how to bowl on dustbowls and that in itself is a very good asset to have as a fast bowler.