• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZL A in RSA

anzac

International Debutant
can anyone keep us posted as to how the tour goes - I know they started their 1st match yesterday but I can't find any news..............

:)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh..yesterday's match was only against a state side. Cricinfo might come to the party when the actual 'A' matches start.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
By the looks of it..NZ were only trying to get their players back to match-fitness..Marshall & McMillan did a bit of bowling.

The comments I read after the game were that they just used it as an extended practise, not a match per se.

Kent

State 12th Man
Brief scorecard: NZ A 289-6 dec (J How 61, T Canning 60 no, J Franklin 54, G Roe 4-43) and 68-4 (M Sinclair 28, G Bhayat 4-37) lead Hi-Veld Lions 175-7 dec (D Crookes 101no, R Sherlock 3-20, C Martin 1-15) by 182 runs

From www.nzcricket.co.nz.....

New Zealand A have a 182-run lead with six wickets in hand going into the third and final day of their opening tour match against the Hi-Veld Lions in South Africa.

New Zealand A scored 289 for six wickets declared on the first day, thanks largely to 61 scored by Jamie How, 60 not out to Tama Canning and 54 by James Franklin. Lions bowler Garth Roe took four wickets for 43.

Opening their innings at the start of day two yesterday, the Lions were in early trouble as Richard Sherlock, the highly-promising Nelson bowler, now playing in Canterbury, got among the batsmen to have them 29 for six wickets. Sherlock, who only made his first-class debut last summer for Central Districts, had three for 20 from his eight overs.

Chris Martin was also among the wickets and had one for 15, while Franklin took one for 18, Canning one for 20 and Paul Wiseman one for 38.

The Lions innings was restored by Derek Crookes who scored an unbeaten 101 off 148 balls before the home side declared at 175 for seven wickets.

New Zealand A in their second innings were 68 for four wickets with Mathew Sinclair out for 28. On this occasion it was right-arm medium-fast bowler Goolam Bhayat with four for 37 who was causing the problems.

The match is being played as a 12-a-side fixture and is therefore not regarded as a first-class fixture.

Kent

State 12th Man
I believe the Highveld Lions are one of SA's six new domestic franchises.

That would suggest they aren't exactly rabbits, so the performance by Sherlock is quite a noteworthy one. Hopefully he's done enough to keep playing, despite Bracewell suggesting he was pretty much a 15th man when the squad was named.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Extremely exciting to see Sherlock bowling again & successfully too.
I hope Jamie How has a good series, I think he is going to be a good opening bat for us in the future.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Day 3:

Peter Fulton 94 (122 balls)
NZ declared at 218/6.

Lions 147/4 at the end of the match
Sherlock 2/7 off 8 overs
How 2/36

Good to see Fulton score some runs & also Sherlock back in the wickets.

Kent

State 12th Man
So Sherlock dismissed 3 former test players (Bacher, McKenzie, Ontong) in his first 4 overs of the match, then took 2/7 in the second innings.

Just a warm-up game of course...but we did pick Butler on less!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well from reports i've heard from several different people..he's definately above 145 km's.

anzac

International Debutant
yep - managed to see that Cricinfo had the match posted on their site..........

How did reasonable at the top of the order with only Fulton showing anything from the other recognised batsmen...............I note How also got to use the ball in the 2nd innings and took 2/31 off 6.5 overs.........

great to see Sherlock amongst the wickets and with a good SR & RPO...........

a bit confused as to why neither Franklin nor C Martin bowled a ball in the 2nd innings.............

despite Bracewell's comments re Sherlock being the 15th man, I'd say they'd have to consider him for the 'Test' matches as he's obviously in some form.........if he keeps it up for the series he could be a dark horse for the senior tour later in the season.........as would any other player to show form thru' the series..............

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The 2nd innings became a bit of a joke...Vincent, How & Fulton were bowling the majority of the innings.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Matt Bell will struggle on this tour...he had an easy time against that weak Sri Lankan attack, but on the bouncy South African tracks I think he'll be found out.

I think the 4 players of interest to me on this tour are: Jamie How, Peter Fulton, Richard Sherlock & Bruce Martin. And then Ross Taylor in the ODI's as it seems he won't be in the test side.

If these 5 players have good performances in South Africa, they could go a long way to securing a spot to Bangladesh in a few months time.
Unfortunately I still think Bell, Sinclair & Vincent are higher in the pecking order.

cbuts

International Debutant
why do u get the impressoin that he wont play tests? wasnt his f/c average this season no.1? great to see sherlock giong well. imagine butler bond and sherlock - although i do think bond is gone

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
He topped the averages in the domestic one day games. Don't think he had quite the success in the 4 day games. Its unfortunate he might not play the 'tests', I'd rather see him there than some others.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
No I meant Taylor won't play in the NZ 'A' tests v S.A 'A'.

Butler won't make the side if Bond & Sherlock come together...he's going to really have to lift his game.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
doubt bond will properly come back though ! i really hope he does but its a sure that he will get injured anytime shortly after that..

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
I think Matt Bell will struggle on this tour...he had an easy time against that weak Sri Lankan attack, but on the bouncy South African tracks I think he'll be found out.

I think the 4 players of interest to me on this tour are: Jamie How, Peter Fulton, Richard Sherlock & Bruce Martin. And then Ross Taylor in the ODI's as it seems he won't be in the test side.

If these 5 players have good performances in South Africa, they could go a long way to securing a spot to Bangladesh in a few months time.
Unfortunately I still think Bell, Sinclair & Vincent are higher in the pecking order.
Do you think this could have any bearing on New Zealand's tour of Australia in the next month or two?