Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZL A in RSA

International Debutant

Icon5 NZL A in RSA

can anyone keep us posted as to how the tour goes - I know they started their 1st match yesterday but I can't find any news..............

Tim
    Im surprised Cricinfo haven't been covering this series as generally most 'A' matches in South Africa are shown.

It took several days..but they've finally put up the NZ v Somerset warm-up scorecard: http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/20...02SEP2004.html

By the looks of it..NZ were only trying to get their players back to match-fitness..Marshall & McMillan did a bit of bowling.

Tim
    Oh..yesterday's match was only against a state side. Cricinfo might come to the party when the actual 'A' matches start.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    By the looks of it..NZ were only trying to get their players back to match-fitness..Marshall & McMillan did a bit of bowling.

The comments I read after the game were that they just used it as an extended practise, not a match per se.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

State 12th Man
    Brief scorecard: NZ A 289-6 dec (J How 61, T Canning 60 no, J Franklin 54, G Roe 4-43) and 68-4 (M Sinclair 28, G Bhayat 4-37) lead Hi-Veld Lions 175-7 dec (D Crookes 101no, R Sherlock 3-20, C Martin 1-15) by 182 runs

From www.nzcricket.co.nz.....

New Zealand A have a 182-run lead with six wickets in hand going into the third and final day of their opening tour match against the Hi-Veld Lions in South Africa.

New Zealand A scored 289 for six wickets declared on the first day, thanks largely to 61 scored by Jamie How, 60 not out to Tama Canning and 54 by James Franklin. Lions bowler Garth Roe took four wickets for 43.

Opening their innings at the start of day two yesterday, the Lions were in early trouble as Richard Sherlock, the highly-promising Nelson bowler, now playing in Canterbury, got among the batsmen to have them 29 for six wickets. Sherlock, who only made his first-class debut last summer for Central Districts, had three for 20 from his eight overs.

Chris Martin was also among the wickets and had one for 15, while Franklin took one for 18, Canning one for 20 and Paul Wiseman one for 38.

The Lions innings was restored by Derek Crookes who scored an unbeaten 101 off 148 balls before the home side declared at 175 for seven wickets.

New Zealand A in their second innings were 68 for four wickets with Mathew Sinclair out for 28. On this occasion it was right-arm medium-fast bowler Goolam Bhayat with four for 37 who was causing the problems.

The match is being played as a 12-a-side fixture and is therefore not regarded as a first-class fixture.

State 12th Man
    I believe the Highveld Lions are one of SA's six new domestic franchises.

That would suggest they aren't exactly rabbits, so the performance by Sherlock is quite a noteworthy one. Hopefully he's done enough to keep playing, despite Bracewell suggesting he was pretty much a 15th man when the squad was named.

Tim
    Extremely exciting to see Sherlock bowling again & successfully too.
    I hope Jamie How has a good series, I think he is going to be a good opening bat for us in the future.

Tim

Tim
    Day 3:

Peter Fulton 94 (122 balls)
    NZ declared at 218/6.

Lions 147/4 at the end of the match
    Sherlock 2/7 off 8 overs
    How 2/36

Good to see Fulton score some runs & also Sherlock back in the wickets.

State 12th Man
    So Sherlock dismissed 3 former test players (Bacher, McKenzie, Ontong) in his first 4 overs of the match, then took 2/7 in the second innings.

Just a warm-up game of course...but we did pick Butler on less!

Do you know fast he can bowl?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Tim
    Well from reports i've heard from several different people..he's definately above 145 km's.

International Debutant
    yep - managed to see that Cricinfo had the match posted on their site..........

How did reasonable at the top of the order with only Fulton showing anything from the other recognised batsmen...............I note How also got to use the ball in the 2nd innings and took 2/31 off 6.5 overs.........

great to see Sherlock amongst the wickets and with a good SR & RPO...........

a bit confused as to why neither Franklin nor C Martin bowled a ball in the 2nd innings.............

despite Bracewell's comments re Sherlock being the 15th man, I'd say they'd have to consider him for the 'Test' matches as he's obviously in some form.........if he keeps it up for the series he could be a dark horse for the senior tour later in the season.........as would any other player to show form thru' the series..............

Tim
    The 2nd innings became a bit of a joke...Vincent, How & Fulton were bowling the majority of the innings.

Tim
    I think Matt Bell will struggle on this tour...he had an easy time against that weak Sri Lankan attack, but on the bouncy South African tracks I think he'll be found out.

I think the 4 players of interest to me on this tour are: Jamie How, Peter Fulton, Richard Sherlock & Bruce Martin. And then Ross Taylor in the ODI's as it seems he won't be in the test side.

If these 5 players have good performances in South Africa, they could go a long way to securing a spot to Bangladesh in a few months time.
    Unfortunately I still think Bell, Sinclair & Vincent are higher in the pecking order.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information