• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZL A in RSA

Mingster

State Regular
Astle will bowl again in the near future. That's what Bracewell and Astle said in the Herald.

Sinclair will get his chance in Test colours again soon enough, but now it is Marshall's turn.

Kent

State 12th Man
Dear oh dear - don't tell me they really are going to play Matthew Bell in this OD series! What a waste!

It would be a shame if they've pinned down Fulton as mainly a test prospect. His State Shield record should make him one of the first players picked for this side, and it's hardly his fault he had to dig us out of holes in the 4-dayers.

Interesting that Jeetan Patel was sent over there to replace Bruce Martin, rather than say a Sulzberger or Matt Hart who are pretty well-performed OD all-rounders.

Kent

State 12th Man
Sinclair did score a ton for the North Island as an opener, if anyone is wondering who I'd like to see rather than Bell.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah let us hope they are just resting him.

I guess they are looking at blooding young players at the moment, Matt Hart is getting on in age and I'm not sure how old Sulzberger is, but he has been a round for awhile.

I think Bell is there for his captaincy really.

Mingster

State Regular
Captaincy? Screw that. This tour was to not bloody captaincy, we already have a fine captain in Fleming, and backups in Cairns, Oram and Vettori.

Lou Vincent is a name that might feature later on this year and early on next season, he's been in very good form since he was dumped from the NZ squad, and in my mind is a middle-order batsman. Not an opener or 3. Don't count out Mason for a recall either for the ODIs, one nervous Test debut does not make him a bad player.

Jeez, if Ross Taylor continues this mighty form, he's a dead cert for the Bangladesh ODI squad. The Bangladeshies won't know what's hit them...

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Pity for Vincent we already have a middle order. Part of me would love to see Taylor in there against Bangladesh, hell I'd love to see him open.

Of course that won't happen.

Mingster

State Regular
I'm not sure whether our middle-order problems is all sorted in ODIs. We seem to have too many "big hitters" in our middle order, the likes of Styris, Cairns, McMillan and Oram, while there isn't a player like Marshall or Vincent to break that up. An option would be to promote McCullum up the order, to possibly 6 or 7.

anzac

International Debutant
I'm disappointed to see Bell opening in the ODIs - he's slow enough when he's got 5 days to play with..............

I'd much rather see Sinclair open with How, as Sinclair has filled in as opener in the full squad b4 - that would then open the middle order to have Fulton at #3, followed by Taylor (or visa versa), and Vincent at #5.............which doesn't look at all bad for me................

great to see Vincent scoring well - if he can keep it up he could push for Macca's spot in the ODIs - he'd probably get the nod ahead of Taylor & Co at this stage...........

from what I remember, IMO the biggest strength of players like Sinclair, Vincent & Marshall is that they are 'partnership' players & work to develope partnerships & rotate the strike as well as stick around (Sinclair may be a bit slow to start with but gets better once he's been in a while)..........they don't seem like they need to dominate the strike or play the extravagant shot - Vincent used to appear that way when opening in ODIs, but seems to have a different mind set when batting down the order - I keep thinking about that innings at Jade when Bond went off with the bat..........

Sherlock was expensive but took 5 for...............just like Franklin in the Tri-Series - ok so long as the guys at the other end are able to keep it tight........but either way we need genuine 'strike' bowlers who can & will take wickets.............

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:
I'm not sure whether our middle-order problems is all sorted in ODIs. We seem to have too many "big hitters" in our middle order, the likes of Styris, Cairns, McMillan and Oram, while there isn't a player like Marshall or Vincent to break that up. An option would be to promote McCullum up the order, to possibly 6 or 7.

agreed - and if we don't see a change in personnel, then I'd like to see a more flexible batting lineup.........

McCullum did well in the ODI series in IND when he came in when NZL were in some trouble.............I seem to remember decent partnershps with Oram, Styris & Macca at different times..............

I know Cairns said that he liked to get in early & build his innings after he scored that winning ton v RSA in AUS, but that was a few years ago now & he hasn't really shown any consistency with the bat since then.............

if we were in the crap then I'd like to see McCullum in ahead of even Cairns depending on what was happening re pitch etc..............but I really think the damage has been done by then & would prefer to see a change of player re the Styris - McMillan - Cairns - Oram run from #4 - #7 .............

Kent

State 12th Man
Mingster said:
Lou Vincent is a name that might feature later on this year and early on next season, he's been in very good form since he was dumped from the NZ squad, and in my mind is a middle-order batsman
I actually think Vincent has been a bit disappointing on this tour so far. I heard Ian Smith mention the selectors would be bending over backwards to take Vincent back to AUS, but I'm afraid one 50 against SA 'A' on the highest-scoring pitch of the series just won't justify it.

Mingster said:
Jeez, if Ross Taylor continues this mighty form, he's a dead cert for the Bangladesh ODI squad. The Bangladeshies won't know what's hit them...
But we already knew there are few Kiwis better than Ross Taylor at bullying the Pretoria High School Old Boys or village cricketers in Norwich!

I just hope that doesn't make him the new McMillan, because I think he can be better than that.

Mingster

State Regular
Ross Taylor is still young, very young, I don't think he will turn into the next Craig McMillan. Vincent was in amazing form in the State Champs after he got dumped as well.

About where to bat Cairns in the ODIs, I think 7 is better. I just haven't seen him build an innings from batting at 6 for a long time. I hear his dad, Lance, prefers his son to bat earlier in the order to get his eye in early and build his innings. But I think other players would do that job better than Cairns.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
The problem with Cairns is he still doesn't know what ball to attack. He is constantly out trying to clear the field. When he thinks he is in the zone, every ball must go. He just doesn't show the maturity in building an innings.

McCullum does deserve to bat a bit higher. I think he should bat higher than Oram in ODIs. Oram has a lot of potential but he hasn't really shown it in ODIs with the bat at all.

I personally don't see Vincent going to Australia at all. He had an amazing debut, but since then, yeah. Expect Richie and those other bias comentators to be constantly asking about him.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
I agree, i think that McCullum should bat around 5/6 as he is a different type of batsman compared to macca, styris, cairns and oram. He can push the singles at one end, and at the other have some brute force.
McCullum has had good partnerships with oram and maybe styris(?) before. For example the queenstown onedayer v pakistan and nz had started to crumble, but mccullum and oram batted well together both reaching 50.
I agree that oram does have potential as shown v auckland in the state shield last year where he batted at 4/5 and scored 125, but it also seems that when he and cairns bat together the partnership doesn't last long as one of them plays a rash shot early on instead of pushing the singles and then hitting 4's and 6's.

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
I actually think Vincent has been a bit disappointing on this tour so far. I heard Ian Smith mention the selectors would be bending over backwards to take Vincent back to AUS, but I'm afraid one 50 against SA 'A' on the highest-scoring pitch of the series just won't justify it.
while I agree with what you are saying - recent history seems to suggest that only applies if you are NOT a current squad member..............

by that I mean it seems to have kept Macca's career going to date, and Cairns did similar in the warm ups prior to the ICC, but then posted single figure scores in the main games - not to mention his bowling contribution....

IMO a few more players should be starting to look over their shoulders, as Braces has now started droping / sidelineing players on a regular basis now...........

Vincent & Jones after PAK loss, Mason after RSA series, Papps is struggling for a place in the starting side, Macca's not selected for BAN squad.............

anzac

International Debutant
Mingster said:
just another comparison...........

the thing I like about the Aussies batting & their 'advance the game' philosophy, is that after scoring a boundary they look to follow it up with a single (unless it's another bad ball)...........thus they avoid the 'red mist' and continue to rotate the strike & put together a partnership...............something that the NZL middle order 'hitters' does not look to do................

IMO NZL lost v AUS in the ICC because they were unable to remove Hayden, who was able to survive long enough to keep the innings ticking over.........and likewise AUS lost v ENG because they were unable to get those same partnerships going, whereas ENG did.................then same happened in the final..........

so it would seem that partnerships are the name of the game (nothing new there), but our middle orders in both forms of the game seem unable to do so , or to hang around long enough to anchor the innings.............

Mingster

State Regular
Tama Canning continues to impress, a solid 90-odd today off 80-odd balls. He bowled extremely well, 10 overs, 4 maidens, for 15 runs!

Sadly, our top and middle order collapsed.

Kent

State 12th Man
Fulton, Sherlock and Franklin were left out this morning I see. If these selections were done on merit and potential (rather than the "we're a long way from home so let's give everyone a turn" method), I'd be playing all three.

The scorecard from this morning's game reads a lot like something from the Black Caps' bad old days - get a team 86/5, don't finish them off, p*ss away massive runs in the last ten....in the end wasting one player's outstanding performance (Canning) by losing!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Taylor won't become a McMillan, im sure of that. A) Taylor moves his feet & B) I think Taylor is level-headed & not overally arrogant about his abilities.

Let's face it...what other experience has Ross Taylor had overseas apart from some sunday league demolitions in England? the more experience he gets overseas now the better he'll be in 2 years time for NZ.
Likewise with Sherlock....quite clearly, he is not ready for international cricket either.

There were 2 positives to come out of that tour...Sinclair & Fulton.