• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZL A in RSA

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I dont think there is a fielding allrounders spot!

Im sure fielding comes into the equation, but only if people cant be split.

But as for Marshall, could you really drop him? Hes been a resounding success! I think McMillan has more to worry about.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
6/1..lol Bell out already..surprise surprise.
Exactly my thoughts.. why in the world is he being persisted with.. just because he puts on some odd performances in the State Championships doesnt mean he should be picked for Nz 'a' and put up for contention yet again .. hes been given his set of chances and he didnt make it..

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
No Sherlock?!

If he's not injured, that's almost a scandal IMO. Perhaps a case of a sidekick sticking to Bracewell's blueprint rather than using some common sense.
we are talking about the same bloke that took an ODI side to PAK recently aren't we...............and didn't change a bloody thing to try and mix it up to avoid a 5-0 whitewash................I know there were lineup changes between the games but he didn't mix these up - same players exchanged everytime wasn't it.............

anzac

International Debutant
I'm also picking that this lineup was predetermined at the start of the tour, and that the likes of Marshall & Sherlock will get a start in at least 1 of the remaining 2 'Tests' - Marshall played in the A 'Tests' v SRL A & scored well enough from memory..........I'm sure they are looking to see if he can repeat his form from his Test debut in RSA, with a view to him coming into the Test squad to add some stability into the middle / lower order - possibly / probably at the expense of Macca.......

having said that I'd still select Macca over Marshall on slow / low wickets, & give Marshall the nod on anything with decent height & carry..........

anzac

International Debutant
a good recovery by Sinclair & Fulton b4 NZL threw away 4 quick wickets just b4 stumps to be 7/240 odd.....Sinclair scores a ton at a decent rate...........

just on the subject of batting positions in the full squad - I don't think that Astle is all that secure either - IMO he is another player like Macca & Co who does not do that well away from Home - his averages in ENG, PAK, RSA & SRL are just as bad as Macca & Co..........it would seem that the majority of our batting is made up of players who can score well at Home, and those that have been discarded have been those who perform the opposite........

the sooner we get some genuine depth into our batting (batsmen who can score Away from NZL) the better.............or the selectors start picking 'horses for courses'..........

8-)

Craig

World Traveller
241-7 after day 1.

Mathew Sinclair got a 100, and Ross Taylor a golden duck. Here's hoping second time around.

Kent

State 12th Man
Sadly I've heard Bruce Martin is out of the tour with a terrible shoulder injury, which could sideline him for up to 6 months.

It seems NZ A were going along nicely in this match until Sinclair was bowled by a shooter, then Taylor wondered across his stumps to be LB next ball. Unfortunately the SA batting looks like their stronger suit, so a draw might not be a bad result from here. I'm not sure if Taylor is up to being the 4th innings hero with his off-spinners!

shaka

International Regular
Day 2 update: NZ 253 for 7, no wickets lost today which is good so far, 100 overs so far Canning:8* and Hopkins 7*

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
Sadly I've heard Bruce Martin is out of the tour with a terrible shoulder injury, which could sideline him for up to 6 months.

awww hell no..............how did that happen???????

is Redmond fit to go over as replacement???????

I guess that means Wiseman inherits the #2 position again behind Vettori.............

anzac

International Debutant
NZL all out for 328...........

RSA 89/2 after 30 oves - wickets to Martin & Canning...........Mason going at 4+ RPO..............

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
140/4 after 56 overs mind you!..South Africa going very slowly by stumps.
Tama Canning taking 3/20 odd.

anzac

International Debutant
Canning won't be doing himself any harm - he didn't do too badly in PAK considering...........

I see he's described as being f/med - what sort of pace has he got - is he a genuine contender??????

I still think that M Walker would be preferred when fit - better batting & bowling variation...........

Kent

State 12th Man
anzac said:
Canning won't be doing himself any harm - he didn't do too badly in PAK considering...........

I see he's described as being f/med - what sort of pace has he got - is he a genuine contender??????
If I was driving past when Canning was bowling at my local club ground, let's just say I wouldn't exactly pull over. Unless it was to yell 'put some puff into it, trundler!'.

It's good that he's done well against a useful batting line-up, but the slow scoring rates and the number of times I've read 'kept low' in the text commentary suggests this pitch might be more Eden Park than typical SA conditions.

Four catches out of four dismissals for Hopkins - at least one of which was described as a blinder. He's starting to look like he might have one of those unlucky careers, unless McCullum's batting really flourishes and he chooses to do a Sangakkarra.

Kent

State 12th Man
anzac said:
awww hell no..............how did that happen???????

is Redmond fit to go over as replacement???????
I only know about Bruce Martin's injury through hearing it mentioned briefly on radio. That stemmed from an article in the Waikato Times, which unfortunately google can't find for me.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe that Ross Taylor had two duck's against S.L 'A' in the ODI's & now a 0 against S.A 'A'. That suggests to me, he's nowhere near ready to start playing international cricket yet.

I think the 3 players contesting for a spot on the Bangladesh tour are Sinclair, Vincent & Fulton.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Canning bowls between 120 km's & 125 km's. So he's definately not RFM. Although I have noticed that Cricinfo do seem to make a mess of who they justify as being RFM, RF etc.

I would imagine though that on the bouncy South African tracks, Canning would be a difficult customer.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
S.A 'A' 156/6..McKenzie & Adams out this morning. Pretty good for NZ so far.

shaka

International Regular
163 for 6 after 73 overs, Lou Vincent has come on to bowl, first over only conceding one run, that is pretty good. His best domestic one day game is 1 for 8

shaka

International Regular
197 for 6 no further loss, Chris Martin back on to replace the part timers / first time bowlers. Vincent 0/3 from 2 overs, Fulton 0/15 in 4 overs including 1 maiden,