• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielder in the World?

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Brett Lee is a good outfielder. (Some would say that's the only thing he can do well).

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
I believe Symond's outfielding deserves some more praise, does anyone else dive headfirst towards the boundary and save fours? Crazy *******.

Langeveldt

Soutie
kwigibo said:
I believe Symond's outfielding deserves some more praise, does anyone else dive headfirst towards the boundary and save fours? Crazy *******.
Yeah, works for me... Looks weird with grass stains down your shoulders but its better than going feet first and having those get in the way of getting at the ball...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
... high risk of injury aside and all...
Well most grounds I play on have a painted boundary line and no advertising boards so close to the edge!

Bit silly with a boundary rope though!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jnr. said:
Brett Lee is a good outfielder. (Some would say that's the only thing he can do well).
He can swing the bat with success occasionally and he can swing the ball away from the right-hander on a good line occasionally.
But the only thing he can do well consistently is field.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yes, but that's not really good fielding. That's just stupid.
How is it stupid? It saves runs, (and he never injures himself beyond grazed elbows), I was under the impression that would be a smart thing to do in this game.

anzac

International Debutant
not strictly on topic re 'the best'..............but keeping in vein with recent discussions..........

Mills' boundary work in the Home series v RSA was superb in a couple of matches - outstanding committment..............also Tuffey must rate a mention so far as his ground work goes - not just in ODIs where he can often be found inside the circle - see his work in the Home series v IND, but also at Test level - as per his run out in the Away series 2nd Test 2nd innings in IND.......outstanding efforts from a couple of big men & shown consistantly too.......

likewise Oram manages to cover a lot of ground for such a big man..............

in relation to an earlier post - Kenya would have to be doing bloody well to match the level & consistancy of the Black Caps, whom I rate as a better overall unit than RSA...........

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
kwigibo said:
How is it stupid? It saves runs, (and he never injures himself beyond grazed elbows), I was under the impression that would be a smart thing to do in this game.
It's stupid if it doesn't save runs and has no chance of doing so.
And believe me, I've seen him dive at boundaries without a cat-in-hell's chance of stopping the ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
kwigibo said:
It's stupid because it's a high injury risk and at the end of the day it's just a game. If you're one of those who considers winning more important than playing the game, it's still stupid because it could keep a key player out of competitive cricket for a while and that would harm a team more than saving a run or two.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It's stupid because it's a high injury risk and at the end of the day it's just a game. If you're one of those who considers winning more important than playing the game, it's still stupid because it could keep a key player out of competitive cricket for a while and that would harm a team more than saving a run or two.
Then why bother fielding at all? I appreciate the athleticism of modern fielding, and he pushes the envelope, it's great to watch that kind of dedication. Yes, it is just a game, what's wrong with playing the game? Diving around in the field was always some of the most fun to me, and doing something different and innovative is all the more.

Have you even seen him do what I was referring to? There's a lot of effort but very little serious risk involved. It's probably safer than going feet first, just harder to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
kwigibo said:
Then why bother fielding at all? I appreciate the athleticism of modern fielding, and he pushes the envelope, it's great to watch that kind of dedication.
Yeah, great to watch that kind of dedication, it might turn McGrath's figures from 10-0-26-1 into 10-0-25-1... 8-)
If he puts himself in danger of injury, it's not worth saving even 2 runs.
And IMO there's always some danger.
Same way there is no point going for a catch that might take your front teeth out for life if it'll just have the smallest possibility of affecting a single cricket match.