• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielder in the World?

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
ponting's fielding's gone down hill imo since he's become captain and now is only a "good" fielder not an "exceptional" one. Paul Collingwood gets my vote

Eclipse

International Debutant
Slats4ever said:
ponting's fielding's gone down hill imo since he's become captain and now is only a "good" fielder not an "exceptional" one. Paul Collingwood gets my vote

I dont agree only his catching has gone down but his ground feilding and direct hits have been better than ever in ODI's.

Andre

International Regular
Andrew Symonds for mine - he's an absolute freak athlete with excellent hands and a big arm.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
I notice everybody has mentioned someone from their own respective countries
It's always a case of looking favourably on one you've seen a lot of.

Anyway, for all-round fielding, I'll go with Ponting. :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
Brad Hogg would get my vote as the most lively feilder, he's either running around, jumping up and down or licking his lips with his tongue.
Brilliant fielder with his lip

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prince EWS said:
Paul Collingwood gets my vote.

But if Penney is still allowed in the rules, I change my vote.
Penney was quite magnificent until a couple of years ago, but Old Father Time gets to us all. I saw him a couple of times recently and he was still good, but not in the 'majestic' class.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Since captaincy Ponting has been fielding at backward point a lot less, the position he an Jonty owned for a good while.:)

I reckon one of Pontings best catches was the freak Boeta Dippenaar dismissal. Best reflexes ive seen among others. That ball went like a rocket and wow, did he dive to get it.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
And some of the catches he has pulled off at silly mid off were sensational.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Collingwood is an excellent fielder. Honourable mention of Robin Peterson as well. If nothing else, the man can field.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Got to be Collingwood for me, although Herschelle Gibbs is pretty sharp. Ramprakash was fantastic as well, but I feel age is catching up with him a little now.

Honourable mention to Jamie Dalrymple of Middlesex, who took one of the best backward-point catches I've ever seen in a game against Somerset recently, and I had the fortune to be directly behind him when he did it - think "Collingwood squared", although I'm not sure if he's that good all the time.

masterblaster

International Captain
Ponting, Gibbs, Collingwood, Kaif, Yuvraj, Akash Chopra (his short leg work is amazing), Hamish Marshall, Andrew Symonds, VVS Laxman (his slips work is very good), Andrew Flintoff.

Sachin Tendulkar is underrated, but really gives it his 100% every time in the field, he may not be sparkling brilliant but he's very solid in the deep and just about anywhere you put him on the park.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only one mention of Dwayne Smith in this thread and that was by me. Shocking really. He can match with Collingwood on the infield any day of the week and I don't think there are any better boundary fielders than he is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I'd say Gibbs, Symonds, Collingwood, Dwayne Smith, Yuvraj Singh, Imran Farhat and a few others are equal for-all-intents-and-purposes. Ponting just a fraction behind - 2 years ago he'd have been as good.
There are many, many good slippers - Inzamam, Dravid, Laxman, Warne, Hayden, Flintoff, Fleming, and probably plenty more I can't be bothered to name.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is it me, or have some of the catches in recent times been brilliant (think back to the Oval on the Friday - not 1 but 2 superb catches)

As time goes on, fielding standards continue to improve.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Is it me, or have some of the catches in recent times been brilliant (think back to the Oval on the Friday - not 1 but 2 superb catches)

As time goes on, fielding standards continue to improve.
There have been plenty of catches every bit as good as these throughout the last 10 years or so.
IMO fielding standards haven't improved significantly in that time.
I don't think they're likely to get much better, either - there will always be players who're not capable of being that good, and teams who are notoriously poor in the field.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Yuvraj, Kaif, Ponting, Symonds, Gibbs, Collingwood well above the rest..

Ponting and Symonds hv an edge though in the sheer number of times they hit the stumps!!

Masterblaster mentioned Sachin for out-fielding, I absolutely agree.. He has one of the best arms, and a very safe catcher and excellent fielder in the deep. There would be others like him, but I can't recall any more.