• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonty Rhodes as India's fielding coach?

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, its good that Jonty will have some input to do with Indian fielding/fitness alongside Andrew Leipus, John Wright and Greg King.

Wow Rhodes, Leipus, Wright and King now that is a pretty good quartet.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I doubt if Greg is really as good as his predecessor- the Indian team was very fit with Adrian as fitness trainer, but once he left, and Greg took over, injuries started raining in buckets.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully Dalmiya won't let him go as he did Leipus, Reid and Akram. Hmmm....'Reed' is back...

shaka

International Regular
It is good that he is using his expertise to use to help teach others, although i would have hoped he would have kept it closer, i.e. be fielding coach for South Africa, and to help Gibbs out of his current form slump.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Jonty Rhodes as India's fielding coach?

He can surely do a lot better than John Wright. Make him the main coach! His experience and expertise can convert this team into a tournament-winning outfit.
How can you even think about removing Wright as coach? He has contributed more than anyone else in India's rise upwards.

a great fielder doesnt always make a great fielding coach
Fair enough comment, but Jonty Rhodes seems like the kind of person who would be a good coach. Something about him, seems like he would do a lot of good.

NikhilN

International Regular
not the main coach...but the fielding coach for sure...India only has a few good fielders...the rest cause India the match at points and this would surely help the indian team

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
swervy said:
a great fielder doesnt always make a great fielding coach
Fielding is something very basic- he can get the players' basics right.

How can you even think about removing Wright as coach? He has contributed more than anyone else in India's rise upwards.
What rise upward? Inched upward, and crashed downward each time. They have not won many tournaments with him as coach- they have won more with Wadekar.

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Arjun said:
Fielding is something very basic- he can get the players' basics right.

What rise upward? Inched upward, and crashed downward each time. They have not won many tournaments with him as coach- they have won more with Wadekar.
Yes but under all the Indian coaches they had -- India could hardly win away. Weren't nearly all of Ajit Wadekar's wins on the subcontinent ?
At least under John Wright they have secured some test wins abroad.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
So Jonty Rhodes, SA's and maybe the World's best ever fielder could be India's fielding coach, while SA are struggling in the field.

Oh the irony. Let's lace it with a bit of sarcasm shall we. Ah, but the administrators know best. The side's fielding is great right now anyway.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DocHead said:
So Jonty Rhodes, SA's and maybe the World's best ever fielder could be India's fielding coach, while SA are struggling in the field.

Oh the irony. Let's lace it with a bit of sarcasm shall we. Ah, but the administrators know best. The side's fielding is great right now anyway.
I agree with the sentiments you display so passionately 99%.

Just one small point - the world's greatest-ever fielder was a DIFFERENT South African.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The main problem with teh Indian fielding is in the mind, they get far worse when it gets tough for the most part.

the reason Jonty is such a good fielder is that he is passionate about it, therefore practices it alot, works very hard at it and loves doing it in games.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Colin Bland?
Yes.

Just as fast, just as deadly, hit the stumps more often.

The masterclass he conducted after the first day of the Kent v South Africa game at the St Lawrence Ground in 1965 is a legend - picking up and throwing, continually knocking a single stump out of the ground.

It was recorded and televised for the local TV news (Southern Television) and I heard mention of it only the other day on TMS - this for a 5 minute snippet of film almost 40 years old.

This is another reason why cricket (and the 1965 tourists) won me over in a day.

And in the words of Max Boyce -

"I know - cos I was there"

shaka

International Regular
Colin Bland was an awesome outfielder, he practiced throwing at one stump from the boundary, and hit a high percentage of them, Rhodes used to be better at hitting the stumps and over recent years focussed on fielding and increasing his speed as opposed to hitting the stumps.

I feel that he would be a good fielding and or batting coach for the middle overs in a one day game, which is his strength, but I would prefer he focussed on helping the current SA squad first, before going to help other countries.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Spetsnatz said:
Yes but under all the Indian coaches they had -- India could hardly win away. Weren't nearly all of Ajit Wadekar's wins on the subcontinent ?
At least under John Wright they have secured some test wins abroad.
Good point, but it was the frequency of wins, as well as the way they played under Wadekar that makes him more effective. Wadekar was a tough man and demanded the best from his players- he would still do so. Under John Wright, they're not winning much at home either. One win is followed by a loss or even two. They're not even winning home series. Wadekar's men played spin well- this lot doesn't. He could have been a good coach, but was not given an extension.